Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: offseason!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino17 View Post
    I DO NOT want DeAndre Jordan on the Rockets, huge money at him would be a huge mistske

we are not a fringe all-star or role player away from competing, if anything, we should trade guys like Scola in order to acquire more picks and nail the draft, picking up a franchise cornerstone, they need a franchise player to build around, the only way I see that happening now is through the draft,
    There are a few guys with that potential in this draft... of course one of them will be gone by pick 3 at the latest and he is a year or two away from being a serious contributor the others are extreme long shots and are 2-3 years from being serious rotation options. This is a draft with a lot of guys that are a long way off... and a lot of guys that are ready but are pretty much career average starters or backups at best.

vCash
    I DO NOT want DeAndre Jordan on the Rockets, huge money at him would be a huge mistske

we are not a fringe all-star or role player away from competing, if anything, we should trade guys like Scola in order to acquire more picks and nail the draft, picking up a franchise cornerstone, they need a franchise player to build around, the only way I see that happening now is through the draft,
    man deandre jordan is a monster inside, efiicient on offense, the draft is horrible, I would trade all the picks
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Crzycjunx76 View Post
    There are a few guys with that potential in this draft... of course one of them will be gone by pick 3 at the latest and he is a year or two away from being a serious contributor the others are extreme long shots and are 2-3 years from being serious rotation options. This is a draft with a lot of guys that are a long way off... and a lot of guys that are ready but are pretty much career average starters or backups at best.
    you can say that about any draft, that fact is that we dont know until they are pros

For instance, Alec Burks at the 14 pick would be an amazing selection, an absolute Morey pick

He and martin playing together would be amazing to watch

Quote Originally Posted by EDUTEXANS View Post
    man deandre jordan is a monster inside, efiicient on offense, the draft is horrible, I would trade all the picks
    He also has no offensive skill, is almost exclusively a weakside defender, and has a horrible attitude
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

vCash
    you can say that about any draft, that fact is that we dont know until they are pros
    For instance, Alec Burks at the 14 pick would be an amazing selection, an absolute Morey pick

He also has no offensive skill, is almost exclusively a weakside defender, and has a horrible attitude
    this was just what I think, and that's why i don't like the draft, first you have to pray for him to worth the pick and then wait the player develop all he can

and deandre jordan is just a kid, he will develop a lot more mentally, fisically and in the floor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EDUTEXANS View Post
    this was just what I think, and that's why i don't like the draft, first you have to pray for him to worth the pick and then wait the player develop all he can

and deandre jordan is just a kid, he will develop a lot more mentally, fisically and in the floor
    I know Deandre, he is never going to be a guy that works hard or wants to develop his game to improve, just getting by is his goal
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

vCash
    I know Deandre, he is never going to be a guy that works hard or wants to develop his game to improve, just getting by is his goal
    even that way I want him, but obviously not spending a lot of money on him, I read a max contract, that would be just stupid

Hayes really said that to Hibbert??? nice..

vCash

Where would he play? He is not physical enough to play SF, and he lacks point skills. Also he takes bad shots, does not move the ball well within the offense, plays poorly off the ball, has limited range (not 3pt ready), and has erratic form on his shot.

If we were trading C-Lee I could somewhat see him as a backup SG with future aspirations of taking the starting spot.

Of course the biggest problem I have with him, is despite his weaknesses and general raw state... he will likely go pretty close to pick 10 simply because this draft is extremely weak... weaker than last seasons actually.
    Last edited by Crzycjunx76; 04-05-2011 at 07:16 PM.

vCash
    Where would he play? He is not physical enough to play SF, and he lacks point skills. Also he takes bad shots, does not move the ball well within the offense, plays poorly off the ball, has limited range (not 3pt ready), and has erratic form on his shot.

If we were trading C-Lee I could somewhat see him as a backup SG with future aspirations of taking the starting spot.
    -He is 6'6 and has played every position from PG to PF this year and is a good defender, there is no reason to think he cannot play SF

-He lacks PG skills? Is that why he led his team in assists and ran the offense?

- Doesn't move the ball well? See above, he has great vision as a passer

- Define limited range, he shoots between 30 and 35% from 3 in college which is a fine rate, especially for a guy that is not a "shooter", also a role he was not asked to play as Colorado had 4 3 point shooter around him

- Explain erratic form as well, this statement makes no sense to me

I have watched the guy play on a nightly basis for 2 years now, and traits you conveniently left out

-Top 25 scorer in the country
    - Gets to the free throw line a TON (5th in the country in free throws made) and hits them at a high rate
    -Shows up in crunch time/big games
    -Is a good defender, on AND off the ball ( a rarity in todays game)
    -Great finisher and great on fast break (both finishing and distributing)

The guy was nothing short of a superstar this year in college basketball, did everything on both sides of the court
    Last edited by rhino17; 04-05-2011 at 07:37 PM.

vCash
    -He is 6'6 and has played every position from PG to PF this year and is a good defender, there is no reason to think he cannot play SF

-He lacks PG skills? Is that why he led his team in assists and ran the offense?

- Doesn't move the ball well? See above, he has great vision as a passer

- Define limited range, he shoots between 30 and 35% from 3 in college which is a fine rate, especially for a guy that is not a "shooter", also a role he was not asked to play as Colorado had 4 3 point shooter around him

- Explain erratic form as well, this statement makes no sense to me

I have watched the guy play on a nightly basis for 2 years now, and traits you conveniently left out

-Top 25 scorer in the country
    - Gets to the free throw line a TON (5th in the country in free throws made) and hits them at a high rate
    -Shows up in crunch time/big games
    -Is a good defender, on AND off the ball ( a rarity in todays game)
    -Great finisher and great on fast break (both finishing and distributing)

The guy was nothing short of a superstar this year in college basketball, did everything on both sides of the court
    I am mostly just parroting scouts who feel he will be a scoring point or a shooting guard in the pros. They feel he lacks the physicality to play SF in the NBA, would have turnover problems as a primary ball handler in the NBA, athletically is good but not great for the NBA, does not have NBA three point range at this time primarily because his shooting form while it is sometimes good is erratic and will have to be altered, he plays badly off the ball on offense, is a good defender but mostly because of his quick hands and has difficulty keeping his hands and feet in sync on defense which will result in cheap fouls at the pro level.

Basically they see him as a developmental shooting guard who can play the one if someone else is there to run point. Not saying he is going to be awful, actually I think he will be pretty good with a year or two under his belt... but we do not need another two guard or even a combo guard if you think he can handle the point.

vCash
    I am mostly just parroting scouts who feel he will be a scoring point or a shooting guard in the pros. They feel he lacks the physicality to play SF in the NBA, would have turnover problems as a primary ball handler in the NBA, athletically is good but not great for the NBA, does not have NBA three point range at this time primarily because his shooting form while it is sometimes good is erratic and will have to be altered, he plays badly off the ball on offense, is a good defender but mostly because of his quick hands and has difficulty keeping his hands and feet in sync on defense which will result in cheap fouls at the pro level.

Basically they see him as a developmental shooting guard who can play the one if someone else is there to run point. Not saying he is going to be awful, actually I think he will be pretty good with a year or two under his belt... but we do not need another two guard or even a combo guard if you think he can handle the point.
    I noticed that you just pretty much restated what some sites said about him

I already went into detail about what is wrong with the analysis, but to reiterate, a lot (90%) of these claims are completely baseless, especially if you have watched the guy play even for just a few games

the biggest thing I dont understand is the PG thing, the guy is not a PG, he is a long athletic 6'6, not the typical PG body, but the body of a wing player which is what he is best at

vCash
    I noticed that you just pretty much restated what some sites said about him

I already went into detail about what is wrong with the analysis, but to reiterate, a lot (90%) of these claims are completely baseless, especially if you have watched the guy play even for just a few games

the biggest thing I dont understand is the PG thing, the guy is not a PG, he is a long athletic 6'6, not the typical PG body, but the body of a wing player which is what he is best at
    A players success in college is not in direct correlation to their success in the pros. Tools, habits, physical traits, form and technique are more important indicators.

Basically the general consensus is that no matter what he may have done at the NCAA level he has some things that were successful for him there that will have to be changed for him to succeed at the pro level and physically he is limited to being a guard.

vCash
    A players success in college is not in direct correlation to their success in the pros. Tools, habits, physical traits, form and technique are more important indicators.

Basically the general consensus is that no matter what he may have done at the NCAA level he has some things that were successful for him there that will have to be changed for him to succeed at the pro level and physically he is limited to being a guard.
    Again, you have never watched him, so there is really no point in continuing this

what physically is preventing him from doing anything?
    Last edited by rhino17; 04-06-2011 at 12:29 AM.

vCash
    Again, you have never watched him, so there is really no point in continuing this

what physically is preventing him from doing anything?

Physically 6-6 195lbs... thin build, no anchor against bigger small forwards at the pro level. He could add weight but from what I HAVE seen of him, and I have seen him play a little, he is not a top end athlete and though he does have enough quickness now to play at the NBA level, will he retain that with another 30lbs on his frame so he can play against the bigger SF's? He is a 2 guard in my estimation... if we are rebuilding, fine, if not why do we need a 2?

As far as continuing this argument, I guess we kind of agree on that, neither of us have a valid case for determining his pro prospects. A fan watching him and the draft sights scouting are basically the same... and both are worth far less than the kind of pro scouting scouting assessment on which Morey would make his decision.

Anyway, it is all are nothing and we need to have it figured out before the draft. Either we commit big to our needs through trades and free agency and put forward the best 8-9 man squad we can together or we blow it up completely aim to be in playoff contention about three years from now and go for the players through trade and the draft with the highest upside we can find.

I am fine with either decision Even with the best acquisitions I do not think the first option could possibly make us prohibitive favorites for the title but we could be in contention, and an opponents injury or slump away from big things. If we go for the rebuild I trust our scouting to make good decisions and Morey to pull some talent out of thin air on trades.

We just need to make A decision, no more planning for next year or the deadline, sitting on the fence, no more halfway. One way or another!

If we decide to rebuild and Alec Burks is the pick then I will be confident that our staff has evaluated him and decided he was the best option, if not then I will be confident that he was not.. they get paid to make those distinctions for a living.

Honestly if we go total rebuild I would definitely like to see us re-sign Yao on the cheap for one season. I would not depend on him as a contender but as a rebuilding a club with raw bigs on the roster I see no problem. If he breaks, who cares, if he excels trade him for whatever value is available.

Anyway I did not mean to get argumentative about it, he would not be my first choice, but mainly I am just frustrated I think about our seemingly extended stay on the treadmill of mediocrity.
    Last edited by Crzycjunx76; 04-06-2011 at 03:17 AM.

vCash
    Having read a little of the argument here, I'll have to say that I like Burks, but I feel like there are better fits for Houston with that first pick. This is a decent draft for SF and while Burks CAN play the position, that doesn't mean you could depend on him to start there and Houston is already loaded with Martin and Lee as true SGs.

Houston clearly does not have a problem scoring, and I would rather go with an athletic, lengthy 3 who can defend, rebound and run the floor than a scorer. Terrence Jones and Kawhi Leonard are two guys who come to mind who could potentially fall to No. 14. If they're not there, I would look at Chris Singleton with their second pick or in the second round.

Houston has so many shooters and talented guards that I feel like they need to load up on athletic defenders. Although, if I'm Morey, I would use the two first round picks to move up and select a better player with that first pick.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    Lakers will make the playoffs this year and my bold prediction is they finish higher than the Rockets.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdymez View Post
    And Lebron puts up great numbers, your right. Debate over. You win. Lebron is the greatest

vCash
    After last night, how good would Sammy D look in Rockets red?

Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast