Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

How do you fix this team? (Official Rangers Offseason Ideas Thread)

Whether we sneak into the playoffs or not this team is probably not challenging for a cup.

So the question is if you are the GM what do you due in the offseason to try and fix this team?

Add in all hypothetical trades and FA signings and if you are feeling ambitious include next years lines.

vCash
    I mean there isn't much aside from letting the youth develop, it takes a couple of years and if you can somehow steal someone then you go for it. Somehow possibly find a way for Drury not to be on this team in some capacity whether by giving him a front office job or convincing him to retire idk what but something. Also if they really want to win they need to bring in another coach or something to teach the ****ing PP because it is pathetic how long it took our PP to look legitimate. Also I personally think Tortarella needs to change a few things in his system if he wants to win with this team but that's me.
    Averymustgo...must go

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Faithful View Post
    I mean there isn't much aside from letting the youth develop, it takes a couple of years and if you can somehow steal someone then you go for it. Somehow possibly find a way for Drury not to be on this team in some capacity whether by giving him a front office job or convincing him to retire idk what but something. Also if they really want to win they need to bring in another coach or something to teach the ****ing PP because it is pathetic how long it took our PP to look legitimate. Also I personally think Tortarella needs to change a few things in his system if he wants to win with this team but that's me.
    I dont think its that easy to just let youth develop. There are no guarantees that our young kids are going to be NHL players and in fact i dont think any of them will be next year. Kreider isnt turning pro yet and the other guys (McIlrath, Thomas etc) are prob 2 or 3 away. I know we are excited about our youth but in a few yrs we will need to resign our current young guys to more money and also Henrik will be much older.

I do agree we need to revamp our PP because it stinks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by commonsense12 View Post
    Whether we sneak into the playoffs or not this team is probably not challenging for a cup.

So the question is if you are the GM what do you due in the offseason to try and fix this team?

Add in all hypothetical trades and FA signings and if you are feeling ambitious include next years lines.
    First of all, if I'm the GM, I fire myself. I've been here over 10 years, I'm clueless, and only because my boss is an even bigger idiot do I still have a job.

Glen Sather

vCash
    My biggest priority is to get rid of Drury's contract. Send an offer to Richards, also sign a D man, I'm thinking maybe Ian White? I realize he's not huge but he's got good skill and he's tough, and may fit our budget. If we don't get Richards I'd look at maybe Tanguay and Handzus, I think those two might compliment Gaborik(if there's anything left in him) well. I'm assuming Prospal is done, but maybe he fits in somewhere, I just feel his knees must be killing him.
    My lines would be 1st scenario
    Wolski Richards Gaborik
    Dubinsky Anisimov Callahan
    Avery Stepan Newbury
    Boogard Boyle Prust

2nd scenario
    Tanguay Handzus Gaborik
    Wolski Stepan Prust
    Avery Boyle Boogard

and for D
    Staal Girardi
    Sauer White
    MdZ McDonagh...Eminger being the extra.

I don't know, I just kinda threw that together with the free agents available, hard to think up trades and stuff as you don't really know who's available. I'd have no problem trading Gaborik or Boyle, with Gaborik it's become apparent he's never gonna play 82 games, and with Boyle I think his stock is at it's highest right now, and I've noticed that the more comfortable he's gotten on this team and the longer the season went on the less energy he's had, I don't see that being any different from year to year, so get what you can while he's at his peak IMO.
    Last edited by bsi; 04-08-2011 at 11:08 PM.

vCash
    Ok here is what i would do:

First i would resign some of our RFA's. RFA's have less leverage so then should come a bit cheaper then UFA. That being said:
    Dubi and Cally 4 yr deals at maybe cap hits of 3-3.5 mill. Justin Williams recently signed for 3.65 mil he has similar numbers but he was UFA so he prob got a bit more. Giroux from philly put up 75 pts this year and only resigned for a cap hit of 3.75 so i figured a little less for those two.
    AA and Boyle 2 or 3 yr deals that get 1.5-1.8ish
    Sauer gets a 2 or 3 yr deal worth a mill

In terms of FA's i go hard for Richards and if i have to give him a 5 or 6 yr front loaded contract to get a cap hit around 6.5 so be it.

I make offers to Prospal and Mccabe at below market value and hope they bite. Prospal maybe a mill and McCabe maybe 2 mill. Prospal might bite because he didnt earn his 2.1 this year so maybe he doesnt get any other good offers and he wants to have a better showing and he is 36 turning 37 so i dont know how many teams will offer him more. McCabe is in the same boat. He is turning 36 soon so he might be limited in his choices.

In terms of players on the team currently i sit down with Drury and basically say if you are going to stay on this team you are going to be a healthy scratch most nights because i would rather play a young kid such as Grachev or MZA rather then Drury. Hopefully he accepts to waive his NMC. If he does maybe Toronto would bite or even the Islanders. Islanders would be interesting because his salary is less then his cap hit and they are always at the floor, plus he could provide good leadership for all their kids. I would give him away for nothing or even pay a little if i had too.

Avery, Boogs, Christ and Gilroy i look to move. I would try to bring back Tyutin maybe for Avery and Christ/Gilroy. Tyutin has a higher salary and columbus lost the 2nd most SO's in the league so Christ can help. If Avery cant be moved there then maybe Edm with Renney. Tyutin should help our PP.

Lastly i think i look to move Gabs. I know LA was rumored last year so maybe i revisit that. They are pretty deep on RW so i think it would have to include either Williams or Brown. I prefer Brown and they just resigned Williams so start with Brown plus someone else. Penner would be interesting because he has been terrible there so far. I think we would have to include a little extra so maybe Brown and Penner for Gabs and a 2nd or Gilroy?

If all the stars align we could field a team of:
    Penner Richards Brown
    Dubi AA Cally
    Prosp Stephen MZA/Grachev
    Wolski Boyle Prust

Staal/Girardi
    McCabe/Tyutin
    Mcd/Sauer
    MDZ as 7th dman

Hank and Biron as Goalies

Yes this works under the supposed new cap with those players i named. Best of all a bunch of those players are FA's the following year (Wolski, Penner, McCabe, Tyutin, Prospal)so we can either resign them or let our kids take their spots. I think a whole new top line plus a really solid 6 dman squad could take us to a top 4 or 5 team in the east and maybe a cup contending team. Thoughts?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Plains View Post
    First of all, if I'm the GM, I fire myself. I've been here over 10 years, I'm clueless, and only because my boss is an even bigger idiot do I still have a job.

Glen Sather
    LOl very good point but you forgot that he doesnt know how to sign FA's.

vCash
    I feel like we need more of a superstar caliber player, someone like a Richards or a St.Louis. We have a whole bunch of youth of defense and forwards and we are set (cross my fingers) at goalie for a while.

I'd move some of our youth at defense and some of our youth at the forward position. Sign Boyle and then ship him out while his value is this high coming off a 20 goal season. Bring up Kreider. I'd shop around guys like Sauer, Valentenko, Boyle, Grachev, Drury, Zucs and maybe even some more if it came to it.
    The bottom line is that this team needs a playmaker.

Ideal hypothetical (and probably unrealistic) scenario is:

-Sign Brad Richards
    -Trade away Drury for scraps
    -Resign McCabe
    -Trade away some of our youth at defense and forward(above mentioned names) for another scoring forward
    -Bring up Krieder
    -Resign Duby

Would have to dump Drury in order to sign Richards and McCabe.
    Dubi is going to get paid this offseason(I'd say around 3.5-4)
    Boyle is going to be seeking money that he isn't worth.
    I'd let Prospal and Fedetenko walk.

Assuming a decent scoring winger costs around the price of Zucs, Boyle, Draft Pick(s), Defensive Prospect(s)

Scoring Winger - Richards - Gaborik
    Dubi - Anisimov - Cally
    Krieder - Stepan - Prust
    Boogard - Christensen - Wolski

Staal - Girardi
    McCabe - Eminger
    MDZ - McDonaugh

Avery and Sauer as the backup 2.

Not exactly the best, but I don't know how much we can do. This also leaves Avery on the outside looking in. I feel like Avery is no longer very effective, especially with Torts at the helm(not a shot at Torts, just Avery and Torts don't mesh).

vCash
    Other things to explore is trading Wolski (Sather seems to get crazy value).

Also, resigning Frolov is very possible. We signed him to a 1 year 3 million contract when he was healthy. He is now considered an injury risk (I believe it is behind him) and I think we could bring him back on a 1 year 2.5 mil contract or even a 2 year 4 mil contract. He could certainly provide some useful, and cheap!, scoring depth.

vCash
    Realistically, we won't be able to move Drury's contract. However, he is only due to make 5 million next year, and after that he is a FA.

You gotta remember guys, this is actually a very bright future for our Franchise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    My biggest priority is to get rid of Drury's contract. Send an offer to Richards, also sign a D man, I'm thinking maybe Ian White? I realize he's not huge but he's got good skill and he's tough, and may fit our budget. If we don't get Richards I'd look at maybe Tanguay and Handzus, I think those two might compliment Gaborik(if there's anything left in him) well. I'm assuming Prospal is done, but maybe he fits in somewhere, I just feel his knees must be killing him.
    My lines would be 1st scenario
    Wolski Richards Gaborik
    Avery Stepan Newbury
    Boogard Boyle Prust

2nd scenario
    Tanguay Handzus Gaborik
    Wolski Stepan Prust
    Avery Boyle Boogard

and for D
    Staal Girardi
    Sauer White
    MdZ McDonagh...Eminger being the extra.

I don't know, I just kinda threw that together with the free agents available, hard to think up trades and stuff as you don't really know who's available. I'd have no problem trading Gaborik or Boyle, with Gaborik it's become apparent he's never gonna play 82 games, and with Boyle I think his stock is at it's highest right now, and I've noticed that the more comfortable he's gotten on this team and the longer the season went on the less energy he's had, I don't see that being any different from year to year, so get what you can while he's at his peak IMO.
    I agree 100% when it comes to Boyle he has vanished as the season has gone on. I see a small contract for him and a spot on the 4th line. As a 4th line player i dont think he is bad i just think he has to have the attitude of something to prove or he will get lazy.

In regards to Gabs i think he still holds value in the league but i think its clear he needs a top line center and we do not have it. I proposed a trade with LA just because he would be unstoppable with Kopitar and they were said to be in on him in the offseason. I dont think he is done i just think he is lazy and tired of being the only guy on the ice that teams really fear. Lets be honest Cally and Dubi are nice players but no one says we have to watch out for them because they have a crazy slapshot or wrister. They just out work people unlike Gabs who wants to play only by using his skill.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by commonsense12 View Post
    Ok here is what i would do:

First i would resign some of our RFA's. RFA's have less leverage so then should come a bit cheaper then UFA. That being said:
    Dubi and Cally 4 yr deals at maybe cap hits of 3-3.5 mill. Justin Williams recently signed for 3.65 mil he has similar numbers but he was UFA so he prob got a bit more. Giroux from philly put up 75 pts this year and only resigned for a cap hit of 3.75 so i figured a little less for those two.
    AA and Boyle 2 or 3 yr deals that get 1.5-1.8ish
    Sauer gets a 2 or 3 yr deal worth a mill

In terms of FA's i go hard for Richards and if i have to give him a 5 or 6 yr front loaded contract to get a cap hit around 6.5 so be it.

I make offers to Prospal and Mccabe at below market value and hope they bite. Prospal maybe a mill and McCabe maybe 2 mill. Prospal might bite because he didnt earn his 2.1 this year so maybe he doesnt get any other good offers and he wants to have a better showing and he is 36 turning 37 so i dont know how many teams will offer him more. McCabe is in the same boat. He is turning 36 soon so he might be limited in his choices.

In terms of players on the team currently i sit down with Drury and basically say if you are going to stay on this team you are going to be a healthy scratch most nights because i would rather play a young kid such as Grachev or MZA rather then Drury. Hopefully he accepts to waive his NMC. If he does maybe Toronto would bite or even the Islanders. Islanders would be interesting because his salary is less then his cap hit and they are always at the floor, plus he could provide good leadership for all their kids. I would give him away for nothing or even pay a little if i had too.

Avery, Boogs, Christ and Gilroy i look to move. I would try to bring back Tyutin maybe for Avery and Christ/Gilroy. Tyutin has a higher salary and columbus lost the 2nd most SO's in the league so Christ can help. If Avery cant be moved there then maybe Edm with Renney. Tyutin should help our PP.

Lastly i think i look to move Gabs. I know LA was rumored last year so maybe i revisit that. They are pretty deep on RW so i think it would have to include either Williams or Brown. I prefer Brown and they just resigned Williams so start with Brown plus someone else. Penner would be interesting because he has been terrible there so far. I think we would have to include a little extra so maybe Brown and Penner for Gabs and a 2nd or Gilroy?

If all the stars align we could field a team of:
    Penner Richards Brown
    Dubi AA Cally
    Prosp Stephen MZA/Grachev
    Wolski Boyle Prust

Staal/Girardi
    McCabe/Tyutin
    Mcd/Sauer
    MDZ as 7th dman

Hank and Biron as Goalies

Yes this works under the supposed new cap with those players i named. Best of all a bunch of those players are FA's the following year (Wolski, Penner, McCabe, Tyutin, Prospal)so we can either resign them or let our kids take their spots. I think a whole new top line plus a really solid 6 dman squad could take us to a top 4 or 5 team in the east and maybe a cup contending team. Thoughts?
    I think you're looking too optimistically at all this. Also, I kinda want to play devil's advocate - kinda the "guy without expectations has no disappointments." haha

First off, Avery is probably not going anywhere - no team really wants this guy and he didn't even put up any production this year for him to be enticing to anyone.

Tyutin was nice here with us, but let's be honest - more youth on D is not what we need.

Prospal's age is catching up to him and we really don't need more "grinders." He isn't even worth an offer.

I think you are lowballing McCabe - this guy still has his legs and a ****-ton of leadership. I'd venture to give him 3.5 for 1 year, or 5.5 for 2 years.

Gabby is a hard piece to move, and I think you are expecting too much back. EDM isn't going to do us any favors, nor will any team - Gabs isn't exactly coming off a great season..he was injured and had mediocre production and is still signed for a high cap hit at 3 more years. Also, Gabs is fine on this team, what he needs is a playmaker - heck, this whole team needs a playmaker. Gabs is a sniper, and still one of the best in the league at it, I'm not too worried about him.

Boogs is sticking around, Sather isn't ready to eat that mistake just yet.

Boyle will ask for more around the 2.5 range. He's young, played valuable minutes on a team lacking good centers, eclipsed the 20 goal mark, and is a 2 way forward that can play on the 1st string PK.

You're not anticipating bringing Krieder up????

Gilroy is a RFA, we are letting him walk.. for sure.

Sorry, didn't mean to be harsh - just spurring some friendly conversation for a (hopefully far away) off-season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangers&MetsFTW View Post
    Realistically, we won't be able to move Drury's contract. However, he is only due to make 5 million next year, and after that he is a FA.

You gotta remember guys, this is actually a very bright future for our Franchise.
    Only way he is moved if they can convince him to waive his NMC. I dont think that is out of the question.

Again if you sit him down and tell him he is going to be a healthy scratch every game his career is prob over. We are not winning with his cap hit so why not go young trade away anyone over 30 and just play kids. We might not be very good but he are not good with him on the ice.

I think he wont be happy not playing so if he can go somewhere else to play i think he does. Plus if he sits the whole year his career would prob be over.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangers&MetsFTW View Post
    I think you're looking too optimistically at all this. Also, I kinda want to play devil's advocate - kinda the "guy without expectations has no disappointments." haha

First off, Avery is probably not going anywhere - no team really wants this guy and he didn't even put up any production this year for him to be enticing to anyone.

Tyutin was nice here with us, but let's be honest - more youth on D is not what we need.

Prospal's age is catching up to him and we really don't need more "grinders." He isn't even worth an offer.

I think you are lowballing McCabe - this guy still has his legs and a ****-ton of leadership. I'd venture to give him 3.5 for 1 year, or 5.5 for 2 years.

Gabby is a hard piece to move, and I think you are expecting too much back. EDM isn't going to do us any favors, nor will any team - Gabs isn't exactly coming off a great season..he was injured and had mediocre production and is still signed for a high cap hit at 3 more years. Also, Gabs is fine on this team, what he needs is a playmaker - heck, this whole team needs a playmaker. Gabs is a sniper, and still one of the best in the league at it, I'm not too worried about him.

Boogs is sticking around, Sather isn't ready to eat that mistake just yet.

Boyle will ask for more around the 2.5 range. He's young, played valuable minutes on a team lacking good centers, eclipsed the 20 goal mark, and is a 2 way forward that can play on the 1st string PK.

You're not anticipating bringing Krieder up????

Gilroy is a RFA, we are letting him walk.. for sure.

Sorry, didn't mean to be harsh - just spurring some friendly conversation for a (hopefully far away) off-season.
    I like Devils advocate.

Avery will be tough to move no doubt- i agree

Tyutin is not that young anymore he is 27 or 28 i think he is a seasoned vet now

Prospal at a mill is no risk at all to be honest 4th liners make a mill

I lowballed McCabe on purpose we are too deep on Dman kids to give him more. If he doesnt take it i bring up a lid or sign someone else

Boyle has 1 year of any sort of production and is Restricted he isnt getting much, plus he has vanished down the stretch.

Kreider is returning to college and not turning pro yet he isnt on our team next year

Boogs sucks, i dont think he has a place on this team

We can still trade Gilroys rights. He was ok for us this year but nothing special he could develop into something down the line, we are jsut really deep on dmen.

I know you are not being harsh its all good

vCash
    ****, I thought Krieder was coming up next year.

Boogs does suck, but I feel like he's gonna end up sticking around.

Gilroy should be moved, yes.

We need a good vet presence in this young D core, and someone reliable on the PP. McCabe is solid for that role for atleast next year and maybe 2. I feel like it is not worth lowballing him that much because it really would be a huge help to have him back. Imagine is MDZ could take some notes? haha

I'm not opposed to the Tyutin idea, but I just feel like our defensive depth is clogged as it is with defensive D-men. We'd have to make some supplemental trades.

Second thought, prospal ain't bad, but I feel like we could just do better without him.

Trade Wolski and try to resign Frolov for around 2.5, Keep Wolski at 4 and let Frolov walk, or let Frolov walk and try to trade Wolski as well? (I'm just doing this because I feel like they are almost the exact same player).

The common denominator here is that we both agree we need more scoring(duh) and we're assuming we can get Richards.

What if we can't get Richards? It's highly possible he returns to Dallas or someone offers him too much (please don't offer him 8 million Sather...).

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast