Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

3 guys that can come cheap and turn our offense around

A couple years ago, all any of us talked about was how the Giants should go after Chris Davis. At the time, he would have cost us an arm and a leg. In the past two years, Davis has really struggled to hit for average and has fallen behind Mitch Mooreland at the 1B peking order. One thing he hasn't lost is his ability to hit for some serious power. Texas is mulling over the idea of calling him up and playing the outfield (he's been playing there in AAA). Why not take a shot at acquiring him? His value has never been lower. I realize he doesn't hit for AVG but on the Giants, who does? At least with him, instead of having having an outfielder hitting .250 with 6 home runs, we would have an outfielder hitting .250 with 30. Think of the difference that would make to our offense. I would also love for the giants to go after Mike Aviles and Michael Cuddyer.
    Aviles is a .300 hitter, 15HR 20 SB guy when given regular playing time. He's struggled this year and the Royals have sent him down. If you look at his games played this year, he batted in a different part of the lineup almost on a daily basis. Having a different role offensively on a daily basis has to have a negative affect on a player.
    Michael Cuddyer would also come cheap if we're willing to pay what he's due for the rest of the year ($5.5 million). He's another guy who could hit close to .300AVG and 15-20HR.
    All three of these guys would come cheap in terms of not having to give up a top prospect...all three of these guys play multiple positions and all three of these guys would be an immediate upgrade to what we have now. I can't think of another way to add this much impact for cheaper. I know everyone wants Pence, Reyes and Miggy but we're not going to get them for anyone we're willing to give up. I know we've all thought to ourselves that a little more offense combined with our pitching would make the Giants truly dominant. These 3 guys would add more than just a little bit of offense and best of all... they would come cheap!
    1. Torres CF
    2. Cuddyer 2B
    3. Panda 3B
    4. Huff 1B
    5. Davis LF
    6. Ross RF
    7. Aviles SS
    8. Whiteside/Stewart
    Shierholtz has been coming through in the clutch both offensively and defensively but he's clearly not an every day player.
    Last edited by EYEBLACK22; 07-05-2011 at 10:43 AM.
    Sad how a World Series win could result in so much whining.

vCash
    I'm on board for Cuddyer/Aviles

Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    In that same article Bengie said he has a game plan for Posey. I don't think Buster will have much trouble hitting 2 strike fastballs in the middle of the plate.

vCash
    Chris Davis is awful, I'd definitely welcome Cuddyer. He's not playing second base though.

vCash
    Sure, i'd take Chris Davis, but as a LH PH off the bench.

vCash
    Cuddyer would be great. Avilas sure.

I remember when I REALLY wanted Chris Davis. I'd take him, no doubt, but I'm not sure how substantial of an upgrade he'd even end up being. Especially since his defense is pretty awful IIRC.
    Karmaloop Users! Enter DR31290 at checkout for 20% off!

**First Sig Ever - Help Me!

http://oneloveadvocates.org/

vCash
    I doubt the Twins ship Cuddyer for cheap. He's their best hitter right now.

vCash
    Brandon Belt > Chris Davis so no thank you. I have wanted Cuddyer since May but we have Fontenot so Aviles isn't really an upgrade, rather have Keppinger or Izturis

"It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument against a stupid person." - Bill Murray
    Sabermetric Myths
    FIP=better pitcher
    WAR is fact
    Pythagorean records and win expectancy have value
    Strikeouts are overrated
    Best regular season record = best team
    Regular season > Post season
    The difference between me and you is I don't need the internet to discuss baseball intelligently.

vCash
    Rather have keppinger than Aviles. Keppinger kind of reminds me of Sanchez rumors 2 years ago. Ill be surprised if we dont trade for him. Hes the most logical choice.

Its a shame Dero got hurt because he would have been fine at 2nd.
    #JoergerBomb

Watching the Giants bullpen like:

<3

- He runs meetings like a coach. Basically, Im playing with a coordinator on the field. Hes a football God. He sees everything, and he sees the big picture of everything." - Frank Gore on Andrew Luck
    - "He is as smart as Peyton, as accurate as Brady, tougher than Ben and as athletic as RG3." - Anonymous Head Coach on Andrew Luck

vCash
    I like Cuddyer..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopper15 View Post
    Chris Davis is awful, I'd definitely welcome Cuddyer. He's not playing second base though.
    Davis is absolutely mashing in AAA right now and he would immediately become the best offensive outfielder we have. I realize he wont hit for AVG but given regular AB's I'd sure love to see him give McCovey cove some long awaited attention. I really don't think he's a AAAA player. I'm thankful for everything Burrell did for us last year but he's just not producing AT ALL and should probably be given an opportunity to DH in the AL. Davis can't be any worse than Pat in the OF and I honestly think we could use his bat in the lineup every day (innings 1-7 and put in a defensive replacement when needed). He could also play 3 positions (OF, 1B, 3B) which you know Bochy loves.

vCash
    Anybody who can hit .250 on this team will be an instant hit with the fans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    Rather have keppinger than Aviles. Keppinger kind of reminds me of Sanchez rumors 2 years ago. Ill be surprised if we dont trade for him. Hes the most logical choice.

Its a shame Dero got hurt because he would have been fine at 2nd.
    If you mean before he hurt his wrist with the cardinals. If you mean before he reinjured himself this year then you've gotta be kidding me. He's been terrible both this year and last year.

vCash
    If his last surgeries were successful, He would have been a better option than Bill Hall and Emanuel Burriss
    #JoergerBomb

Watching the Giants bullpen like:

<3

- He runs meetings like a coach. Basically, Im playing with a coordinator on the field. Hes a football God. He sees everything, and he sees the big picture of everything." - Frank Gore on Andrew Luck
    - "He is as smart as Peyton, as accurate as Brady, tougher than Ben and as athletic as RG3." - Anonymous Head Coach on Andrew Luck

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EYEBLACK22 View Post
    Davis is absolutely mashing in AAA right now and he would immediately become the best offensive outfielder we have.
    You can't say that based on AAA numbers. Sounds like Bowker all over again. He has a lot of power but has yet to develop any other part of his offensive game. We have Belt, do not need Davis.

"It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument against a stupid person." - Bill Murray
    Sabermetric Myths
    FIP=better pitcher
    WAR is fact
    Pythagorean records and win expectancy have value
    Strikeouts are overrated
    Best regular season record = best team
    Regular season > Post season
    The difference between me and you is I don't need the internet to discuss baseball intelligently.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RTL View Post
    Brandon Belt > Chris Davis so no thank you. I have wanted Cuddyer since May but we have Fontenot so Aviles isn't really an upgrade, rather have Keppinger or Izturis
    Keppinger's Avg season stats:

.285 AVG .339 OBP .393 SLG 4 HR 1.6 SB (74 GAMES)

Izturiz

.277 AVG .341 OBP .391 SLG 3.9 HR 8.9 SB (79 GAMES)

Aviles

.285 AVG .317 OBP .417 SLG 6.0 HR 8.3 SB (73 GAMES)

Fontenot

.265 AVG ..336 OBP .410 SLG 4.0 HR 2.3 SB (81 GAMES)

They're comparable numbers but I really like Aviles' power over the other 2 guys. He could also play 3 positions (3B, SS, 2B).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast