Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

iPod touch is one-third of iPod, iOS sales to date

Apple has never broken out numbers for individual iPod models when it reports quarterly sales results, making it difficult to determine just how may iPod touches Apple has sold since the device's introduction in late 2007. However, the number was revealed this week after the complaint filed in Apple's lawsuit with Samsung was posted to PACER. According to the filing, Apple has sold "over 60 million" of the iOS-compatible devices in three and a half years.

To put some perspective on this number, we dug into Apple's quarterly reports since fiscal first quarter of 2008 to find out the total number of iPods sold since the iPod touch was first launched. (Apple's fiscal first quarter is October through December of the preceding year, so the first quarter of fiscal year 2008 is the first full quarter of iPod touch availability.) Including an estimated 10 million iPods for the most recent quarter, Apple has moved a total of about 188 million iPods since September 2007.

Apple said in its lawsuit that the 60 million figure counted sales through March 2011, which accounts for nearly one-third of all iPods sold since September 2007. Well-known Apple financial analysis blog Asymco is estimating that Apple sold 5 million iPod touches in the second fiscal quarter of 2011. If the estimates are correct, iPod touches are now half of all iPod sales.
    Source: Arstechnica.com

I thought you guys would be interested in this, there really isnt anything too important but it is certainly interesting. I honestly dont see them around that often so i am a bit shocked.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Everyone I know has a touch. Doesn't really surprise me.

The Future

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbobw241 View Post
    Everyone I know has a touch. Doesn't really surprise me.
    Really? I only know a couple of people who have them. They either have the older version (iPod Classic or Nano). I got one for free when i got my computer and gave it to my brother.

vCash
    I always thought the price of the iPhone is insane compared to the price of the Touch, because for the most part they do the same thing. Except obviously being able to make calls.

I can see many people buying the Touch outright. Ièm generalizing but people that want apps etc. but the Touch. People that want more portability and an even cheaper price go for the nano. I think many have updated from the Classic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I'll never update from the classic until they come out with an iTouch that can hold at least 200 GB (plus I have an iPhone 4, so very extraneous regardless).
    That is a big reason i would never consider getting one. I got a 32GB for free but i wouldnt have bought it otherwise.

vCash
    I have one but it really worn out so hopefully I can ditch it for an iphone or HTC phone since both are on verizion.

Introducing the Eagles O-Line

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    That is a big reason i would never consider getting one. I got a 32GB for free but i wouldnt have bought it otherwise.
    I guess it depends on the person. I'd never be able to use 32GB.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    lol I'd never listen to it all unless I was using Wav/Flac files.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    I bought the itouch strictly for music and the Internet for mail. If I'm going to blow money on a music player I might ad well get the most bang for my buck.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I'll never update from the classic until they come out with an iTouch that can hold at least 200 GB (plus I have an iPhone 4, so very extraneous regardless).
    This was the same exact issue i had. I have the 160 gb ipod but wanted the touch with the internet features and stuff...

then i got the iphone so it worked out in the end because i didnt want a phone and two ipods lol

speaking of ipod classics....when are they gonna re-design them..? i have had the same classic for almost four years and they havent changed the model at all. just increased/decreased the memory on them

vCash
    Not surprised I love my I pod touch and I only paid about 120.