Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dustin Penner

vCash

vCash
    Seems like this lost a lot of potential. It sounded like we were pushing hard for him, but i think EDM price is too high. They will for sure want a first+ solid prospect.
    ]”Goaltending is a normal job, sure. How would you like it in your job if every time you made a small mistake, a red light went on over your desk and 15,000 people stood up and yelled at you.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighter97 View Post
    Seems like this lost a lot of potential. It sounded like we were pushing hard for him, but i think EDM price is too high. They will for sure want a first+ solid prospect.
    First we dont have any solid prospects to give...so maybe thats why. And sorry im still going to preach rebuild through the draft. There is no reason to trade for him he doesnt put us much closer to the cup at all and takes away from the future. What bugs me is still this Neal/Golig deal between the stars and penguins. Your telling me Barker would not have been good enough to net Neal?!?

vCash
    man do i like penner, but im glad we werent willing to give up a first...lack of depth from prospects is really hampering us right now...that was doug risborouaouigjh's fault, fletcher is cleaning up that mess.

vCash
    Penner for a 1st and a prospect I would not do...Boyes for a 2nd I would have done though

vCash
    I would have traded bruno, we could have at least got a solid player in return and maybe a pick. Disappointed that we didnt make a move to at least improve our roster. NO PLAYOFFS THIS YEAR

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    Penner for a 1st and a prospect I would not do...Boyes for a 2nd I would have done though
    That really doesn't make any sense. Boyes is more expensive and a worse player. There is a reason he only went for a 2nd. His contract is terrible and he has been seriously regressing with his goal scoring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild101 View Post
    I would have traded bruno, we could have at least got a solid player in return and maybe a pick. Disappointed that we didnt make a move to at least improve our roster. NO PLAYOFFS THIS YEAR
    Not trading Brunette was smart because the most we could have hoped for was a 2nd and a decent prospect or a late first. With the tightness of the standings Brunette would not have gotten an NHL player in return from a contender. Also i don't know how you can say the playoffs are out. This team has been on fire since the all-star break, and has only been hurt by injuries. The potential of Koivu coming back soon and getting a 25 goal scorer in Latendresse back really pushes this team ahead of a lot of the tweener teams in the west.
    ]”Goaltending is a normal job, sure. How would you like it in your job if every time you made a small mistake, a red light went on over your desk and 15,000 people stood up and yelled at you.”

vCash
    Have you seen the last two games? We got killed by the hawks, lost to the the islanders, and are about to lose to the Rangers..... No way we make the playoffs!

vCash
    So we lost to the defending Stanley Cup champs without our best player and our best goal scorer? Same thing goes for the Islanders, obviously we had a much better chance against them and probably still should've won, but still to give up on this team is non sense. We have the roster to make the playoffs, but injuries have killed us. I don't think we are done yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild101 View Post
    Have you seen the last two games? We got killed by the hawks, lost to the the islanders, and are about to lose to the Rangers..... No way we make the playoffs!
    we actually beat the rangers, and people as negitive as you should not be a wild fan, we dont need your kind. hows that glass half empty doing for you?
    \

vCash
    I cannot speak for him but I dont think we are negative, we just would like to see the team go in a different direction. I dont wanna see us sign any veterans in the off season, I would like to see us make moves at the draft by maybe trading people like Z, Backstrom, maybe Cullen. We have too much salary in our D and in a select few players, and we have no class A prospects besides Granlund. I would have liked to or still see us get another top 10 pick, because after the top 10 scouts say talent really drops off and really any player after the top 10 can go anywhere in the first round. Being able to get a player like Strome or Huberdeau and than later in the first picking someone like Puempel or Namestnikov would be very nice as we already have decent D prospects in Cuma, Scandella and Spurgeon but our best forward prospect is who Cody Almond?

vCash
    I cannot speak for him but I dont think we are negative, we just would like to see the team go in a different direction. I dont wanna see us sign any veterans in the off season, I would like to see us make moves at the draft by maybe trading people like Z, Backstrom, maybe Cullen. We have too much salary in our D and in a select few players, and we have no class A prospects besides Granlund. I would have liked to or still see us get another top 10 pick, because after the top 10 scouts say talent really drops off and really any player after the top 10 can go anywhere in the first round. Being able to get a player like Strome or Huberdeau and than later in the first picking someone like Puempel or Namestnikov would be very nice as we already have decent D prospects in Cuma, Scandella and Spurgeon but our best forward prospect is who Cody Almond?
    I totally understand where you are coming from. Problem is guys like Zidlicky, Backstrom, and Cullen don't have a ton of trade value. We aren't going to get in return what we gave up to get them. Also Fletcher has come out and said he wants this team to make the playoffs. He doesn't want to rebuild. I will agree we have way too much money tied up in our D. Schultz is overpaid, Burns is going to get a huge raise, Zidlicky is overpaid, and Zanon is overpaid, along with obviously Barker. Hopefully Fletcher can start chipping away at some of our horrible contracts. The biggest problem this franchise has had is poor money management. We have a lot of terrible contracts and that comes from years of DR. Our next biggest problem is obviously our prospects, but we have seen Fletcher is a good drafter and in just 2 drafts we have drastically improved our pool of players.

vCash
    I totally understand where you are coming from. Problem is guys like Zidlicky, Backstrom, and Cullen don't have a ton of trade value. We aren't going to get in return what we gave up to get them. Also Fletcher has come out and said he wants this team to make the playoffs. He doesn't want to rebuild. I will agree we have way too much money tied up in our D. Schultz is overpaid, Burns is going to get a huge raise, Zidlicky is overpaid, and Zanon is overpaid, along with obviously Barker. Hopefully Fletcher can start chipping away at some of our horrible contracts. The biggest problem this franchise has had is poor money management. We have a lot of terrible contracts and that comes from years of DR. Our next biggest problem is obviously our prospects, but we have seen Fletcher is a good drafter and in just 2 drafts we have drastically improved our pool of players.
    Agreed but in my mind our off season should go like this. Trade Z or Barker, if Barker (obviously) is going to get us more value than we trade him. No reason we couldnt do a Neal/Golig deal where we get a young forward what we need most for them. They are both puck moving D and we would still have Burns and Cullen to run the point on PP. Zanon is overpaid but I really like him, he gives his all. Backstrom we dont need imo, lets keep Jose at a reduce rate and Harding and have a 2 goalie rotation like some teams do. Both together would be cheaper than Backstrom, and Backstrom will give us pretty good value back. Itll be interesting to see what happens with Sheppard, but if he can come back and play I think PMB should be gone especially since he is earning value on the market back. If not we can do a Lattendress like deal with Sheppard and trade him for someone else that isnt doing well in their environment and see if the switch helps. Cullen can go, he is way overpaid for me sorry. Schultz does make a lot but I dont see him going anywhere.

As far as drafting goes jury still out for me on Fletcher sorry, drafting Leddy was still a huge mistake imo and than you trade him on top of that...We'll see what he does this year.

vCash
    Agreed but in my mind our off season should go like this. Trade Z or Barker, if Barker (obviously) is going to get us more value than we trade him. No reason we couldnt do a Neal/Golig deal where we get a young forward what we need most for them. They are both puck moving D and we would still have Burns and Cullen to run the point on PP. Zanon is overpaid but I really like him, he gives his all. Backstrom we dont need imo, lets keep Jose at a reduce rate and Harding and have a 2 goalie rotation like some teams do. Both together would be cheaper than Backstrom, and Backstrom will give us pretty good value back. Itll be interesting to see what happens with Sheppard, but if he can come back and play I think PMB should be gone especially since he is earning value on the market back. If not we can do a Lattendress like deal with Sheppard and trade him for someone else that isnt doing well in their environment and see if the switch helps. Cullen can go, he is way overpaid for me sorry. Schultz does make a lot but I dont see him going anywhere.

As far as drafting goes jury still out for me on Fletcher sorry, drafting Leddy was still a huge mistake imo and than you trade him on top of that...We'll see what he does this year.
    Honestly i would love it if Barker could get us a deal like Goligoski did but thats not happening. Goligoski had 9-22-31 and +20 at the time of the trade. He is a legit top-4 D. Barker has 1-4-5 and -11. Barkers trade value is really low. He is essentially a 6/7 D with a big shot. If we could somehow trade Backstrom i would be all for it, but in todays NHL goalies aren't being paid a premium price and Backs has 2 more years after this season at 6 mil. No one can afford or would take that contract at his age. In all honesty Sheppard will either sign a 2-way deal and be in the AHL next season or he'll be looking for a job. The kid blew his last chance this year getting hurt in a stupid ATV accident. I love Shepp, i want to see him succeed, but it doesn't look good for him. Cullen is a similar situation to Backs. He is way overpaid and old. Eric Belanger is putting up the same numbers as Cullen in PHX and is making 850,000. Cullen's contract hampers our ability to move him. Its really unfortunate but with almost all of these under preforming, older players we have no choice but to wait out their contracts. Most likely one of Brunette or Miettnen and Kobasew will be gone next year. I see us definitely moving a D. Most likely Zidlicky or Zanon at the draft. Then again a weak FA class is going to make it really tough to lose those players. Granted they are overpaid, but finding guy to replace Brunette, Miettnen, Zidlicky isn't going to be easy and is going to take an overpayment whether via FA or trade.
    Last edited by foofighter97; 03-08-2011 at 04:12 PM.

vCash
    Honestly i would love it if Barker could get us a deal like Goligoski did but thats not happening. Goligoski had 9-22-31 and +20 at the time of the trade. He is a legit top-4 D. Barker has 1-4-5 and -11. Barkers trade value is really low. He is essentially a 6/7 D with a big shot. If we could somehow trade Backstrom i would be all for it, but in todays NHL goalies aren't being paid a premium price and Backs has 2 more years after this season at 6 mil. No one can afford or would take that contract at his age. In all honesty Sheppard will either sign a 2-way deal and be in the AHL next season or he'll be looking for a job. The kid blew his last chance this year getting hurt in a stupid ATV accident. I love Shepp, i want to see him succeed, but it doesn't look good for him. Cullen is a similar situation to Backs. He is way overpaid and old. Eric Belanger is putting up the same numbers as Cullen in PHX and is making 850,000. Cullen's contract hampers our ability to move him. Its really unfortunate but with almost all of these under preforming, older players we have no choice but to wait out their contracts. Most likely one of Brunette or Miettnen and Kobasew will be gone next year. I see us definitely moving a D. Most likely Zidlicky or Zanon at the draft. Then again a weak FA class is going to make it really tough to lose those players. Granted they are overpaid, but finding guy to replace Brunette, Miettnen, Zidlicky isn't going to be easy and is going to take an overpayment whether via FA or trade.
    I agree with pretty much everything your saying, but I do believe Barker's value isnt nothing and could be a top 4. He did very well in Chicago, but when traded here to a losing team he of course will see a numbers drop. On top of that for Golig, he was on the Penguins when Crosby was on a streak and numbers are inflated for being on that team imo. The only other thing I would disagree on would be I think some teams will be willing to take on Backstrom. One team that strikes out at me is TB, they have terrible goaltending besides Roll and face it he is 41. They have lots of cap room, and young assets. I think a deal where we get there late 1st round this year and maybe a B quality forward prospect and I would say good deal. Also young teams like the Oilers would maybe be interested. Lots of Cap room, want to win and could use a goalie to bring them from the basement back to recognition while they breed a goalie for the future, because lets face it especially with them loosing Penner they will have a 25+mil payroll going into a very weak off season FA market. I would not be shocked if they tried something

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast