Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Pre Spring Preview - What needs work?

Atlantic

Boston College
    The passing game. The entire offense needs an overhaul, but particularly the passing attack. The Eagles ranked 104th in passing efficiency and were picked off 21 times, but at least top WR Colin Larmond is expected back from a season-ending injury.

Clemson
    Igniting the offense. Clemson finished below .500 largely because of this group, which ranked 10th in the ACC in both scoring and total offense. With the defense set to regress a bit, even after the phenomenal recruiting class, it’s time for the offense to begin pulling its weight.

Florida State
    The passing game. The attack lacked consistency for reasons that extended beyond just the quarterbacks. The Noles need more from a receiving corps that’s been a little short on big plays the last two seasons. The firepower should be there to do far, far more.

Maryland
    Blocking. The Terrapins need to do a better job of controlling the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. For the new staff, that’ll require improved coaching and and more recruiting classes like the first one. Randy Edsall likes to run the ball and likes a strong front five, and the one he inherits is fine, but hardly special.

NC State
    The offensive line. A perennial problem in Raleigh, Tom O’Brien and his staff have to do a better job with this group considering a new quarterback will likely need time to figure out what he's doing. Jake Vermiglio needs to be replaced at left tackle, but a handful of other regulars return with experience. This has to be a strength early on.

Wake Forest
    Defense. Run. Pass. You name it. Wake Forest has to get much tougher at the line of scrimmage and do a better job in coverage because it's missing the offensive firepower to win shootouts. The stocks weren't quickly refilled after the talented class of a few years ago.

Coastal

Duke
    Defense. This and the running game are on-going problems that need to be addressed. Whether it’s run defense or pass defense, Duke lacks the consistency and toughness to hold up in the improved ACC on a week-to-week basis.

Georgia Tech
    The passing game. Yeah, obvious Tech is a run-dominated team, but it’s doubly dangerous when there’s even a hint of an aerial game on play-action. After ranking 12th nationally in passing efficiency in 2009, the team plummeted to 113th, which hurt more than most expected.

Miami
    Protecting the ball. Where might Miami have been had it not led the country with 36 turnovers, including 27 interceptions? Al Golden plans to find out, knowing that progress isn’t possible unless his team does a better job at holding on to the ball. The defense was great at taking the ball away, but not enough came of the big plays.

North Carolina
    The running game. Carolina has to do better than 125 yards a game and 3.7 yards a carry, especially with a young quarterback being broken in. To further complicate matters, last year’s top three rushers were seniors and the O line could use some work. More consistency on the ground will be a big key early on.

Virginia
    Stopping the run. Sure, the offense has its own headaches, but the defense has shown a spark over the last several years - at least once in a while - and it has the potential to be terrific with a little more time and a lot more consistency. Last year’s squad was one of just a handful nationally to yield more than five yards a carry.

Virginia Tech
    Stopping the run. Believe it or not, yes, this really is an issue for Tech. This became a major concern last fall, especially against physical teams not afraid to go north-south. Out of character for the Hokies, they way too often, getting blown off the ball and allowing 4.6 yards a carry.
    http://cfn.scout.com/2/1048134.html

vCash
    I can't figure out why Clemson's defense is going to supposedly regress. Losing Bowers hurts, but Clemson always has tons of talented DEs ready to step up, and the story remains the same. The weakest area from last year, linebacker, has added three phenomenal talents, two of which should have an impact from day one. B.J. Goodson is also a name to watch there, who our staff actually liked better than Lateek Townsend in the first place. We lost our two starting CBs in the secondary, but they weren't special talents at any rate. We have experienced guys to fill-in, and talented youngsters behind them who may take starting roles before all is said and done. We also lost DeAndre McDaniel, but Jonathan Meeks is a very good safety who, unlike McDaniel, actually knows how to cover.
    On Cam Newton:

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    I definitely think our passing game will need more work then the line. New QB plus almost all new WR's, gonna need a lot of work although Glennon has the arm to get it done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    I can't figure out why Clemson's defense is going to supposedly regress. Losing Bowers hurts, but Clemson always has tons of talented DEs ready to step up, and the story remains the same. The weakest area from last year, linebacker, has added three phenomenal talents, two of which should have an impact from day one. B.J. Goodson is also a name to watch there, who our staff actually liked better than Lateek Townsend in the first place. We lost our two starting CBs in the secondary, but they weren't special talents at any rate. We have experienced guys to fill-in, and talented youngsters behind them who may take starting roles before all is said and done. We also lost DeAndre McDaniel, but Jonathan Meeks is a very good safety who, unlike McDaniel, actually knows how to cover.
    It's tough to expect true freshman LB to make an immediate impact. There's going to be a learning curve that will take a bit for them to overcome right away.
    "Hitting is better than sex." Reggie Jackson

“The only reason I don't like playing in the World Series is I can't watch myself play." Reggie Jackson

vCash
    Hopefully VT can stop giving up the big play on defense. The LB and DL has been mediocre at best in those regards the past two years, but we now have talent that is not experienced. We'll see how quickly they can adjust.

“The only reason I don't like playing in the World Series is I can't watch myself play." Reggie Jackson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. October View Post
    It's tough to expect true freshman LB to make an immediate impact. There's going to be a learning curve that will take a bit for them to overcome right away.
    For most, yes, but I think Steward (assuming his knee is healthy) and Anthony are both instant impact players. The coaching staff obviously feels the same way, otherwise Brandon Maye wouldn't have been sent packing.
    On Cam Newton:

So it's official.

This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    For most, yes, but I think Steward (assuming his knee is healthy) and Anthony are both instant impact players. The coaching staff obviously feels the same way, otherwise Brandon Maye wouldn't have been sent packing.
    They may make an impact, but I can't think of any true freshman LB making an immediate impact coming to the team in the summer. I'd expect at least a year before the dividends start to pay off.

vCash
    They may make an impact, but I can't think of any true freshman LB making an immediate impact coming to the team in the summer. I'd expect at least a year before the dividends start to pay off.
    Well, I can.
    On Cam Newton:

So it's official.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    Well, I can.
    You want to provide some names? Or should I assume I am wrong?

vCash
    You want to provide some names? Or should I assume I am wrong?
    Just assume you're wrong.
    On Cam Newton:

So it's official.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    Just assume you're wrong.
    Of course, it's so much easier that way. At least when trying to prove a point with no evidence...

vCash
    Of course, it's so much easier that way. At least when trying to prove a point with no evidence...
    I'm not really willing to waste my time, I've learned that arguing with you is pointless and fruitless, it's like talking to a brick wall.
    On Cam Newton:

So it's official.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    I'm not really willing to waste my time, I've learned that arguing with you is pointless and fruitless, it's like talking to a brick wall.
    Except I'm not. You just get all pissy and defensive when I comment on Clemson. Trust me, I would like nothing more than to talk about any other team than Clemson, but there just aren't any fans from other schools here. I'm not trying to make it seem pointless and fruitless, but I guess it's because I'm the only one here overly critical about everyone's team.

I know its fun and exciting to root for your team and its players, but there are going to be flaws. So expecting two true freshmen LB to come in and make an immediate impact is very optimistic since you rarely see one freshman LB make a significant contribution, let alone two.

vCash
    Talk about State and how awesome we are.

vCash
    Except I'm not. You just get all pissy and defensive when I comment on Clemson. Trust me, I would like nothing more than to talk about any other team than Clemson, but there just aren't any fans from other schools here. I'm not trying to make it seem pointless and fruitless, but I guess it's because I'm the only one here overly critical about everyone's team.

I know its fun and exciting to root for your team and its players, but there are going to be flaws. So expecting two true freshmen LB to come in and make an immediate impact is very optimistic since you rarely see one freshman LB make a significant contribution, let alone two.
    I know there are flaws. I don't expect two to come in and make immediate impacts. I expect two to compete, and one to potentially grasp a starting role. Even if they don't, we have 3 or 4 capable guys as is. We don't need two to make an immediate impact. I think they potentially will, and I think both can avoid redshirts, but we'll see.
    On Cam Newton:

So it's official.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast