Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

ASU To Ditch Sparky

Change your clothes, change your life: If Oregon can do it, why can't Arizona State? Tired of watching the Ducks' ever-evolving aesthetics hog all the attention during their slow rise to the top of the Pac-10, ASU unveiled its own long overdue makeover this afternoon courtesy of — who else? — Nike, which set the Sun Devils up with their own trademarked font, an ominous pitchfork logo and, in addition to a few tweaks to the Sun Devils' traditional home and away motifs, a new all-black ensemble that overthrows more than a half-century of strictly yellow/gold headgear. (See the entire set for all sports here.) Trés chic, for the moment.
    The only major casualty of the redesign: The cartoon Sun Devil himself, Sparky, who was originally incarnated in the late forties by alum Bert Anthony, a former Disney artist who allegedly (and probably apocryphally) modeled the Devil's features after his old boss as retribution for being fired. At any rate, the same grinning cartoon Sparky has personified Arizona State athletics for more than six decades, and has lent his quirky brand of satanic mischief to ASU helmets since 1980. The live, costumed mascot itself isn't going anywhere, but on the uniforms? He's nowhere to be found.
    With the rise of the official pitchfork logo, Sparky will probably be stricken from the field art, as well, depriving countless thousands of the joy of seeing him spear turkey legs and other vulnerable foodstuffs on special occasions.
    On the bright side, the team is no longer bearing the mark of a cartoon who appears to be terrorizing the night in a set of elaborate pajamas. But wherever the stylized, disembodied pitchfork appears, we'll always remember the gnarled, searing hot hand of Hades that wields it.
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...rn=ncaaf-wp725

Pics of new uniforms in the link...

I like them.

vCash
    As usual, they are butt ugly. What do you expect from the Scum Devils?!

vCash
    I think they are pretty sick not going to lie. It is funny that some Sun Devil fans that I know always used to make fun of us for our uniforms, well apparently they needed a change as well. It's a shame that Sparky is off the helmets, but I still really like the new look.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    These new jerseys somehow remind me of an XFL team.

The new jerseys are pretty cool, but still im not quite sold on taking the mascot off the helm.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuckus View Post
    You can't spell Worley without W.

vCash
    I like those jerseys

vCash
    Yeah I'm not gonna lie, those are pretty sick jerseys.

vCash
    They are sick. I dont get why everyone is complaining. Sparky is still our mascot and he will still be on the sidelines. Besides hes not officially off the helmet he is on the back of the helmet now.

vCash
    They look pretty nice. Wonder if it's legitimate or not that those are the real ones.

"King Felix has hurled more mega quality starts since 2010 than 14 entire MLB teams."
    http://dynamik-farr.deviantart.com/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MVMarauder View Post
    They are sick. I dont get why everyone is complaining. Sparky is still our mascot and he will still be on the sidelines. Besides hes not officially off the helmet he is on the back of the helmet now.
    I thought you guys removed the mascot completely from your jerseys, thus why I was like wtf are they doing?

Glad to know I will still see Sparky running around pitchforking blondes on the sidelines when the Beavs come to town!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuckus View Post
    You can't spell Worley without W.

vCash
    Arizona State and its partners at Nike were obviously aiming for a younger, hipper, decidedly edgier look when they decided to ditch the Sun Devils' longtime logo, a grinning cartoon devil who looks like Walt Disney in an old Halloween costume, in favor of a sleeker, more ominous-looking pitchfork, sometimes set against all-black. Assuming the marketing department's idea of "edgy" didn't quite extend to major urban street gangs, though, they may have succeeded a little too wildly.
    Or so says diehard ASU alum Kenneth Epich, a Chicago police sergeant assigned to the city's Area One Gang Enforcement unit who instantly matched the new logo with the crude trident symbol that shows up in the tattoos, graffiti and hand signals of one of Chicago's largest and most violent gangs, the "Satan Disciples." And he thinks it's only a matter of time before his alma mater's new look joins the repertoire:

"The gangs adopt sports teams and wear their gear," Epich said. "The S.D.'s are going to adopt the (ASU) hat as their hat of choice just as soon as they see the first person wearing one."
    He probably has reason to worry. After all, there's the devil tie-in. Sun Devils and Satan's Disciples both start with an S and a D.
    And, of most concern to Epich, there's that trident. Turns out the gang uses a trident similar to ASU's as one of its symbols. Gang members have them tattooed on their bodies and tag neighborhoods with them. Epich believes some of the artwork he has seen of the gang's symbol is strikingly similar to the ASU trident.
    "It bothers me that, one, this gang will be wearing ASU gear, but also that ASU and Nike were so naive to develop it. In my mind, it's the spitting image of the S.D. trident."
    […]
    "Some unsuspecting ASU grad or the nephew of a grad or just some person who was at spring training and liked the hat is going to be wearing it in Chicago and stumble upon a car load of Latin Kings (the S.D.'s rival gang), and they're going to beat the (expletive) out of him or kill him just based on the fact he's wearing a hat," Epich said.
    Yeah, that's … probably not so good for business, especially considering that the Sun Devils are playing at Illinois in September and likely filtering through Chicago by the thousands.
    Of course, Arizona State itself doesn't quite see the resemblance. Associate athletic director Steve Hank — a Chicago native, coincidentally — told the Arizona Republic the university isn't worried about the design, that the two symbols "are not even close," and that ASU vows to protect its trademark, darn it. "The one thing we can tell you is we vigilantly defend our marks," Hanks said. "If they were to use it in that way, we would take all legal action to protect our mark."
    There's an idea: Send the Satan Disciples a cease and desist letter. The streets are one thing; but everyone is terrified of a professional grasp of modification and public display rights.
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...rn=ncaaf-wp906

i guess they didn't do their research. hoodlums

vCash
    They're sick not gonna lie..

vCash
    SCUM DEVILS!! i hate arizona.