Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yboord028 View Post
    I don't think it's a virus or malware. Happens to me too, if you wait long enough Windows eventually loads.
    I've waited more than a day, and nothing.

I just broke down and bought a new HDD, and I'll use the other one as backup after I transfer everything over.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    Dang, Guess mine is less serious

vCash
    Yeah. Whatever it is, it's a *****. I even got the Kapersky Rescue Disc, which is a bootable virus and malware scanner, so Windows doesn't even have to load to be scanned, and it found two things that didn't fix it.

It's a bizarre problem that doesn't even seem to have a single issue as the problem. It seems like a pretty big failure on the part of Windows.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    Sounds like Explorer.exe is failing on bootup. Can you ctrl+alt+del and bring up the task manager to see if 1. the explorer.exe process is running, 2. if you can kill the process and 3. see if you can go to file>new task and in the run command box type explorer.exe to see if your desktop loads?

I'm asking this assuming you haven't already gotten a new hard drive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by delfinko View Post
    Sounds like Explorer.exe is failing on bootup. Can you ctrl+alt+del and bring up the task manager to see if 1. the explorer.exe process is running, 2. if you can kill the process and 3. see if you can go to file>new task and in the run command box type explorer.exe to see if your desktop loads?

I'm asking this assuming you haven't already gotten a new hard drive.
    I did just go the new hard drive route, but when I was working on this (and actually I still have the old hard drive set up, so I could put it in if I felt like messing with it more before a format), trying to bring up task manager would never work. I think the problem was that there were two profiles on this computer, before my girlfriend got her own computer, and I'd have to choose one of those before it would let me open anything like that. But I'm just guessing at that.
    Visit my Blog.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    Anyone else ever get this? Apparently, it happens in all the recent versions of Windows.. XP, Vista, and 7.. but I've never seen it before until it randomly showed up in my Windows 7.

Basically, your computer will boot like normal, until you get to the desktop/login screen, and then all you have is a black screen with the mouse pointer, which you can move around, and that's it. People that don't have different user accounts to log into, and just go straight to their desktop, can even hear things opening up in the background, but they can't interact with them or see them. It's completely bizarre, and unlike the BSOD which leaves behind a record of the problem, there is none with this. It's almost like Windows doesn't know anything is wrong.

Problem is, there are about forty different solutions for it on-line, and when you can't even see your desktop in Safe Mode, they're all rather hard to try.
    No idea about this. But I read somewhere that in Windows 8 they might switch out the BSOD for a BSOD. B=Black this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by SFGiants4life View Post
    PC > Mac always and forever
    I own a PC, and I've always owned PCs. Even then I still freely admit that Macs are definitely way more reliable and well built than your average PC.

If not for the fact that gaming is a chore on Mac I'd get one.

Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by {Ron!n} View Post
    No idea about this. But I read somewhere that in Windows 8 they might switch out the BSOD for a BSOD. B=Black this time around.
    They're calling what I had the KSOD, as in blacK Screen of Death.

But yeah, if they just changed the color then whatever. If they end up going this route, then it'd be a big mistake, since you can't get to any dumps or anything to see where the error is.
    Visit my Blog.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12