Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dustin Penner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    I agree with pretty much everything your saying, but I do believe Barker's value isnt nothing and could be a top 4. He did very well in Chicago, but when traded here to a losing team he of course will see a numbers drop. On top of that for Golig, he was on the Penguins when Crosby was on a streak and numbers are inflated for being on that team imo. The only other thing I would disagree on would be I think some teams will be willing to take on Backstrom. One team that strikes out at me is TB, they have terrible goaltending besides Roll and face it he is 41. They have lots of cap room, and young assets. I think a deal where we get there late 1st round this year and maybe a B quality forward prospect and I would say good deal. Also young teams like the Oilers would maybe be interested. Lots of Cap room, want to win and could use a goalie to bring them from the basement back to recognition while they breed a goalie for the future, because lets face it especially with them loosing Penner they will have a 25+mil payroll going into a very weak off season FA market. I would not be shocked if they tried something
    Problem with TB is they have to resign Stamkos which is going to be a ton of money and EDM is quite a few years away.
    ]”Goaltending is a normal job, sure. How would you like it in your job if every time you made a small mistake, a red light went on over your desk and 15,000 people stood up and yelled at you.”

vCash
    They have 15mil of space without Stamkos, lets say he gets a 8-9mil a year, that leaves them with 6-7mil+the increase in space (im betting around 3mil) than there expiring. They have room...I know EDM is a few years away theyre just an example of a young team that is missing a goalie that could bring them to the next step.

vCash
    Yeah but they have a lot of guys to resign as well. Gagne, Purcell, Bergenhiem, Hall, Brewer, Smaby, Lundin, Roloson, and Smith
    ]”Goaltending is a normal job, sure. How would you like it in your job if every time you made a small mistake, a red light went on over your desk and 15,000 people stood up and yelled at you.”

vCash
    I dont think they re sign Gagne, thats just me but I dont think they do...All the other you listed I dont see getting any more than they are already under contract for besides maybe Purcell, Smaby....I also dont think they keep Smith. They will have the room and need. But another team example could be Col, Tor could use someone for one of their goalies like Reimer to learn behind for a couple years Im sure I could think of a couple more just not at the moment. My point is he has valuable and is trade able and we have no need for him imo

vCash
    Even if he is tradable we would never move him. Giving up Backstrom would upset the lockerroom and send a message of rebuild.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighter97 View Post
    Even if he is tradable we would never move him. Giving up Backstrom would upset the lockerroom and send a message of rebuild.
    well we need to send some message...are we rebuilding, or are we going to make some moves to compete with our current roster? we cant just stay on the bottom middle part of the league forever.

vCash
    I dont think it sends a message of rebuild. Theodore has shown he can play, Harding will be back to backup for a few years, we have good prospects for goaltending so lets just roll the dice and let it play out. Plus Bernier might be on the block at the drat from LA especially if they dont get to/deep in the playoffs, we could always make a move for him. But I cant agree more its better to send some message than no message at all and stay in the bottom middle of the west.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleJesus View Post
    well we need to send some message...are we rebuilding, or are we going to make some moves to compete with our current roster? we cant just stay on the bottom middle part of the league forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    I dont think it sends a message of rebuild. Theodore has shown he can play, Harding will be back to backup for a few years, we have good prospects for goaltending so lets just roll the dice and let it play out. Plus Bernier might be on the block at the drat from LA especially if they dont get to/deep in the playoffs, we could always make a move for him. But I cant agree more its better to send some message than no message at all and stay in the bottom middle of the west.
    The thing is i agree with you YES a message does need to be sent, but the problem is that message just flat out won't be a rebuild. Craig Leopold wants to win. He wants to be in the playoffs, and wants a huge, sellout fanbase. That is why he left Nashville. This off-season will be one to remember as a Wild fan because this season should have been more successful. We are a team full of veterans and we fell apart at the end because frankly skill wise we are one of the least talented teams in the league. The games we win, are won with heart, hard work, and chemistry. That's all great when it's working, but when your team is so burnt out at season's end they are getting shutout left and right something needs to be done. Moves will be made I guarantee that. Hopefully it isn't something ridiculous like moving Burns, but i think Barker, Zanon, Zidlicky, Cullen, Schultz, Nystrom and probably Clutterbuck will be at least shopped. I think minimum two of those guys will be dealt. This team needs to get younger and more skilled. Todd Richards was brought in to change the face of this franchise. We were supposed to break out of the Jacques Lemaire trap, defensive system and we are right back to it. This team again is relying on goaltending and defense to win because we refuse to accept that the golden years of 2003 are gone. This is a new NHL and the style of the Wild can no longer be a sit back, weather the storm, and wait to capitalize on a mistake. We can't afford to never be the aggressor. We need to move on.

vCash
    ^^^if we traded the mentioned players above...that would be a rebuild. And I would be all for it (except maybe Clutterbuck). Out of all the sports in minnesota...hockey deserves to be better. Hell, hockey even deserves to be elite...and should be elite. Out of all the professional sports teams in this state, hockey has the most benefits....we have a strong and loyal fan base, we have a rich history of hockey in this state, we have minnesota grown kids everywhere in the league...its just sickening to me, that this team has been stuck in mediocrity (minus one overachieved season) since its inception. And I am a little worried that we may have lost part of our window to set up one of the most envious franchises in the NHL...we had a sell out streak that never appeared to be in danger, we had one of the games top young players (Gaborik), we had an article written in sports illustrated as to why "the state of hockey" was dethroning "hockey town...." and now all this is gone due to mediocrity (i understand the gaborik situation, but i'm trying to make a point).

we just seemed to have so much momentum after our first couple years, now that momentum is nose diving.

vCash
    ^^^Agreed and out of all those players I really hope we dont shop Clutterbuck. There are few that should be out right safe on our roster and we do need to become younger and more skilled im not saying we need to blow up and become a full blown rebuild but we have seen teams before trade away key players, get some assets and back the next year or two fighting with younger players. Thats what we need to do not this keep signing veterans and hope it pans out.

vCash
    I only say Clutterbuck is because he has a lot of value.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12