Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: offseason!

vCash
    Any suggestions for starter SF spot??
    Available via trade: Iggy, JSmooth, Gay, Beasley, Artest, and Roy?
    Free Agent Market: C.Butler, W.Chandler, T.Young, T.Prince, S.Battier, J.Howard, A.Kirilenko, J.Green, J.Richardson, J.R.Smith, A.Parker, M.Redd and T.McGrady

vCash
    ^ Well, you can essentially eliminate half the players on that list because they have either already played here and were traded or are 2-guards, not small forwards, so no Artest, Roy, Battier, Smith, Redd, Richardson or McGrady (shudder).

I'd also eliminate Caron Butler, Josh Howard or Anthony Parker, as I don't think they bring enough to the table for Houston to sign them.

Of the remaining players (Iggy, Smith, Gay, Chandler, Young, Prince, Kirilenko and Green), I'd be a little surprised if Atlanta were to move Smith, and I'm not sure Morey wants any part of Iggy or Gay's contracts. And if it were me, personally, I'd try to avoid guys like Prince and Kirilenko who are clearly past their prime.

Between Green, Chandler and Young, all three are restricted. I like Chandler the most, but I think both he and green are practically locks to resign with their original teams. No way Denver and Boston let them walk after the trades they made to acquire them last season.

Young is the most viable option, as Philly has a lot of young players it will need to resign soon and Thad could be the odd man out. He's a bit of a tweener, but I love his length, his rebounding and his ability to score in the paint. Not a great outside shooter, but he doesn't have to be with Lowry and Martin on the floor. More importantly, he's only 22 and I think he's yet to crack his real potential. If Houston could add him, I'd be thrilled...

vCash
    If we cant sign Nene, Gasol, Jordan or Dalembert, can we trade for Timofey Mozgoz?? uhmm.. 14th pick for Mozgoz..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    ^ Well, you can essentially eliminate half the players on that list because they have either already played here and were traded or are 2-guards, not small forwards, so no Artest, Roy, Battier, Smith, Redd, Richardson or McGrady (shudder).

I'd also eliminate Caron Butler, Josh Howard or Anthony Parker, as I don't think they bring enough to the table for Houston to sign them.

Of the remaining players (Iggy, Smith, Gay, Chandler, Young, Prince, Kirilenko and Green), I'd be a little surprised if Atlanta were to move Smith, and I'm not sure Morey wants any part of Iggy or Gay's contracts. And if it were me, personally, I'd try to avoid guys like Prince and Kirilenko who are clearly past their prime.

Between Green, Chandler and Young, all three are restricted. I like Chandler the most, but I think both he and green are practically locks to resign with their original teams. No way Denver and Boston let them walk after the trades they made to acquire them last season.

Young is the most viable option, as Philly has a lot of young players it will need to resign soon and Thad could be the odd man out. He's a bit of a tweener, but I love his length, his rebounding and his ability to score in the paint. Not a great outside shooter, but he doesn't have to be with Lowry and Martin on the floor. More importantly, he's only 22 and I think he's yet to crack his real potential. If Houston could add him, I'd be thrilled...
    How about we trade Luis Scola,2011 draft pick/s and some of our "young potential players" (Twill or Bud and Hill or Thab) for a starting SF(maybe a 3-4 teams trade would work).. then resign Carl Landry(if not, im happy with Patterson to be the starting PF) and Chuck Hayes..

Will atlanta trade JSmooth if we absorbed Marvin's contract?? we have 7M+ Trade exception from Battier's trade..
    Last edited by NBA-GMaster; 06-16-2011 at 06:52 AM.

vCash
    bring Tmac back!!! lol
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash

I actually think Denver might be open to dealing Chandler, they seem to have tentatively penciled in Danilo Gallinari as their SF of the future (though I see him as a tweener) and Chandler did not play well for them down the stretch. They are likely going to lose K-Mart (the PF) and could be looking to make a move to remain a solid playoff team.

I am actually getting to a point where I expect some serious fireworks to go off during the draft... I dont know if we are trying to make a run at a big player, rebuild, or retool... but I think something is going to happen beyond just selecting with our picks where they are now.

Just a week to go... I am assuming there will be a lockout shortly after the draft so this could be all the off season we have to work with for a while.
    Last edited by Crzycjunx76; 06-16-2011 at 08:10 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Crzycjunx76 View Post
    I am actually getting to a point where I expect some serious fireworks to go off during the draft... I dont know if we are trying to make a run at a big player, rebuild, or retool... but I think something is going to happen beyond just selecting with our picks where they are now.
    I'd like to think this way, but as a Houston sports fan, I've learned to never get my hopes up. Ever. There are a ton of solid options for Houston to improve before and during the draft, but I'm telling myself to expect nothing out of this draft besides some solid picks at 14 and 23.

vCash
    I'd like to think this way, but as a Houston sports fan, I've learned to never get my hopes up. Ever. There are a ton of solid options for Houston to improve before and during the draft, but I'm telling myself to expect nothing out of this draft besides some solid picks at 14 and 23.
    As a lifelong Saints fan let me just say this, hold on to your hope. Even when the reality of the situation forces you to be critical of your own team, cheer them on. I am also an Astros fan and a Rockets fan (obviously) and even though I am highly critical of both current teams (more so with the Stros) I am confident that their respective predicaments will not last forever. Eventually the Astros will legitimately commit to building from within and eventually the Rockets will get off of their treadmill to nowhere...

vCash
    I'm a Kings fan, I wanted to see what Houston fans think of this trade idea:

#7, #35, and Omri Casspi for #14, #23, and Jordan Hill or Patrick Patterson

I don't know what Houston is looking for in the draft, but I'm guessing that you guys want a center. Moving up to #7 should allow you to draft either Valanciunas or Biyombo. Also, Casspi may be able to blossom in your system. I'm not sure how much you guys value Hill and Patterson, but I'd be content with either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent008 View Post
    I'm a Kings fan, I wanted to see what Houston fans think of this trade idea:

#7, #35, and Omri Casspi for #14, #23, and Jordan Hill or Patrick Patterson

I don't know what Houston is looking for in the draft, but I'm guessing that you guys want a center. Moving up to #7 should allow you to draft either Valanciunas or Biyombo. Also, Casspi may be able to blossom in your system. I'm not sure how much you guys value Hill and Patterson, but I'd be content with either.
    Not a fan of Casspi at all but I would do #7 for #14 and Jordan Hill if one of the right players was available with the pick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Crzycjunx76 View Post
    As a lifelong Saints fan let me just say this, hold on to your hope. Even when the reality of the situation forces you to be critical of your own team, cheer them on. I am also an Astros fan and a Rockets fan (obviously) and even though I am highly critical of both current teams (more so with the Stros) I am confident that their respective predicaments will not last forever. Eventually the Astros will legitimately commit to building from within and eventually the Rockets will get off of their treadmill to nowhere...
    I'll agree with most of this, and I will never quit rooting for the Astros, Rockets, Titans, etc... However, sometimes as a fan you have to hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. Look at the Los Angeles Clippers,the Pittsburgh Pirates, and the entire city of Cleveland. If management does not make extreme improvements, that could be the future for Houston sports.

vCash
    I'll agree with most of this, and I will never quit rooting for the Astros, Rockets, Titans, etc... However, sometimes as a fan you have to hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. Look at the Los Angeles Clippers,the Pittsburgh Pirates, and the entire city of Cleveland. If management does not make extreme improvements, that could be the future for Houston sports.
    Yep... I remember paper bags. The fans were still at the games still selling out the stadium and buying the jerseys/shirts/etc, but we were sure as hell prepared for the worst.

vCash
    Well after some of the comments from Morey in recent articles and the general feeling of the trade rumors we have been involved in I am starting to get a less than happy vibe out of this draft.

It appears to me that we still do not have a definite direction for the team and Morey still sees himself as building our asset base. I am honestly thinking we have our eye on some possible trades to move up for true top flight talent and if that fails we will take the highest upside available at our picks, I would be ok with this if it was directed at either a rebuild or contention approach but I think it is more for stockpiling than anything else. If there is no high upside at our picks I really see Morey trading back or out of the draft completely to pick up future draft picks.

The whole purpose of this seems to me to be the pipe dream of acquiring Howard. Morey saw how at least one top flight young talent and multiple draft picks were necessary to even be in the discussion for a superstar trade this last season and he is trying to acquire what he thinks will get it done with the ultimate goal of having a team centered around Lowry, Martin, and Howard.

I really feel that everyone on our roster (or whose rights we own) is available to reach this end and we could even see some of our current role players dealt for picks in future drafts or to move up in this one.

I should be happy with a plan like this because it is exactly what I preach, you either need to go in all the way and get top talent in your starting 5 or rebuild and try to build that talent from within. This would seem to be guaranteed to reach that end with top talent and picks being acquired so if we whiff on Howard we have a solid young core. Howard is a long shot though and even focusing all our assets on acquiring him would be unlikely to net him and that is where the problem begins. I dont think Morey would be willing to commit to the rebuild at that point but would simply zero in on the next "star" that he thinks we would have a chance of grabbing and focus on them. Meanwhile the team would be in limbo with no real direction, no strength at the top of the rotation and not enough minutes to bring along all the young talent.

I mean he has already put us in a holding pattern with our head coach hire. Mchale just reeks of being a "place holder" coach. I could see us moving our picks for more value, either a top pick or picks in upcoming drafts and then resigning Hayes, Yao(1yr), and Dragic. Just treading water and biding time for a big deal(that may never come) all the while hoping Yao builds some value on the court without breaking.

I suppose I am making a mountain out of a molehill here seeing as I am basing this on just a few random comments and rumors of trade calls.. but I would like to think Morey has established a solid MO in his time as GM, he likes value late in the draft and good at finding it (not great as was proved by Taylor and Dorsey) but his favorite thing to do is make a splash... he will pass up good offers and bide his time looking for the slam dunk deal. Sometimes he just lets assets go instead of cashing them in for something he feels is less that a good deal and I just don't see him being happy unless he can magic up a top flight player out of seemingly thin air.

vCash
    How would you guys feel if we stayed at 14 and took Markieff Morris. I've seen some mocks with us getting him and i like the pick, but only if we get rid of our overflow of power forwards in the process. Maybe move Scola and Hill with the 23rd pick for a center? I'd like to move up to get Kanter or Biyombo but I'm not going to get my hopes up. Nonetheless, Markieff Morris anybody?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ0604 View Post
    How would you guys feel if we stayed at 14 and took Markieff Morris. I've seen some mocks with us getting him and i like the pick, but only if we get rid of our overflow of power forwards in the process. Maybe move Scola and Hill with the 23rd pick for a center? I'd like to move up to get Kanter or Biyombo but I'm not going to get my hopes up. Nonetheless, Markieff Morris anybody?

Looking over a sample of of 11 mock drafts here is who they have us taking at 14 and 23 and what I think of the potential selections. (numbers in parenthesis are for players that were taken in multiple mocks)

Bismack Biyombo C/PF- . He has good athletic traits and is a quick study I personally feel if he develops he could be the next Carlos Boozer and I think he has a better future as a strong defensive post presence, rebounder, and a pick and roll PF... not a Center. Unfortunately he could also be the next Joe Dorsey and not cut it at the NBA level. I am very much on the fence with him but one thing I believe is that he is not a Center and would therefore pass on him at 14 unless we have a trade in the works.

Jordan Hamilton SF/SG (3) - He has a great shot mechanic and is very very strong for a 3/2. He is also a smart player and a good rebounder for his position. Unfortunately though he is fast he lacks lateral quickness which hampers his defensive ability and upside at the NBA level. Honestly I see him as Chase Budinger with more strength and less ball handling skills for the duration of his NBA career. I would hope there would be better options at 14 or we would trade out of the spot but I would be ok with the selection.

Jimmer Fredette PG- He is an offensive maestro with the ball in his hands and is a dead-eye shot from anywhere on the floor. He is also the defensive equivalent of the "screen door on a submarine" and he is a poor player when he does not have the ball in his hands. If we were going for a total run and gun look he would be a good scorer off the bench but I would be disappointed if we took him at 14.

Donatas Motiejunas PF- If a guy with the upside of Dirk drops to 14 you take him... Of course you do not just declare a guy the next Nowitzki and chances are he will never reach that level. He is EXTREMELY talented though and even if he may take a year or two of polishing and adding strength he could be an elite offensive talent with adequate defensive skills. Oh and I personally think his lack of rebounding is more scheme than ability and has been blown out of proportion. If he is there you take him and be thankful that he fell...

Markieff Morris PF- He is a tough player with questionable athletic tools. IMO he is a good backup option as a pro but has zero upside for the future. Rebounds, defends, and shoots well but he has little game outside of these skills and lacks the athleticism to truly develop them. He would be a great pick at 23, that he is even being considered at 14 shows weakness in this draft and I would be disappointed with the pick.

Kenneth Faried PF- NO... I wold probably say no at 23 as well and think that better players will be available in the 2nd round.

Tobias Harris PF (not a SF IMO)- I see a lot of Carl Landry in him with better defensive tools... he does have some upside but 14 would be too high to select Landry and is too high to select Harris. Not a fan of him being taken at 14.

Tristan Thompson PF- I know some here are high on this guy but to me he is an undersized PF who plays like a C and got away with it at the college level but will not as a pro. He has a poor shot mechanic and too little lead in the pants to hold up in the post. He could be a good energy player off the bench as a 4 and is a annoyingly tenacious defender at times.. but if we took him at 14 I would be very disappointed.

Jan Vesely SF/PF- He is an incredible athlete and very long for his athletic skills, I think everyone who has followed the draft knows that with his tools the sky is the limit. HOWEVER he has extremely high bust potential, even staying at the 3 he needs to put on weight, and there are questions as to if he can properly guard the perimeter. His shooting stroke is getting better but it still has a ways to go. I would fall all over myself if we picked him up at 14 as I really feel he can become an elite player at either the 3 or the 4 but if he drops that far it will likely be because of concerns over buying him out of his deal and he might not come to the NBA this season. Bottom line though, he is young, supremely talented and if he is there at 14 you take him.

IF all of these guys were available I would have to think long and hard between selecting I would practically have to flip a coin over Vesely and Motiejunas. I think Montiejunas has less bust factor and the same high upside as Vesely but our weakness at SF and the fact that many NBA teams have Vesely as a locked in top 10 pick makes me second guess my gut.

Darius Morris (2)- Excellent court vision and a good ball handler. He is a true point but he is not a good athlete, shooter, or scorer. He could be a serviceable backup if he develops a jump shot but his lack of athleticism will keep him from being a good defender or a starter. I would be strongly opposed to us taking him at #23.

Tyler Honeycutt SG/SF (2)- He is an inconsistent scorer but a good shooter. He has a good shot mechanic but is not adept at scoring off the drive. He does a great job moving off the ball to get open and hits his shots and he even moves well with the ball but has not developed the creativity in finishing. He is actually a good man defender on the perimiter due to his quickness and length but he is insanely thin and needs to fill out considerably to stand a chance of defending the post. I would be fine with him as our pick at 23.

Josh Selby PG/SG- No offensive game, he is athletic but a poor/streaky shooter with poor ball handling skills, he is a good defender and has all the physical tools to develop an offensive game however. I do like his potential but I am not sure he warrants a first round selection, specifically since re-signing Dragic would give us a player with a similar game who is more developed. I would probably question his selection at #23 as better options will likely be available.

Nikola Vucevic (3)- He has a good collection of low post moves, a good jumper, and is polished on the offensive end. He is a good defensive rebounder but unfortunately he is nonathletic even for a 7footer and is not strong on the defensive end as he is below average on help defense, man defense and shot blocking. I really think there are better big options that will likely be there even in the second round.

Kyle Singler SF- Un-athletic, poor defender, only an average shooter, just not an NBA player and has zero upside. He is smart with the ball and knows how to play the game but he is deep bench energy player at best IMO. Would be very unhappy with him at 23.

Chris Singleton- a quality defender at multiple positions and a decent athlete. His offensive game is not all that impressive due mostly to his lack of great coordination and his inconsistent shot mechanic. That said I would be very happy with his selection at #23.

Jeremy Tyler C/PF- Has the body, soft shooting touch, and athleticism to be an elite post player. He is rawer than raw though and has a lot of work to do before he is ready to play significant minutes and his attitude and work ethic are questionable as well. I equate him to Cousins only I think he actually has more upside... unfortunately he is also less polished and just as headstrong(if the reports are accurate). If we are rebuilding or stockpiling talent he is an excellent choice... If we are intent on contending now not so much. I would be Ok, possibly even happy with him at #23.

Depending on our direction as a franchise (if we have picked one that is) I would either select Tyler or Singleton if they were both available at 23. Tyler would be the better for rebuilding and would have more trade value for a star but Singleton could contribute right away. Honeycutt also has good upside but if we are going for the upside pick Jeremy Tyler has much much more.
    Last edited by Crzycjunx76; 06-21-2011 at 01:23 AM.

Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast