Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: offseason!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sep11ie View Post
    After last night, how good would Sammy D look in Rockets red?
    I kept thinking that all last night after the game. The guy isn't an elite center by any means, but he fills exactly the hole the Rockets need. He's 29, and I think Houston could probably sign him to a 3-4 year contract for reasonable money as I doubt anyone will give him more than $6-8 million per season.

I don't think he alone makes Houston a contender, but he would certainly improve their interior defensive woes and if you add him to this team, they're at least a 6-seed in the playoffs next season.

vCash
    I just think he'd be a great(almost perfect) fit next to Scola. Doesn't demand the ball, but can still score, cleans the glass amung the best in the league, blocks shots, and hits free throws.

Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

vCash
    I laways said that I would love him, We could have traded for him this season and last season when Phila was trying to trade him along with iggy
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sep11ie View Post
    I just think he'd be a great(almost perfect) fit next to Scola. Doesn't demand the ball, but can still score, cleans the glass amung the best in the league, blocks shots, and hits free throws.
    I agree completely, and he does not look as sluggish as he appeared to be his final two seasons in Philly.

vCash
    and he would be a lot less expensive than gasol, jordan, chandler and even nene
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Having read a little of the argument here, I'll have to say that I like Burks, but I feel like there are better fits for Houston with that first pick. This is a decent draft for SF and while Burks CAN play the position, that doesn't mean you could depend on him to start there and Houston is already loaded with Martin and Lee as true SGs.

Houston clearly does not have a problem scoring, and I would rather go with an athletic, lengthy 3 who can defend, rebound and run the floor than a scorer. Terrence Jones and Kawhi Leonard are two guys who come to mind who could potentially fall to No. 14. If they're not there, I would look at Chris Singleton with their second pick or in the second round.

Houston has so many shooters and talented guards that I feel like they need to load up on athletic defenders. Although, if I'm Morey, I would use the two first round picks to move up and select a better player with that first pick.
    The Rockets should not be drafting based on need at this point, they need guys that could become all-stars, so I would take the best player available, regardless of the position

athletic lengthy 3s are rarely ever more than role players and adding more role players does nothing for this team

Burks has the tools to be an NBA all-star, that is why I would draft him over the others

In this draft, the guys with the most potential is who the rockets should be looking at
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino17 View Post
    The Rockets should not be drafting based on need at this point, they need guys that could become all-stars, so I would take the best player available, regardless of the position

athletic lengthy 3s are rarely ever more than role players and adding more role players does nothing for this team

Burks has the tools to be an NBA all-star, that is why I would draft him over the others

In this draft, the guys with the most potential is who the rockets should be looking at
    I think that's debatable. It really depends on if the Rockets decide to go into full out rebuilding mode or if they want to build around what they already have. If they're completely rebuilding, then it makes sense to just draft the most talented players available. If not, then I think they have to go for need.

Also, based on the way Lowry and Martin have played at the end of this season, I'm not sure that an all star is what they need to become a legitimate contender. A couple of role playing, defensive minded upgrades at SF and C might be exactly what this team needs to compete.

vCash
    Not to get back into this debate but I would not consider 6'6" to be exceptionally tall for a SF... 6'8-7' yeah, that is exceptional length for the position. Of course wingspan is more important but wingspan typically closely correlates with height.

I do think he could end up Brandon Roy esque after a season or two of limited minutes... without the knee problem that is.
    Last edited by Crzycjunx76; 04-07-2011 at 04:55 AM.

vCash
    well since the season is over,should we just let our younger guys play the minutes? lets see what thabeet and willliams can give next season or let teams see what they could bring for their own team.

vCash
    Agreed

vCash
    TWill is still nursing his abdominal muscle injury. I say yea, let all the youngstas play. Can't hurt now, unless Rick wants to end his Houston reign on a winning streak.

Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

vCash
    Also, based on the way Lowry and Martin have played at the end of this season, I'm not sure that an all star is what they need to become a legitimate contender. A couple of role playing, defensive minded upgrades at SF and C might be exactly what this team needs to compete.
    Not a chance, no way a team built around Martin and Lowry will ever compete for anything

the upgrades you listed would simply jump them from out of the playoffs to a low seeded playoff team that will get beat every year

its time to blow up the team, they have no cornerstone to build around, until they change that, they will sulk in their current state of mediocrity
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

vCash

Offseason Plan

Honestly guys,

I think we need to package Scola, T-Will, and this years 1st rounder to Raptors if they end up with the #5 pick in the draft. The guy we need to draft is Enes Kanter. He's 6'11 with a 7'4 wingspan and is the most polished center to enter the league since Yao. Some experts have even said as of now he's more advanced than Yao was at this stage (19 years old). He could provide an excellent frontcourt with Patterson for years to come! Also I would try and pry away Thaddeus Young from the 76ers to be our starting SF. We all love Bud, BUT he simply can't handle any player at the 3 on defense! Young is the 6th man for the 76ers and he's 6'8, athletic, plays above-average defense, and can put up good #s overall if he were given more playing time. What do yall think?

PG: Lowry, Dragic
    SG: Martin, Lee
    SF: Young, Budinger
    PF: Patterson, Hill
    C: Kanter, Hayes, Thabeet

vCash
    I think that's debatable. It really depends on if the Rockets decide to go into full out rebuilding mode or if they want to build around what they already have. If they're completely rebuilding, then it makes sense to just draft the most talented players available. If not, then I think they have to go for need.

wilson chandler fits the bill perfectly, his a SF that can defend and block shots, he can also score.

vCash
    Not a chance, no way a team built around Martin and Lowry will ever compete for anything

the upgrades you listed would simply jump them from out of the playoffs to a low seeded playoff team that will get beat every year

its time to blow up the team, they have no cornerstone to build around, until they change that, they will sulk in their current state of mediocrity
    Sorry. But I'm not buying the "you need a superstar to succeed in this league" argument. If you look at guys considered to be "superstars" in the league, you'd have to consider Lebron, Kobe, Wade, Dwight, Rose, Paul, D-Will, Dirk, Melo, Durant, Griffin and possible Amare.

What about the Spurs and the Celtics? Because when I look at their roster, I don't see a superstar among them anymore. Look at teams like Denver, Portland, Atlanta and Philadelphia. Not one superstar on any of their rosters, while New York's duo has struggled mightily since forming at the deadline.

Essentially, I think you need at least a couple of all-star caliber players, a legit inside-outside game, a group of guys who have played together a long time and know their roles and you need to be able to play lockdown defense to contend in this league. Given what we've seen at the end of this season, if this team can get longer and better defensively, I think it's worth keeping together one more year to see how it works out.

Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast