Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    30,258
    vCash
    1500
    This is the same MLB that uses sex (bikini girls) to sell alcohol (Bud Light ads) in between innings right?

    For a boring sport they are REALLY over-regulated. Steroids and HGH should be mandatory in that league.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    19,671
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by b1e9a8r5s View Post
    How much of our tax revenues would go away if people actually listened?
    I could care less. The point is the hypocrisy of our whole system. I won't shed a tear for companies who make money off killing people, and the tax revenue resulting from these businesses.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The Land Beyond the Wall, VT
    Posts
    7,073
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I dont know if it matters, but the majority of their voters probably do want them to do this, so if that weighs in then they are doing the will of their constituents.

    I agree with you there are much bigger issues, but i dont think it is fair to say they arent representing us when none of us (that i know if) are actually their constituents. There are some Chicago fans here so i will assume they are Durbin's constituents but other than that i dont know.
    I respectfully disagree. I think the tobacco health issue is blindingly obvious, and we don't need more tobacco awareness. We need the other more important stuff, like security, jobs, and a growing economy.

    I'm not directing this at you at all. I just think there are so many much more important things they need to be doing with their time that this to me seems absurd.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    39,988
    vCash
    1500
    Go poll 1000 people, if you can find five people who are legally allowed to purchase Tobacco say it's not harmful to use, I'll buy you lunch at PF Changs.

    Heck poll 1000 14-18 year olds and if you can find 10 i'll buy you lunch at PF changs.

  5. 02-16-2011, 03:30 PM
    Reason
    double post

  6. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The Land Beyond the Wall, VT
    Posts
    7,073
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    Go poll 1000 people, if you can find five people who are legally allowed to purchase Tobacco say it's not harmful to use, I'll buy you lunch at PF Changs.

    Heck poll 1000 14-18 year olds and if you can find 10 i'll buy you lunch at PF changs.
    hmmm. I have never eaten at PF Changs...

  7. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    65,096
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    Go poll 1000 people, if you can find five people who are legally allowed to purchase Tobacco say it's not harmful to use, I'll buy you lunch at PF Changs.

    Heck poll 1000 14-18 year olds and if you can find 10 i'll buy you lunch at PF changs.
    Damn, i might take you up on that. The Mongolian Beef is delicious.
    Member of the Owlluminati!


  8. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    39,988
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan56 View Post
    hmmm. I have never eaten at PF Changs...
    It's awesome.

    Fortunately there is none within a 100 miles of me, or I'd eat there all the time, and put all my weight loss back on.

  9. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    30,258
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    Go poll 1000 people, if you can find five people who are legally allowed to purchase Tobacco say it's not harmful to use, I'll buy you lunch at PF Changs.

    Heck poll 1000 14-18 year olds and if you can find 10 i'll buy you lunch at PF changs.
    I don't like the odds in this one.....but the "szechwan from the sea" is pretty tasty.

  10. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    8,343
    vCash
    1500
    Quit wasting our time.


    Oh, and PF Changs is ****ing boss

  11. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    19,671
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    Go poll 1000 people, if you can find five people who are legally allowed to purchase Tobacco say it's not harmful to use, I'll buy you lunch at PF Changs.

    Heck poll 1000 14-18 year olds and if you can find 10 i'll buy you lunch at PF changs.
    PF Chang's aside, I do see your point though. It's up to the consumer, and they know the risks/health implications.

  12. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    39,988
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by The Schmooze View Post
    PF Chang's aside, I do see your point though. It's up to the consumer, and they know the risks/health implications.
    I just think everyone knows the risks, and yet dont' care and still do it. Live and let live, they know the risks if they want to keep doing it let them.

  13. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    65,096
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    I just think everyone knows the risks, and yet dont' care and still do it. Live and let live, they know the risks if they want to keep doing it let them.
    But at what point do we not clearly identify a product that people are not fully using by their own free will and are becoming chemically addicted to and do whatever it takes to eliminate it's use? What makes tobacco acceptable and pot, heroin, etc. unacceptable? Does the government have no role in protecting people from their uses or is there some difference in pot than cigarettes that no one else is aware of? Pot seems to mostly be feared as a "gateway" drug but it seems that cigarettes are much closer to a "gateway" drug than anything. The only difference I can see is that tobacco was a cash crop during this country's founding and absolutely nothing else. Many historians believe that is the #1 reason hemp was illegal along with marijuana and opium because they were seen as "foreign" competition, essentially a tariff against he goods.
    Member of the Owlluminati!


  14. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,010
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    But at what point do we not clearly identify a product that people are not fully using by their own free will and are becoming chemically addicted to and do whatever it takes to eliminate it's use? What makes tobacco acceptable and pot, heroin, etc. unacceptable? Does the government have no role in protecting people from their uses or is there some difference in pot than cigarettes that no one else is aware of? Pot seems to mostly be feared as a "gateway" drug but it seems that cigarettes are much closer to a "gateway" drug than anything. The only difference I can see is that tobacco was a cash crop during this country's founding and absolutely nothing else. Many historians believe that is the #1 reason hemp was illegal along with marijuana and opium because they were seen as "foreign" competition, essentially a tariff against he goods.
    There's no such thing as a "gateway drug." That is all.

  15. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The Land Beyond the Wall, VT
    Posts
    7,073
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    But at what point do we not clearly identify a product that people are not fully using by their own free will and are becoming chemically addicted to and do whatever it takes to eliminate it's use? What makes tobacco acceptable and pot, heroin, etc. unacceptable? Does the government have no role in protecting people from their uses or is there some difference in pot than cigarettes that no one else is aware of? Pot seems to mostly be feared as a "gateway" drug but it seems that cigarettes are much closer to a "gateway" drug than anything. The only difference I can see is that tobacco was a cash crop during this country's founding and absolutely nothing else. Many historians believe that is the #1 reason hemp was illegal along with marijuana and opium because they were seen as "foreign" competition, essentially a tariff against he goods.
    I think people need to tak responsibility for themselves, and what they decide to put in their own bodies. I think the same goes for weed. I don;t see any legally good reason to keep it illegal. People can decide for themselves if it is socially acceptable to use or not. Chrinically addictive substances however pose a much higher risk to the indicidual, and therefore a discussion on whether those things should be legal is justified. I don;t think heroin and ciggarettes belong in the same discussion because they are so different in terms of how addictive they are, and how potentially unsafe one is over the other with just one use.

    That's just me though, and where I personally think the line should be. I would venture far more to the individual accountability side on non chronically addicitive substances than government control or influence.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •