Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Charlie Sheen's 'Torpedo of Truth' tour booed in Detroit

Charlie Sheen's "Torpedo of Truth" looked more like a bomb Saturday night.

That's when the actor's "Violent Torpedo of Truth/Defeat is Not and Option Show" opened in Detroit. The show had its moments, but was nevertheless marred by audience member walkouts, clamors for refunds and cries of 'you suck!"

In response to one of those cries, Sheen fired back, "You gave your hard money and you didn't know what this was even about and I am ... here."

The actor slipped a profanity into the sentence.

The Detroit show, the actor's first in a 20-city North American tour, got off to a rocky start when the audience booed a warm-up comic off the stage. The show seemed to rebound after Sheen appeared before the crowd to thunderous applause as a big multimedia show played in the background.

The actor called on the crowd to rise for the national anthem, after which two women started kissing onstage. Sheen chomped on Twizzlers, donned a shirt from the TV show from which he was recently fired, then took the shirt off and told the women to burn it. They complied, dropping the shirt into a bucket and setting it on fire onstage.

Vintage Sheen, perhaps, but nevertheless surprising for fans of the eccentric performer who's managed to turn his professional and personal tribulations into a traveling road show.

Sheen also launched into a profanity-laden rant while standing in front of a mock seal, which read "Warlock States of Sheen." The actor tried to sell the crowd on a quote-generating app of his more famous and outrageous sayings.

The crowd ate it up -- at first.

The show's make-or-break moment appeared to come during the display of a film clip, "RPG," which stands for rocket propelled grenade and features actor Johnny Depp. Sheen, who directed the film said it was about "redemption." The audience appeared to turn restless in response and the actor abruptly turned off the clip.

Sheen then launched a Q-and-A session with the crowd. One audience member asked, "if you could be anywhere but here right now, where you would be right now?"

The actor replied, "Nowhere. I'm having a great ... time," again inserting one of the countless profanities Sheen uttered during the show.

Sheen also told "crack stories" and asked for a show of hands from audience members who might have tried the drug. After the show, Sheen thanked die-hard fans for sticking with him, called the show "an experiment" and then left the stage for good.

Prior to the show, fans and critics alike wondered what to expect from the Saturday performance. Sheen's descriptions in advance were oddly humorous, though elliptical.

"Dogspeed my good soldiers. I gave you my word," Sheen declared in trademark gonzo-speak to promote the show online. "If you're winning, I'll see you there.

"Trolls need not apply," Sheen said. "You all suffer from 'Sheen-is' envy."

Sheen arrived by bus for the 8 p.m. show Saturday to a small group of supporters who shouted "Charlie, come out here!" "We want Charlie!"

Sheen, wearing sunglasses, emerged from the bus and lifted a drink container as if to toast the small crowd.

"I want to be a part of history," Sheen fan Jeff Rezek told CNN as he stood in front of the theater trying to hock the second ticket neither his wife nor his son would take. "I missed Woodstock and I wanted to be here.

"I'm going to see Charlie because I feel for the next 20 years I could say, 'I was there.' And I'm willing to see what he has to say," Rezek said.

Rezek suggested the Sheen tour was a good career move for an actor currently without a regular gig. Last month Warner Bros. fired Sheen from Rezek's favorite show, "Two and a Half Men," at the end of a long-running and highly public rant by Sheen against the producers of the television sitcom.

Warner Bros. is owned by Time Warner, which is also the parent company of CNN.

The firing coincided with a series of bizarre public rants by the 45-year-old Sheen in response to questions about his marital, legal and purported substance abuse problems.

Rezek said he thinks Sheen decided to go on tour after the actor "finally woke up that he has to prove to the world that he's not an idiot, he's not a dope addict."

Ticketmaster lists on its website 19 shows in 18 U.S. cities on the actor's 31-day tour. Along with Detroit, Sheen is scheduled to make stops in Chicago; Cleveland; Columbus, Ohio; New York; Boston; Atlantic City, N.J.; Atlanta; Houston; Dallas; Denver and San Francisco.

Sheen has also scheduled three shows in Canada, two in Toronto and a third in Vancouver.

The actor has also scheduled stops in smaller markets, including Wallingford and Mashantucket, Connecticut; Sunrise, Florida; and, Everett, Washington, where the tour ends May 3.

Initial word on ticket sales was that the show sold out in 18 minutes. However, prior to the first show, tickets were still available on Ticketmaster as well as the secondary ticket market, which includes online ticket exchanges like Stubhub.com and TicketNetwork.com. Unwanted tickets available on those sites were going for less than face value prior to the show.
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/04/0...t=P1&iref=NS1#

Did anyone buy tickets for one of his upcoming shows? Does this review change your mind about thinking it was a good idea at the time? Any other thoughts?

vCash
    Greatness news of the year. I want nothing more in life than to see this worthless scum fail.

vCash
    Was this performance by Charlie Sheen dropped out of the Enola Gay?

vCash
    i wouldnt pay for it anyway even if it was good

vCash
    It's about time for things to start going poorly for him...for his own sake.
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    Idiots. They deserve whatever horribleness he delivers at the show. Who actually expected him to be Richard Pryor? Hopefully this whole thing goes away now.

vCash
    You got what you deserved if you paid for that crap. He's not funny, never has been funny, and only made people laugh because of how bat**** crazy he was. Him trying to make you laugh with him instead of at him was always destined for failure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Young2Kinsler View Post
    Greatness news of the year. I want nothing more in life than to see this worthless scum fail.
    x2

Seems like a terrible show. At least be funny, but doing stupid stuff isn't funny.

vCash
    Easy money.

vCash
    You are dumb if you ever thought Charlie Sheen was funny
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

vCash
    #losing
    Portland Trail Blazers | New Orleans Saints

vCash
    I think everyone's had enough at this point.

vCash
    His act got old about 4 weeks ago.

People who still say "WINNING" are really starting to get on my **** to be honest.

vCash
    Was it supposed to be a comedy show? Does anyone actually think he's funny, in a non pathetic way?

vCash
    It will not be long now before he goes on his knees crying to Chuck Lorre, CBS and Warner Bros. for his job back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast