Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Mets sale gains interest of 'Entourage' exec producer

All of the groups approved by Major League Baseball to bid on a stake in the Mets that have been publicly idenfitied have deep pockets and business acumen.

But only one - the group of bidders that includes "Entourage" executive producer Doug Ellin - has star power.

If the group can reach a deal with the Wilpon family to buy a minority share in the beleaguered ballclub, sources told the Daily News, Ellin will enlist actors Kevin Connolly, Kevin Dillon and Ed Burns to bring their star power to Citi Field.

"I'm a giant sports fan and to be involved in a professional sports franchise would be a dream come true," said Connolly, who plays Eric (E) Murphy on "Entourage." "Growing up on Long Island, I was a giant Mets fan, so that makes it even more of a dream come true."

Ellin's group also includes Steven Starker, a co-founder of BTIG, a global trading firm; Kenny Dichter, a co-founder of airline Marquis Jets; and Randy Frankel, a minority owner of the Tampa Bay Rays who helped turn a hapless franchise into a competitive team.

Connolly said the principals are all "genius marketers" who would help revive the Mets, who have struggled in recent years with on-field losses and off-field scandals. Owners Fred Wilpon, his son Jeff, and his brother-in-law Saul Katz announced they are selling a minority stake in the team after Irving Picard, the trustee for the victims of Bernie Madoff's Ponzi scheme, filed a lawsuit against them seeking up to $1 billion.

Dillon, who plays Johnny (Drama) Chase on the HBO series, grew up in Mamaroneck and is also a big Mets fan. So is Burns, who grew up not far from Citi Field in Woodside and had a recurring guest role in "Entourage."

Connolly, who played sports writer Bill Nack in 2010's "Secretariat," grew up in Patchogue, L.I. As "Entourage" viewers already know, he is a huge Islanders fan (the Isles' logo served as a screensaver on E's computer in one episode last season). He said the actors are willing to do whatever Ellin and his partners ask them if the group purchases a stake in the Mets.

"We have a lot of ideas and I think this could be a lot of fun," Connolly said. "As far as what we would do specifically, that's something we'll have to sit down and figure out. There are a lot of talented people from Long Island who are also Mets fans."
    Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz1IPo2Q3RP

with a deal like this, we're well on our way to becoming the oakland raiders of mlb

As long as Ari is running the organization, I'm all for it.

I find it interesting that many of these guys are Mets fans. I remember E having a line where he dissed the Mets, turns out he is a fan. I hate the dude as an actor and find E to be one of the most annoying characters on TV, but hey he is a fellow Met fan, so he is cool I guess.

E sucks on the show. But it is cool that all these guys are Mets fans.

Don't worry. He's got this.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post

Damn! I thought Turtle and Johnny Drama got a loan from Vince to buy shares.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    GREAT RESPONSE !!!