Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pac-12 and Big 10 Enter a Scheduling Agreement

BREAKING: Pac-12 and Big Ten enter scheduling agreement. All 12 teams playing an inter-league football game starting 2017.
    https://twitter.com/#!/petethamelnyt...86763844800512

The Pac-12 and Big Ten have agreed to a long-term interconference scheduling "collaboration" that, if successful, could have far-reaching ramifications for both of their memberships.

Likely beginning as early as next year, the Pac-12 and Big Ten are going to significantly reconfigure their future football, basketball and Olympic sports schedules to feature games between their combined 24 member schools.

The conferences will announce their plans later Wednesday.

The cleverly constructed "collaborative effort" provides the Pac-12 and the Big Ten with some of the benefits of expansion without the messiness of exit fees, litigation and the loss of historical rivalries. And from a strategic standpoint, the arrangement could broaden the geographical, television and brand reach of both conferences.

"Rather than go down the road of just trying to add members, we thought this was a way to keep who we were and an increase value for everybody," Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany told ESPN.com's Gene Wojciechowski. "It doesn't mean you can't expand one day. It seems to us this is an intelligent way to get stronger and do so with zero collateral damage."

Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott told ESPN.com that "it's a flexible approach to achieving some of the benefits of expansion without dealing with some of the other structural issues."

Details remain fluid, but the probable first phase of the partnership would include increased Pac-12 vs. Big Ten games in men's and women's basketball, as well as in Olympic sports. Those changes will begin in the 2012-2013 academic year.

"Part of building our brand is getting our brand around to different places in the country," Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon said Wednesday. "The fact that this is an agreement that will connect a number of different sports, not just football, not just men's basketball, but many, many of our other Olympic sports and team sports, it's a great opportunity for us to travel and us to take our teams and our coaches and our brand to other parts of the country (where) ordinarily we wouldn't be appearing a lot. So I think that's significant."

The scheduling transition in football will be slower because of existing non-conference contract commitments. But by the 2017 season, the two conferences are expected to have a full, 12-game Pac-12/Big Ten schedule in place, meaning each Pac-12 team will play a separate Big Ten program on an annual basis.

"We've obviously explored the possibility of going beyond 12 (teams)," Scott said. "I've been a believer, philosophically, of that if it made sense. Now I don't see us expanding anytime in the foreseeable future. A lot of what we can do through collaborating with the Big Ten will help us accomplish some of the same things."
    http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...ng-partnership

I'm excited as hell for this.

Nebraska already seems to play at least one Pac 12 team per year, but I'd love to see them come play in Tucson someday!

Great move from these two conferences. I like it a lot...great for those two conferences future too.,
    this my sig

The "Take Down the SEC" plan.

Awesome move by both conferences, it's going to be great for many sports. This also helps Oregon get a quality out of conference opponent to come to Autzen, it has turned into a struggle recently. Michigan in 2003 was the coolest non-conference game I've been to, and I can't wait till they come back!
    Last edited by BradyIsTheMan12; 12-28-2011 at 10:21 PM.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Quote Originally Posted by bradyistheman12 View Post
    Awesome move by both conferences, it's going to be great for many sports. This also helps Oregon get a quality out of conference opponent to come to Autzen, it has became a struggle recently. Michigan in 2003 was the coolest non-conference game I've been to, and can't wait till they come back!
    Yeah, 2007 in the Big House was pretty fun too

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=272510130

Quote Originally Posted by haggis View Post
    Yeah, 2007 in the Big House was pretty fun too

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=272510130
    That was unbelievable, I thought we were going to get smacked in that game. It's a shame that there were so many injuries that season, we had a special team that may have won it all.

Remember the Duck hammer as well? So dope
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Quote Originally Posted by bradyistheman12 View Post
    That was unbelievable, I thought we were going to get smacked in that game. It's a shame that there were so many injuries that season, we had a special team that may have won it all.

Remember the Duck hammer as well? So dope
    I was in the Michigan student section for that game with a bunch of buddies from High School who went to UM. It was a shame that App St. knocked them off the week before, it kinda took the sting out of it for Michigan. Still one of the best experiences of my life watching the Ducks stomp Michigan in an empty Big House by the 2nd half.

The Duck Hammer needs to be brought back. That **** was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    The "Take Down the SEC" plan.
    Probably means the SEC and ACC will eventually partner up and have the SEC beat up on the ACC a little more.
    "Hitting is better than sex." Reggie Jackson

“The only reason I don't like playing in the World Series is I can't watch myself play." Reggie Jackson

This can only help both conferences. I hope it works like the Big 10/ACC challenge where they determine the matchups toget teams of like ability and expectations playing. Illinois already has a contract with ASU and Washington but I would love to see some other stadiums in the PAC 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. October View Post
    Probably means the SEC and ACC will eventually partner up and have the SEC beat up on the ACC a little more.
    We already have Georgia-Georgia Tech, Florida-Florida State, Clemson-South Carolina, etc. I'd much rather see the SEC play Big 12, Big Ten, or Pac 12 teams in non-conference games. The ACC is pretty weak when it comes to football.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. October View Post
    Clemson doesn't need any help. We schedule SCAR every year (obviously), have Auburn next year, Georgia in 2013 and 2014, and Ole Miss in 2015 and 2016.

Clemson doesn't need any help. We schedule SCAR every year (obviously), have Auburn next year, Georgia in 2013 and 2014, and Ole Miss in 2015 and 2016.
    Clemson is one of those teams I'd love to see come West once in a while, can't remember them ever playing any Pac 10/12 teams.

Quote Originally Posted by desertrat218 View Post
    We already have Georgia-Georgia Tech, Florida-Florida State, Clemson-South Carolina, etc. I'd much rather see the SEC play Big 12, Big Ten, or Pac 12 teams in non-conference games. The ACC is pretty weak when it comes to football.
    That's why I could see a partnership to include the rest of the teams since both will eventually be at 14 teams.

I never said Clemson needed help. I just think the ACC and SEC will most likely add more annual games along with Clem/USC, GT/UGA, and FSU/UF. These games wouldn't be added for 10 years if they were to occur. The Big10/Pac 12 games won't start until 2017 at the earliest.

I personally would love to see VT play UT since they are so close to each other and haven't played regularly.

They could do it like the Big 10-ACC challenge, while keeping the rivalries that already exist.
    "Hitting is better than sex." Reggie Jackson

“The only reason I don't like playing in the World Series is I can't watch myself play." Reggie Jackson

Niice. OSU plays a Pac-12 team every year pretty much already, but this is going to be cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast