Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Gronk might miss beginning of the season; Likely needs 4th forearm surgery

New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski has suffered a setback in his surgically-repaired left forearm that has placed his availability for the start of the 2013 regular season in jeopardy, Ron Borges and Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald report.
    Gronkowski initially broke his forearm while blocking on an extra point during a 59-24 win over the Indianapolis Colts in Week 11. The injury required surgery that kept the two-time Pro Bowler out for five games, but Gronkowsi would return for the regular season finale and the playoffs.
    While attempting to haul in a pass down the sideline in the first quarter of the divisional playoff game against the Houston Texans, Gronkowski landed on his forearm and suffered a break just above where a plate had been installed in the initial surgery. Gronkowski had surgery to repair that break, but developed an infection that required a third procedure in February.
    According to the report, Gronkowski is at the end of a six-week cycle of antibiotics to treat the "stubborn" infection that developed around the second plate. Doctors have to remove that plate and install a new one, but that might be delayed by infected tissue. Between the additional time required to clear the infected tissue, and the installation and recovery time from having a new plate installed , Gronkowski might not be ready for the start of the 2013 regular season.
    If the infection has cleared, however, a new plate can be installed and Gronkowski should be recovered in plenty of time to resume a promising career that has seen the 2010 second-round pick out of Arizona catch 187 passes for 2,663 yards and 38 touchdowns in 43 regular season games.
    Gronkowski went through the ESPN "car wash" recently and had positive reports on the status of his forearm.
    "The arm is feeling way better than it was during the playoffs, and in the regular season when I broke it,” Gronk said on the “Mike and Mike” morning show (via the Boston Herald). “Right now, I’m rehabbing, getting the muscle stronger around it. You want to get everything activated, re-activated, because it shuts down for a little bit when it’s healing...When my trainers give me the good-to-go, hopefully in the next couple weeks, as soon as possible, I can get rolling again, doing what I love doing, catching some balls."
    Between Aaron Hernandez, Jake Ballard, Michael Hoomanawanui, Daniel Fells (and Brad Herman), the Patriots have a deep stable of tight ends behind Gronkowski. However, none have the sort of impact in the passing game or red zone as the 6-foot-6, 265-pound Gronkowski, who in 2012 became just the third tight end in NFL history to have three seasons with 10 or more touchdown receptions. Gronkowski is also a dominant blocker in the running game and his absence at the start of the 2013 would be another blow to a Patriots offense that lost Wes Welker to free agency this offseason.
    Rotoworld Football ‏@Rotoworld_FB 48m
    Gronk 'very likely' needs 4th forearm surgery http://dlvr.it/3BqZ1k

Clearing out our WR core looks like a great decision now!

vCash
    omfg nooooooooo

I hope this isn't a big deal
    Last edited by Austeezy; 04-07-2013 at 05:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I dropped my phone in the toilet last night which ruined my week. If that makes you feel better.
    ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

vCash
    injury risk was gronk's draw back when he was a draft prospect but it was his back not an arm that wouldn't heal.going to have to deal with it i guess.

vCash
    Too much fist pumping in deteriorating his bone density. Dammit Gronk.

Don't care if he misses the first 3/4 of the season just so long as he is ready for the last 1/4 and hopefully into the playoffs. Most important time to gain momentum.

vCash
    I'm definitely concerned now. Gronk is an amazing player, but this is becoming a disturbing trend. Gronk better not rush back, because his long-term health is far more important. Thank goodness the Pats have Ballard as a guy that can step in if needed. He's no Gronk, but he is a good player.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradyIsTheMan12 View Post
    I'm definitely concerned now. Gronk is an amazing player, but this is becoming a disturbing trend. Gronk better not rush back, because his long-term health is far more important. Thank goodness the Pats have Ballard as a guy that can step in if needed. He's no Gronk, but he is a good player.
    Love that we got him basically to screw over the Giants. Looks like the wait will be worth it because he is a great depth guy to step in if Gronk is out awhile also it enables us to possible move AH to the slot or even run a 3 TE offense.

vCash
    I have a hard time believing Gronk won't be ready for the opener, if anything they hold him out in the preseason as a precaution.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RaginRondo17 View Post
    I have a hard time believing Gronk won't be ready for the opener, if anything they hold him out in the preseason as a precaution.
    Gronk has nothing to do with it. They have to get a new plate in there, but first they have to get rid of the infection. Then he has to heal, then train. I'd say there is little chance the makes the opening game unless everything is seemless from here on.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradyIsTheMan12 View Post

I don't think its his fault that he has the injection, he likely got it from the hospital.
    PSD Bulls Mock Trade Deadline
    Chicago Bulls

Rose-Gordon-Deng-Anderson-Asik

vCash
    What makes me nervous is the thought of his offseason lifestyle playing a role in his recovery process. I wonder if this is more of the injury itself or something stupid he may or may not be doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I dropped my phone in the toilet last night which ruined my week. If that makes you feel better.
    ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

vCash

Gronk might miss beginning of the season; Likely needs 4th forearm surgery

U would think with all the alcohol in his system it would kill any infection.

Lets be honest, one of 2 things is happening here either the orthopedic surgeon for gronk really sucked, or his lifestyle of power bombing his friends on stage needs to change because it is starting to turn gronk into jeremy shockey

vCash
    Gronkowski’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said on WSVN TV that fourth surgery has not been scheduled and that he may not need one, according to Ben Volin of the Palm Beach Post. Rosenhaus also said “that type of speculation is way off. No determinations have been made” regarding Gronkowski missing the beginning of the season.
    NESN

Who knows what really is going on. Hopefully he doesn't need another surgery.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyBrave View Post
    U would think with all the alcohol in his system it would kill any infection.

Lets be honest, one of 2 things is happening here either the orthopedic surgeon for gronk really sucked, or his lifestyle of power bombing his friends on stage needs to change because it is starting to turn gronk into jeremy shockey

Very good

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    to turn gronk into jeremy shockey
    yeah, i seriously don't want this but it is a real possibility.

vCash
    Well, there is nothing in this news that can any way be spun as good news.

As far as Rob Gronkowki being Jeremy Shockey that is a bit premature. The thing many like about him is his willingness to play with reckless abandon. I expect many can remember the play in the end-zone (MNF against the Chiefs @ 2:20) when he landed on his neck and upper back? Playing like that has a cost. Players that are willing to risk it all regularly have to pay the price. This guy is going to get injured. Make no mistake about it.

His infection can be blamed on many things. Fans and media alike are easy to point to his lifestyle as something to blame. It may have everything to do with it but just as easily could have nothing to do with it. If he was a monk in the off-season and lived a solitary lifestyle would that be helpful, would that prevent such things from happening? Maybe the infection is actually he is working too hard to come back and his downtime has virtually nothing to do with it. Maybe he is spending too much time in rehab and workout facilities that are full of germs.

we are a society that is quick to search for something to blame.
    Last edited by subroc; 04-08-2013 at 01:00 PM.
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast