Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 36 of 36
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,174
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I believe it is referred to as "Passive Income", correct?
    passive or unearned depending on the situation, and I am so red faced over typing the word no for the word know.
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Louisville, Colorado
    Posts
    23,109
    vCash
    1500
    If you think taxing the rich is effective I'd read or skim this report by someone at Cato. It's pretty solid work. It changed my opinion. http://www.cato.org/speeches/reynolds_FMF092608.pdf

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    65,319
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by avrpatsfan View Post
    If you think taxing the rich is effective I'd read or skim this report by someone at Cato. It's pretty solid work. It changed my opinion. http://www.cato.org/speeches/reynolds_FMF092608.pdf
    I dont speak for everyone, and i will give that a read later, but my only advocacy for that policy is that currently with our debt/deficit situation our taxes are artificially low.

    A $14.3T debt is just not going to get paid off with tax cuts, it factually doesnt add up. Less receipts equals greater debt and deficit. Those are facts.

    If there are legitimate cuts, and just for the record the Planned Parenthood and subsidies for poor people to get heating are not legitimate cuts because they are percentages of percentages of the debt/deficit. Subsidies to oil and farmers are more serious but still only pennies on the dollar. Costs like Iraq and Afghanistan start to mount into legitimate cuts.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    25,683
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    I don't no if you missed my point or ignored my point. The fact is that people of significant wealth do not make most of their income from earned income (technical term) and therefore are actually taxed at a lower rate than most middle class people who do get most of their income from earned income.

    Here in the United States, unearned income is not subject to payroll tax, many times is not realized (technical term) and therefore is not subject to any tax. Beyond that, one must have substantial worth to take advantage of most of the better tax avoidance strategies.

    It is not what people can or cannot do in terms of investing, it is just a simple fact that people at the top are actually taxed at a lower rate because their "income" is not subject to marginal tax rates.

    Well on short term capital gains they are taxed at the same rate and on long term capital gains I agree its less but thats less direct income imo more like a long term investment like long term real estate, its not the same thing. And the lower brackets pay 0% on their capital gains long term. The rich are not making the majority of their income off long term capital gains or even close.



    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital..._United_States

    Help me understand what Im confusing here

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,174
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jrice9 View Post
    Well on short term capital gains they are taxed at the same rate and on long term capital gains I agree its less but thats less direct income imo more like a long term investment like long term real estate, its not the same thing. And the lower brackets pay 0% on their capital gains long term. The rich are not making the majority of their income off long term capital gains or even close.



    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital..._United_States

    Help me understand what Im confusing here
    The lower brackets tend not to have any taxable gains, so, a low bracket is immaterial, but more importantly, my long experience in financial services says that you are wrong, but, my experience is anecdotal, while your statement about where the are making the majority of their wealth is even less supported. This is not about income as defined by the IRC, it is about overall gain in wealth not being taxed fairly.
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    6,069
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by avrpatsfan View Post
    If you think taxing the rich is effective I'd read or skim this report by someone at Cato. It's pretty solid work. It changed my opinion. http://www.cato.org/speeches/reynolds_FMF092608.pdf
    If you think cutting taxes on the rich is effective, I suggest you review the Bush years and see how our deficits did. Trickle down, the theory supported by the Koch-funded Cato Institute, has been demonstrated to be a fraud by our trying it out for a decade. It did not work. It drove up our deficit and our debt while slashing our tax revenues.
    Labgrownmangoat has been feeling stabby as **** lately and is taking a few days off to rest, relax, and recharge. That means drinking, sexual triathlons, and a drug buffet. Oh, and maybe a hike or two on some godforsaken mountain. And forgetting for a while about border ****ery, Russia's ****ery, and the GOP's ****ery, as well as avoiding the cackling whores who will be joyously celebrating the possible gutting of the Affordable Care Act. -- paraphrase of Rude Pundit

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •