RBI:
    SB:

Full Name: Charles Culberson
    Born: 04/10/1989
    Birthplace: Calhoun, GA
    Height: 6' 1"
    Weight: 185
    Bats: R
    Throws: R..........Selected by San Francisco Giants as sandwich pick (51st selection overall) in 2007 First-Year Player Draft. ... Signed by Sean O'Connor
    Awards/Honors:

07/19/2010 CAL Player of the Week
    Last edited by TKellion; 09-17-2010 at 12:14 PM.

vCash
    Basic Statistics
    Year Age Team PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI HBP BB SO SB AVG OBP SLG OPS
    2007 Rookie AZL Giants 187 161 32 46 8 5 1 16 5 19 38 .286 .374 .416 790
    2008 A Augusta 309 279 31 65 10 2 3 27 6 18 57 6 .233 .288 .315 603
    2009 20 A Augusta 559 511 71 125 19 3 2 35 10 33 110 16 .245 .301 .305 606
    2010 21 A+ San Jose 390 359 60 114 24 4 14 60 7 21 65 18 .318 .364 .524 888
    Extended Statistics
    Year Age Team PA AB ISOP BB% K% BABIP GB% LD% RC RC/27 wOBA
    2007 Rookie AZL Giants 187 161 .130 10.2% 20.3% .369 47% 16% 29 6.69 .349
    2008 A Augusta 309 279 .082 5.8% 18.4% .283 55% 16% 25 3.03 .271
    2009 20 A Augusta 559 511 .060 5.9% 19.7% .308 50% 11% 46 3.14 .275
    2010 21 A+ San Jose 390 359 .206 5.4% 16.7% .357 39% 23% 68 7.26 .379

vCash
    http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/n...milb&fext=.jsp Giants' Culberson plates six runs
    Former first-round pick has 14 RBIs in 11 games in June Charlie Culberson homered and tripled en route to the second six-RBI night of his career Saturday as the San Jose Giants outslugged the Bakersfield Blaze, 12-9.

After Drew Biery reached on an error and Brandon Belt walked in the bottom of the first inning, Culberson took Bakersfield starter Michael Schlact deep for his ninth homer of the season.

The 2007 first-round Draft pick drove in Belt again with a sacrifice fly in the second, then plated Emmanuel Burriss and Belt in the sixth with his first triple of the season.

Culberson also drove in six runs for Class A Augusta on June 13, 2008, collecting a homer, double and two singles. He's tied for sixth in the California League in home runs, tied for third with 19 doubles and ranks second on the Giants with 34 after combining for nine in his last two games.

Culberson all but overshadowed the effort of teammate Wendell Fairley, who went 5-for-5 to push his average to .284. The former 29th-round pick was mired in a 1-for-8 funk but collected five singles for the first five-hit game of his three-year career.

Belt, who leads the league in batting (.383) and on-base percentage (.500), went 1-for-1 with four walks and three runs scored.

vCash
    Last 10 games .439 AVG 18 for 41 7 R 7 RBI 2 HR 4 BB 5 SB 4 SO .489 OBP .585 SLG 1.074 OPS

vCash
    Last 10 games .194 AVG 7 for 36 7 R 3 RBI 1 HR 7 BB 1 SB 5 SO .318 OBP .278 SLG .596 OPS -Charlie cooled off at the plate the last 10 games but still walked more than he struck out meaning he put the ball in play.

vCash
    Last 10 games .231 AVG 9 for 39 3 R 4 RBI 2 2B 2 BB 5 SB 2 SO .256 OBP .282 SLG .538 OPS-another rough 10 days for Charlie

vCash
    Last 10 games .143 AVG 6 for 42 3 R 3 RBI 1 HR 2 BB 1 SB 13 SO .200 OBP .214 SLG .414 OPS-Charlie in a 30 day slump where he has hit about .200. Hopefully it is just fatigue.

vCash
    <http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100910&content_id=14505866&vkey= new> .................................................. ............Prospect Culberson has learned how to win............................................... ..........................................

What a difference a year makes.

In 2009, Charlie Culberson was in his second straight season with Augusta in the Class A South Atlantic League. While he did stay healthy all year -- something that didn't happen in his first full season of '08 -- he hit just .246 with a .610 OPS. Coming on the heels of that '08 campaign that saw the second baseman hit just .234 in 81 games, it wasn't exactly what the Giants' supplemental first-round pick in the 2007 First-Year Player Draft hoped for.

"My first couple of years were a little slow for me; I had some doubts," Culberson said. "But I got to be part of some good teams with a lot of talent around me. It's helped me out. It's just part of becoming the player you're going to be, learning to overcome the failure.
    Charlie Culberson was selected by the Giants during the 2007 First-Year Player Draft.

"When you're around guys who want to win and love to come to the field every day, that's going to help you. If I do the same, it will help other players, too. It helps to have an organization that has had success the last couple of years."

The Giants' farm system has indeed been a breeding ground for winning of late. This year was no different, with the organization -- including the club in the Dominican Summer League -- finishing with a .535 winning percentage. That was good for fourth in Major League Baseball, nothing new considering they topped MLB in 2009 (.603 winning percentage) and finished second in '08 (.568) and '07 (.575).

Culberson has seen his share of winning already, despite his early struggles. His rookie-level Arizona League club lost in the championship game. That 2008 Augusta team won the South Atlantic League title and was also named MLB.com's '08 Minor League Team of the Year.

Culberson got a ring from that effort, but because he was hurt, he wasn't able to directly contribute to the playoff run. This season has been different in many ways. Culberson's San Jose Giants are about to start the second round of the California League playoffs on Saturday after earning a bye via their first-half title.

The California League postseason and San Jose have more or less become synonymous recently. Over the past five seasons, the Giants have won titles in odd years, bringing home a championship in 2005, '07 and '09. In the even years, they lost in second-round matchups (the '06 and '08 series each went the full five games). When Culberson and Co. showed up at the start of the season, they immediately heard about the history in San Jose.

"Every day, someone's always saying something about the Giants being in the playoffs," Culberson said. "From the get-go, expectations were kind of high. We had a good team, and we end up winning the first half again."

This time, Culberson played a much more vital role. Citing an ability to just relax and play the game, Culberson hit .314 with a .355 on-base percentage and a .533 slugging percentage in the first half. It didn't start out that way, with the infielder struggling to adjust to the new level and hitting just .212 in the season's opening month. But because of the organization's faith in him, he didn't revert to old habits, took a deep breath and hit .328 in May and .400 in June.

Even though Culberson slowed in the second half -- and San Jose went just 31-39 at the same time -- he finished with a very solid .290/.340/.457 line, with 16 homers and 25 stolen bases.

"Overall, I'm going to look back at the year and say it was a good year for me," Culberson said. "Times before, I went through slumps and I'd start pressing and do things that would put me in even more of a hole. Having been through that, it helped me out this year. I started out shaky, but I kept cool and had teammates around me doing well and patting me on the back, getting me going. There was no need to get down on myself. I started relaxing and picking it up.

"I've had a lot of fun, too. I went through a lot of struggles, and that's helped me be a better ballplayer. It's not easy every day, that's for sure. But you have to keep an even keel and think positive every day. If you have a bad day, you always have another day to go out there."

Culberson hopes to have more than that. San Jose hosts Modesto, the Colorado Rockies' California League affiliate, for two games to start the second round. If the Giants can get past the Nuts, it will mean another trip to the championship and the team's first in an even-numbered year in recent memory.

"This is my first real chance, so I'm excited about it," Culberson said. "It's crunch time. This is what everyone wants to do, play in the playoffs -- no matter what level. You want to get the feel of it. It won't be the same in A-ball as in the big leagues, but you'll still get the feel for the postseason."

vCash
    1s 51 Charlie Culberson 2b/ss Calhoun (Ga.) HS GA $607,500
    Playing alongside Josh Smoker has given Calhoun High shortstop Culberson plenty of opportunity to impress scouts, and he made the most of the added exposure. A gamer in the mold of Marcus Giles, Culberson is a baseball rat who has Hall of Fame bloodlines in his extended family. He's related to George Sisler, and his grandfather was Leon Culberson, who spent six seasons in the big leagues with Boston and Washington in the 1940s. Charlie doesn't have the range to stick at shortstop, and though he posted huge power numbers this season, doesn't project to hit for power as a professional. His pitch recognition and plate discipline could improve. He's a below-average runner. He has a plus arm and fringe-average bat speed, however, and given all the intangibles, could become an attractive pick in the third or fourth round.

vCash
    Through 15 games in AFL Charlie is a hitting machine batting 28 of 66 for a .424 avg with 10 2B 2 3B 2 HR 3 BB 11 SO 17 R 12 RBI 48 TB 1 SB 2 CS .449 OBP .727 SLG 1.177 OPS

vCash
    http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/n...ews_sf&c_id=sf Culberson keeps hitting in Scorpions' win
    Giants' 2007 sandwich pick batting .424, plates three in AFLIt's been an memorable year for Charlie Culberson, a Giants infield prospect who was just excited to get an invitation to the Arizona Fall League.

Fast forward a few months and Culberson has even more to comprehend. He's led the league in batting, was named to the Rising Stars Game and just watched his organization claim the World Series.

"I watched every game, and I was like, 'That's my team out there,'" he said. "They busted their butts, they wanted it. That's what they teach us in the whole organization. We're winners, we want to be there. That's what I'm trying to be. I'm trying to get there and help the team win again."
    Charlie Culberson's .424 average ranks him second in the Arizona Fall League.

Culberson, 21, came to the AFL out of Class A Advanced San Jose, which repeated as California League champions this season. A first-round sandwich pick by the Giants in 2007, he blossomed into a well-rounded second baseman in '10, hitting .290 with 16 homers, 71 RBIs and 25 steals. He's continued to rake for Scottsdale, hitting .424 after going 3-for-4 in Thursday's 9-5 win over Surprise.

"It's been pretty awesome," he said. "It's been a good experience, that's sure."

Culberson doubled and scored in the first inning, hit a three-run double in the second and singled and scored again in the sixth, bumping his average up 21 points. At times he's been the league leader; he's currently one point behind Padres second baseman Andy Parrino, who is batting .425 for the Peoria Saguaros.

He comes across as humble about his success in a Georgia accent.

"I've just been feeling good, really relaxed when I go up to hit up there," he said. "I'm hitting the ball on the barrel, maybe sometimes not great, but I'm finding some holes. All in all, I'm feeling pretty good ... real relaxed."

Culberson may feel a little more pressure this weekend with his family in town to watch him compete in the AFL's version of an All-Star Game, the annual Rising Stars Showcase. It means a lot for the Calhoun, Ga., native, who walked into his clubhouse the first day and found himself surrounded by Triple-A and Double-A players.

"I guess playing deep into November, not many guys do that," he said. "It's definitely an honor to be out here in the Fall League. It's a lot of fun."

Culberson felt "awesome" when he was told of his selection to the showcase.

"It's definitely an honor. My family came out today and they'll be able to watch the game. So it's pretty sweet for sure, having them here watching, I couldn't ask for anything more."

Culberson doubled twice of Danny Duffy, a Royals prospect and former Futures Game All-Star he admitted he didn't know much about.

"I'd never faced him before, but I heard he's a good pitcher," Culberson said. "He threw me a fastball away and then a fastball in [his first at-bat]. I hit a line drive to left-center for a stand-up double."

Culberson then came up with the bases loaded an inning later.

"It got to 1-2, he threw a nice changeup, I kind of got out in front of it. Then a decent curve, but he got it up. I was able to to square it up, hit it off the wall in center, just got good wood on it. So that was pretty nice, always nice to clear the bases, it's a good feeling."

A better feeling? Seeing the Giants celebrate on the mound in Texas.

"I wish I was there," he said. "We won the Cal League championship, and that was awesome. So I couldn't imagine being up [in San Francisco]. You can't get any better than that, that's where I want to be. I just get chills talking about it."

In Thursday's victory, Culberson was supported by Thomas Field (Rockies), who smacked a two-run homer and fellow San Francisco prospect 23-year-old southpaw Ryan Verdugo, who allowed two runs on six hits and five walks to earn his third win of the fall.