Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Goal differential

The Hawks have the second best goal differential in the west (+36) and are sitting in 6th place at the moment. How much stock do you guys put in the goal differential stat? Personally, I believe it shows a team's true colors, especially come playoff time. For instance, Phoenix is sitting a spot ahead of us with a measly +3 differential. Something tells me the Hawks will do damage in the playoffs regardless of their seeding.

vCash
    I agree with your general premis about the Hawks being a dangerous playoff team but I look at the goal differential with the same questioning eye that I look at +/- with. It's a sneaky stat that is hard to generalize because the context of the games gets lost. I do think it indicates positive things in general such as when the Hawks lose they don't lose big but the Win Loss record doesn't bear out that the goal differential is exceedingly significant.

Rockford, pit stop on the road to being champions.

vCash
    There is a value but maybe a more worth while stat would be 1 goal victories.
    It looks like the HAwks are 13-10 in one goal games thru OT (no shoot out), the usual thought being less playoff goals overall...although CHI had pleanty of 4-6 goal games last year

BTW will anyone have a link for tonights game...I'm traveling and only have the computer!

Thanks

vCash
    ^^^ I don't have a link but I definitely agree. The Blackhawks have been hurt by some poor efforts in 1 goal games this year.

Also, if anyone does send a link, please do it via Personal Message as we are not allowed to post it on the wall. Hope you find a link!

vCash
    The Green Bay Packers were in a similar situation this year. They snuck into the playoffs as a 6 seed (with only 6 playoff spots), but were second in the NFL in point differential behind New England. Also, the Packers were never down by more than 7 points at any point of any game in their entire 20 game schedule...and they ultimately won the Super Bowl.

If the Hawks get in, they will be a team no one wants to face, no matter their seeding.

vCash
    ^Exactly. The 1-goal losses have ****ed our record and our true colors will show come playoff time.