Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Top offenses next season?

Who do you think will have the top offense in the nation in 2011/2012?

I guess the obvious choice would be Oregon based on the system they have in place as well as the talent they have returning, but I think there should be a grading curve for an offense as goofy as Oregon's. (No offense to Oregon fans. )

With that said, I'll take Oklahoma. With Landry Jones, Broyles and Kenny Stills, that passing game will be dynamic, as well as the giant offensive line they roll out there every year. The only question mark would be the inexperience at running back. Calhoun has a lot of potential, and should do fine with that offensive line as well as the fear their passing game will put into defenses.

A darkhorse would be Arkansas. They probably have the best returning group of receivers in the nation, and Tyler Wilson will pick up right where Mallett left off. I really liked what I saw out of him in limited action last year.

First thought I had was Arkansas.

What criteria are you using for determining the top offense? Scoring, yards, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Seppuku View Post
    What criteria are you using for determining the top offense? Scoring, yards, etc?
    A combination of the two, I guess.

They typically go hand in hand though.

No offense taken BF1

In order to have an offense as strong as last season, our wide receivers need to develop a lot. Lavasier Tunei should be improved, Rashaan Vaughn is an excellent JUCO option, and Josh Huff is a playmaker. Also, our offensive line has a few new faces so I wouldn't be surprised if we started out a little slower this coming season. When we played Boise St., that was the last time we had new starters and the lack of chemistry really showed..Hopefully we are ready for LSU..I'm really interested to see if we expand on some of the new formations we flashed in the title game, we may try to have three playmakers behind the line of scrimmage at one time, giving us a lot of options. I also think we will make use of the Tasor position more, which is putting and athlete in the slot that also moves into the backfield at times..Also have to love our running back depth.

As for other teams, I really like Oklahoma's offense. Landry Jones can throw it with anyone, and Kenny Stills is a top 5 wide receiver in the country going into next season...They should be scoring at a ridiculous rate.

Even though I hate them, I would say you should look out for USC. Matt Barkley has another year under his belt, Robert Woods is a beast, Kyle Prater should be improved, and they add George Farmer(who is a beast) from this year's recruiting class. For this offense to take it to the next level, they need to get more from their running game though. It was not bad last season, but if Dillon Baxter and Marc Tyler improve then this offense could be just filthy. USC also has likely top 5 pick offensive tackle Matt Kalil(brother of Carolina Panthers center, Ryan Kalil).
    Last edited by BradyIsTheMan12; 04-04-2011 at 07:58 PM.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Oklahoma was the first team I thought of.

As kind of a darkhorse, I'd mention Michigan. It is a new system under Brady Hoke, but Michael Shaw was the only major loss from that offense heading in to next season from what I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by BCB mwat15 View Post
    Oklahoma was the first team I thought of.

As kind of a darkhorse, I'd mention Michigan. It is a new system under Brady Hoke, but Michael Shaw was the only major loss from that offense heading in to next season from what I can tell.
    Michael Shaw is still on the team. You can see him on this highlight at 0:16 from Saturdays scrimmage, he's #20. If he can get some vision he can very dangerous, has track speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B4dQ...layer_embedded
    Last edited by ~Troy; 04-05-2011 at 04:16 PM.
    Matthew Stafford QB: Detroit Lions
    111.2 QB Rating | 79/118 66.9% | 977 Yards | 9 TDs-2 INTs

Oklahoma's gonna be phenominal. Arkansas didn't seem to miss a beat without Mallet last season either.

USC's could be really good too if Matt Barkley improves again this season like he did last season

What style of offense does Brady Hoke run?
    Last edited by BullsFan_1; 04-05-2011 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BullsFan_1 View Post
    Based on that video and that Hoke is a Lloyd Carr guy it looks like they are going back to a pro-style.

at ball state, he would run a modified pistol I believe with nate davis

This conversation has to begin with Oregon. Thomas and James returning? It's a good bet they have it again.

Quote Originally Posted by BullsFan_1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BCB mwat15 View Post
    Based on that video and that Hoke is a Lloyd Carr guy it looks like they are going back to a pro-style.
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    at ball state, he would run a modified pistol I believe with nate davis
    Both Brady Hoke and Al Borges run a ProStyle Offense. But Al Borges said they will be running under center and running down hill, but there will be a lot of roll outs, shotgun situations but with more TEs and motion, 3 and 4 WR sets, and even the designed QB run and Zone-Read plays as well. Borges passing plays will be a lot of timing routes that Denard is nailing and just about every play. They're going to be run an offense that fits Denards skill set. He's still going to run, going to be under center and from shotgun. They've said repeatedly that they're going to emphasize the RB's a lot more in the running game this year. So far Stephen Hopkins, Mike Cox, and Fitzgerald Toussaint have been the standout backs so far.

It's still going to be a potent offense Denard is still going the be able to scramble. Coaches have said that they want him to wait out the timing routes if possible, but if they aren't there, take off and go immediately. People thought that they won't be utilizing Denards running ability. But trust me, they are going to. He won't be rushing for 1,700 yards again, but they predict he'll have around 1,000 yards rushing. It's going to be a great offense, I'm most worried about the kicking game, I'm praying that they will be able to hit 30 yards FG's this year.

It's going to be more of a West-Coast offense. Especially when we get a ProStyle QB.
    Last edited by ~Troy; 04-06-2011 at 01:25 PM.
    Matthew Stafford QB: Detroit Lions
    111.2 QB Rating | 79/118 66.9% | 977 Yards | 9 TDs-2 INTs

I think South Carolina has the potential to be a sleeper. If Garcia can keep his head on straight and mature some in his final year, he has the talent around him to lead a special offense. Arguably the best WR in the land and a RB who will be one of the top RB's chosen in his class (Lattimore) will lead this offense. Garcia is the key. If he can step up, that offense could be VERY dangerous.

Credit--- Phins1983

Quote Originally Posted by Canada26 View Post
    I think South Carolina has the potential to be a sleeper. If Garcia can keep his head on straight and mature some in his final year, he has the talent around him to lead a special offense. Arguably the best WR in the land and a RB who will be one of the top RB's chosen in his class (Lattimore) will lead this offense. Garcia is the key. If he can step up, that offense could be VERY dangerous.
    Funny you say that, because Garcia was suspended today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast