Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Wild Card One-Game Playoff Plan

Under the proposed expansion, a second wild-card team would be added in each league. The wild-card teams in each league would meet in a one-game playoff to determine which team advances to meet the division winner with the best record.

“You don’t want to be in that one-game playoff,” Yankees manager Joe Girardi said yesterday in Tampa. “Your motivation is to win the division.

“I like [the proposed format]. It gives more of an advantage to the division winners, which I think they deserve.’’

Across Florida in Port St. Lucie, David Wright said he wished the imminent change had come about sooner.

“It would have been nice five years ago, but I think it will be good for the game,” said the Mets third baseman, alluding to his team’s historic 2007 fade in which it went from seven games ahead in the NL East with 17 games to play only to miss the playoffs completely.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/...#ixzz1nxvoDF1M

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/...gWNH1m7rtJZagN

I didn't see a thread for this, so please excuse if I missed it. I know it's sort of old news but the Post article made me think there should be a thread for it.

The reasoning from Wright and the Mets' perspective is obvious, but it's true. This makes enough sense that it's amazing they didn't implement it sooner, or, even better, when they added the Wild Card spot in the first place.
    Last edited by WhiteWolf; 03-02-2012 at 08:32 AM.

we have an outside shot at the playoffs now

It's a good change for the game.

Allows another team to get a shot, and strengthens the value of being a division winner.

Don't worry. He's got this.

wouldn't we have made the playoffs in 08 too? Or maybe I seem to remember the Brewers being ahead of us?

I like the idea of an extra team but I don't like just a one game deal. Too much can turn on a lucky break of a bad call.

They should have a best of three, then best of five in the next round, then finally best of seven. Or best of three then two best of sevens.

I love the idea of one game, it just give that 1 game such a huge importance and the fact that anything can decide the outcome will make that much entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I love the idea of one game, it just give that 1 game such a huge importance and the fact that anything can decide the outcome will make that much entertaining.
    I don't agree with that at all. I'd hate to see a good team go down on some lucky break. At least if you have to win two, there is some kind of chance to recover.

One and out is one thing I do not like about the NFL playoffs. Even the Super Bowl.

The 2 WC winners will likely have similar records, 1 game is good enough to decide their fate.

If it was a WC winner and a division winner then I would be opposed.

If not for the original wild card the Mets would have just made it to the post season one time since '88. Now if we can't make it to the playoffs it's going to be even more difficult to stomach.

Here’s my idea for the ideal schedule.

There are 26 week in the months from April - September.
    For 25 of those weeks, teams play seven games a week. A 3 game series Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, and the weekend series of Friday, Saturday and a Sunday doubleheader. Allow for a roster expansion or 2-3 players for Sunday, charge a higher admission for the doubleheader (1 1/2 the price of a regular ticket.) Every Monday is an off day for travel or just a day off during homestands. It also leaves days open for rainouts. That would leave approx 175 days for 162 games so you could sprinkle a few other off days/travel days into the schedule.

The All Star is a full week off, no one can beg unless clearly injured. Even players participating in the AS game would get 3-4 days off for a little vacation.

The entire month of October is left for playoffs and the World Series.

Fans would like it and the players probably wouldn’t mind. Just need to owners to give us some admissions. Probably never happen.

i like this idea. people have been arguing that the wild card series should be a 2-1-2 series to make it harder on the non divisional winners. however, they were never going to take a home game away from the wild card team for revenue reasons. this move not only creates even more revenue, but it also helps weaken the wild card team's chances in the 5 game series. it gives more incentive to win your division outright, to avoid a one game elimination, and it also screws up the wild card team's starting rotation.

I don't think it's too unfair for a WC team's fate to be decided by 1 game.

If you want more security than 1 game, win your division. If you win your division, you earn a full series to determine your fate.

As far as my own ideas for improving the baseball season, I'd shorten it back to 154 games. I know MLB won't do that, but I think it would improve attendance throughout the season - especially in July and August. And it would make the regular season much more competitive.

Don't worry. He's got this.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    I don't think it's too unfair for a WC team's fate to be decided by 1 game.

If you want more security than 1 game, win your division. If you win your division, you earn a full series to determine your fate.

As far as my own ideas for improving the baseball season, I'd shorten it back to 154 games. I know MLB won't do that, but I think it would improve attendance throughout the season - especially in July and August. And it would make the regular season much more competitive.
    I agree. This should stop teams in the future from not going after the division title. The Yankees in 2010 admitted they gave up and were a main reason for MLB reformatting the post season.
    “I’m not taking away from Tampa Bay, but we didn’t try to win the division,” Cashman told reporters at the Yankees' spring facility in Tampa, Fla. “We tried to line ourselves up for the playoffs and that worked. “The division title was rendered meaningless the way the set-up was. It really meant nothing more than a T-shirt and a hat.”
    The new format should help to create better competition and a desire for the better tee shirt and hat.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    Sooner or later, we'll be just like the basketball and hockey system....

I like it the way it is now.

I Love NY Mets Baseball!!!!

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73...SB 50 Super Bowl Champions...
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87

uapeople you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

I understand it, have to give some merit to the division winners.

There was really no incentive to win the division before besides getting the one extra home game.

The only thing i would do is instead of making it a 1 game series is i would make it a 3 game series so that the chances of an 84 win team beating a 95 win team are less likely.

Any professional team can win one game no matter what the disparity is.
    Last edited by metswon69; 03-06-2012 at 01:08 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast