Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Ubaldo Jimenez trade value

Hearing rumors of Ubaldo Jimenez being shopped around to teams.

If we got a bucket of balls and a cooler of Kool-Aid I'd consider it a win. However, I'd like to know what you guys think about it? What should we expect back?

vCash
    Depends on how much salary we take back. However, given that it's averaging $12 million per season, I don't think we should expect much even if we give the other team a lot of cash in return. At best, I would expect a top-ranked prospect who struggled through last season.

Here's the report of the rumor from the Sun, and it doesn't seem like the Orioles will actively shop him, probably because they know it's a futile gesture.

As for the rumor that the Orioles are open to moving right-hander Ubaldo Jimenez and the three years remaining on his four-year, $50 million deal, if teams are willing to talk, the Orioles will listen. But Jimenez's contract will be difficult to move
    Personally, I am more concerned over the rumor that the Orioles offered Billy Butler a three year, $30 million contract despite coming off his worst season. That would indicate they are giving up on Cruz, and they've been linked for years to Butler. I'm not a fan at all, even if we don't re-sign Cruz.

vCash
    Ubaldo had perhaps the best sustained effort while pitching for his contract in 2013 under the watchful eye of Tito Francona and pitching coach, Mickey Callaway. Returning to the Indians could be a deal that might net both clubs something they want to get rid of.. and get something they might need.. The basis of a deal could be centered around pair of Nicks, Nick Swisher, one of Kyle/Davey Crockett or Nick Hagadone and perhaps a prospect for and Ubaldo and a prospect not named Bundy... With the ever frugal Indians, achieving equal or slightly advantageous cash considerations for the deal will have to be part of it. or.. why bother when attempting to deal with the Indains..?..

Thoughts..?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GeronimoSon View Post
    Ubaldo had perhaps the best sustained effort while pitching for his contract in 2013 under the watchful eye of Tito Francona and pitching coach, Mickey Callaway. Returning to the Indians could be a deal that might net both clubs something they want to get rid of.. and get something they might need.. The basis of a deal could be centered around pair of Nicks, Nick Swisher, one of Kyle/Davey Crockett or Nick Hagadone and perhaps a prospect for and Ubaldo and a prospect not named Bundy... With the ever frugal Indians, achieving equal or slightly advantageous cash considerations for the deal will have to be part of it. or.. why bother when attempting to deal with the Indains..?..

Thoughts..?
    That's a possibility. However, what big salary do the Indians have to trade besides Swisher and Bourn? I can't see a need for Swisher, as he's likely limited to DH/1B right now, and he might be a fallback option in case Cruz isn't brought back. The Orioles are also very frugal with money 99% of the time, so it's difficult to deal with both teams. It would have to be Swisher or Bourn I think. It's got to be pretty much an equal swap.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    That's a possibility. However, what big salary do the Indians have to trade besides Swisher and Bourn? I can't see a need for Swisher, as he's likely limited to DH/1B right now, and he might be a fallback option in case Cruz isn't brought back. The Orioles are also very frugal with money 99% of the time, so it's difficult to deal with both teams. It would have to be Swisher or Bourn I think. It's got to be pretty much an equal swap.
    The thoughts that came after posting the comment on Ubaldo concluded:

1. Bourn: The O's don't want him or need him, so his contract for contract wouldn't work.
    2. No one in their right mind would take Swisher at this juncture. It's just not going to happen..
    3. The O's may use "some" cash as an incentive.. but not a full ride...

With that said.. the following may make some sense...

-Orioles get: David Murphy OF'er ($ 6 MM,$ 7 MM club option) and Josh Tomlin RHSP (one option)

-Indians get: Ubaldo Jimenez w/ financial considerations and two prospects not in the Orioles top five.
    The financial consideration start with Ubaldo's current salary structure: 2015; $ 10 + 2016; 10.75 + 2017; 11.25 = $ 32 MM: 1/2 = $ 16 MM to the Indians, all deferred with no interest payments will remain the responsibility of the Orioles)

While David Wright is nothing special, he does hit RHP's pretty well (career .278/.344/.459 in over 2000 AB's) and would make a fine platoon as the fourth outfielder as he can play all three OF spots.. TBH, the deal hinges on the O's personnel development people's evaluation of Josh Tomlin's ability to compete. Tomlin, a.k.a. the Little Cowboy, has had some success and some misery as a ML SP. When he's right, he can be a dominating strike throwing machine that paints with black... He's fully recovered from his TJ surgery in 2012 ( he missed all but a week or two in 2013) so, the 2015 season will involve his first full offseason since the surgery..

Thoughts?..

vCash
    Uh, I am not seeing where Bourn wouldn't fill needs for the Orioles. Last year, left was manned by multiple players until De Aza came along to fill the spot. I know we have spots to find for Steve Pearce and De Aza with Davis and Machado coming back, but Bourn fills a need at the top of the order, would allow for Markakis (if he re-signs) to move back to #2 in the order where he is best and would give us much needed speed.

That said, I think the Orioles would like to get rid of some salary even if they end up paying for Jimenez, so a Bourn trade isn't likely. The issue with David Murphy? De Aza and Pearce are likely getting the time in left-field without Bourn, and the Orioles are content with David Lough as a pinch-runner and defensive replacement, so he has no use. Same with Josh Tomlin. He's had some good and bad times as a pitcher, and working with Dave Wallace might help. Even if the Orioles trade Jimenez, they still have a glut of starting pitchers- Tillman, Chen, Norris, Gonzalez and Gausman are all ready to go and pitched well this past season. Tomlin could fill the long-relief/spot starter role, but the Orioles also seem comfortable with TJ McFarland in that spot.

What the Orioles are going to be looking for is a utility infielder who has a plus glove, but also carries a better bat than the anemic one Ryan Flaherty has. They also won't turn down additional help in the bullpen, and if they ended up with a big upgrade in left field, they might take it. I don't think the Indians match up with that right now, but Jimenez back to Cleveland is a real possibility. They might need to get a third team involved.