Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Nelson Cruz + Bill Buckner

As a Baseball fan and being from Boston I actually enjoyed this World Series. I was just born when Bill Buckner had that ball pass through his legs. But after watching it so many times from just watching the baseball classics and highlights and now after 25 years I could say comfortably that Nelson Cruz has taken his place for that mistake in the outfield in game 6. The reason being is that with Bill Buckner was on his last legs with the Red Sox and they were tied going into that inning so the world series wasn't over because of that play, with Nelson Crus though, he had the ring for his whole team in his hands.

I would really like to hear from Ranger fans on their take on this play, even though he was a big reason why they got there in the first place!

i heard this on tv today and prior to hearing that, the thought never crossed my mind

not even close to buckner

If you want to hear from rangers fans, why not post this in their forum?

Nowhere close.

I think it was worse than Buckner. It might have been a slightly more difficult play (still routine), but like you said, that actually wins the world series. However, the difference is that it doesn't look as bad to the average person, or even a casual fan. A ball going through someone's legs is such an obvious error, way more than horribly misplaying a fly ball. So, it won't become as iconic, or infamous, of a play, but it should.

Nelson Cruz did the thing All outfielders are taught not to do: drift . Plus the world series was on the line! He shoulda went all out

^ There honestly was no reason for him not to go all out. He's just not a gamer (sorry)
    Last edited by GiantsNinersW's; 10-29-2011 at 03:43 AM.

I don't think this takes Buckner's spot. The gravity of the error might be worse, but Buckner's failure to make the play he missed was far more shocking that Cruz's.

This is worse than Buckner.

Cruz looked like such a lazy ******* going after that ball.

Me an my roomate were high and we completely thought the game was over, and then he just didn't even try.

im sorry but buckner was old, a 1B and the game was tied.

I can honestly say if I was the Rangers RF at that point in time the rangers would have won the WS, in Buckner's case if I was the Sox 1B I would have sent it to extra innings... thats what it really boils down to imo.

Cruz just failed... badly, seriously, being afraid of the wall when about to win the WS..... pathetic
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

not really.things like these are driven by reaction.

buckner was harangued red sox's fans acting like his gaff was done to personally torture them and one of the worst things to happen.

i doubt you'll see the same temperament from texas fans..so far hey havent
    Last edited by abe_froman; 10-29-2011 at 05:03 AM.

The guy was one of the reasons why the Rangers even made it that far which outweighs one mistake he made.

He completely cost the Rangers the Series on that non-play. It was the most pitiful alligator arm like play that I've seen since Bobby Abreu played for the Phillies. Regardless of what he did to get them there, he completely blew the Series for them and gave the momentum and the Series to the stinkin' Cardinals. I would trade him in the offseason. The Rangers had the Series locked up if he just would've done his stinkin job and caught the freakin ball.

even though cruz is a really good hitter.....cruz sucks at outfield.....period....this is not first time he missed a crucial play during the 2011 playoffs.....he is prolly worse than bucker.....now.....they are gonna look at this in years to come.....unless Texas wins a championship sooner than later......

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsNinersW's View Post
    ^ There honestly was no reason for him not to go all out. He's just not a gamer (sorry)
    This doesn't surprise of some peoples' description of him considering his behavior after he hit that GS. That bothered me the moment he did it that I could not enjoy what I just saw.

Quote Originally Posted by triciare View Post
    He completely cost the Rangers the Series on that non-play. It was the most pitiful alligator arm like play that I've seen since Bobby Abreu played for the Phillies. Regardless of what he did to get them there, he completely blew the Series for them and gave the momentum and the Series to the stinkin' Cardinals. I would trade him in the offseason. The Rangers had the Series locked up if he just would've done his stinkin job and caught the freakin ball.
    I was so glad to see him go and I feel that set the tone that Phillies now had a new attitude.
    Last edited by thefeckcampaign; 10-29-2011 at 06:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

Not that bad, he was playing hurt, maybe he really just couldn't get there. But hey, that's why great managers make defensive subs in the 7th (especially for outfielders that are playing hurt).

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast