Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Any chance Pelfrey might not make the squad?

Obviously this guy has had question marks all along, lately its been down hill. I've always thought he could bounce back and be a good 3/4 guy in the rotation. However, obviously its early in spring training but he's not off to the best of starts.

I wonder if he has a pretty crappy spring do you think there's any chance he won't make the squad and start the year at triple A? I know he got a pretty nice contract this winter, but we do have some guys out there with some more upside and who might impress this spring.

Zero chance. Also, what was the bad start he got off to? I'm pretty sure he had two scoreless innings in his first and only start.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Zero chance. Also, what was the bad start he got off to? I'm pretty sure he had two scoreless innings in his first and only start.
    Zero chance is right. He gave up 4 runs in 2-2/3 innings today. One of which was on a wind blown solo HR. He started shaky, but settled in.

Yeah, because the staff is so deep there are others who can take his place.

Ok, dream over.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Yeah, because the staff is so deep there are others who can take his place.

Ok, dream over.
    What? They have Miguel Bastista, Chris Schwinden, Chuck James, and maybe Bobby Parnell can give starting another try. They are sick crazy deep at starting pitching.

What FoC said.

And I really don't think he's a bad pitcher, per se. He always seems to bounce back with stretches of brilliance, it's just that when he loses it he loses it for weeks at a time.

Mid-season form.. it early yet, Im really expecting Big Pelf to turn his season around.. we're still talking bowling right?
    " You seek Yoda!

It's the beginning of Spring Training, for crying out loud. Even a mediocre Pelfrey (is that redundant?) will eat 200 innings and produce about a .500 record.
    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

If the Mets ever want to get Wright/Bay out of their prolonged slump, they should have them play a split squad game versus Pelfrey...Any time that the Marlins made contact, the sound of the bat hitting the ball was extremely crisp and even the grounders were rockets...For a guy that throws in the 90's with a supposedly good sinking fastball, the guy can not put batters away (consistently averages about 5 K's per 9 innings over the course of a season), and the balls just rocket off of the bats when he pitches...

i think i did mention that IF he goes through the rest of the spring not doing so well if there was a chance. I mean I've heard some names being thrown around and we have some backups/young guys around spring training who might impress this spring 2.

I don't see a young guy eating that many innings, at least not in the 21st century.
    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Here are the options

Chris Schwinden
    Miguel Batista
    Jeremy Hefner

Chills down my spine!

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Here are the options

Chris Schwinden
    Miguel Batista
    Jeremy Hefner
    Now you're just frightening the children.
    " You seek Yoda!

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Here are the options

Chris Schwinden
    Miguel Batista
    Jeremy Hefner
    and that's what happens when you sign Type A & B Free Agents every off-season to supplant a team that had no minor league system to begin with when the GM takes over...and then on top of that, you waste what few top draft picks you do have on NCAA relief pitchers...I don't know which one shot the Mets in the foot more, Rick Peterson or Omar for taking Peterson's advice when holding a draft...I'm not a fan of drafting NCAA pitchers unless they are elite (Verlander types)...I'd much rather draft a high school pitcher and then train them at a controlled pace in the minors (like a Jonathon Niese) to try to eliminate how NCAA teams typically overwork their pitchers...
    Last edited by vtmet; 03-08-2012 at 06:52 PM.

You draft both types. HS guys have lesser chance of making it to the majors than college guys.

...and yes signing type A guys hurt, not type B, but again there are guys that fall to the 2nd round or later that are high upside guys and you should take a chance on those guys, but the Mets were never willing to pay up the money these kids were seeking.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast