Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Senate Dems want Major League Baseball to kick its tobacco habit

Senate Dems want Major League Baseball to kick its tobacco habit February 15, 2011
    Senate Dems want Major League Baseball to kick its tobacco habit
    Could “chew” soon be banned from the baseball diamond?

Two senior Senate Democrats on Tuesday called on Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig and the players union to outlaw the use of tobacco products on the field, in the dugout and in locker rooms at MLB venues.

In letters to Selig and the MLB Players Association, Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) and Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.) said it’s time the major leagues follow in the footsteps of the minor leagues, which outlawed tobacco nearly 30 years ago.

The senators singled out for praise Washington Nationals ace Steven Strasburg, who went public about his efforts to kick his chewing tobacco habit because of its negative health effects.

“We now know conclusively that smokeless tobacco endangers the health of baseball players who use it, but it also affects millions of young people who watch baseball.” Durbin and Lautenberg wrote. “The use of smokeless tobacco by baseball players undermines the positive image of the sport and sends a dangerous message to young fans, who may be influenced by the players they look up to as role models.”

The senators cited statistics which show tobacco-related products kill 443,000 Americans each year. And each day, 1,000 children in the U.S. become addicted to smoking.

Long a fixture in baseball culture, chewing tobacco has been shown to cause stomach, larynx, esophagus, oral and pancreatic cancers. It’s also been linked to cardiovascular disease, gum disease, tooth decay, and mouth lesions.

Durbin and Lautenberg also write a separate letter to Strasburg, whose struggle with tobacco was recently featured in a front-page story in the Washington Post.

“Your individual decision to quit smokeless tobacco, not only for your health, but to set a positive image for the young people who look up to you and watch baseball, is laudable,” they wrote. “We want to encourage you to stick with it. Baseball fans will notice. Your example could prevent disease and disability and save a few lives.”

http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennt...co_habit_.html

A few things. I dip and I also coach little league (11-12 yr olds). However, I never dip in front of the kids. That being said I think this is a complete waste of time and effort.

vCash
    Jesus. I hope Bud tells them to shove off

I dip when I golf and play softball, I do it on the field and in front of me.

vCash
    Finally!

The most pressing issue in America right now, what multi-millionaires being paid to play a game do with their bodies...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Schmooze View Post
    Finally!

The most pressing issue in America right now, what multi-millionaires being paid to play a game do with their bodies...
    first steroids, now tobacco, next up sugar content in Gatoraid, and salt intake on sunflower seeds.

vCash
    Dear Dick and Frank,

**** off. Now go do your job. The one we are paying you to do on our behalf.

Sincerely,

The Taxpaying Public

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    first steroids, now tobacco, next up sugar content in Gatoraid, and salt intake on sunflower seeds.

I guess it all comes down to my belief that our government is in place to protect millionaires.

vCash
    I would use the phrase "nanny state" if it weren't an already overused and redundant term, so I'l just say that these guys hate freedom. Murricuh!

= N E W | Y O R K =

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan56 View Post
    Dear Dick and Frank,

Sincerely,

The Taxpaying Public
    I dont know if it matters, but the majority of their voters probably do want them to do this, so if that weighs in then they are doing the will of their constituents.

I agree with you there are much bigger issues, but i dont think it is fair to say they arent representing us when none of us (that i know if) are actually their constituents. There are some Chicago fans here so i will assume they are Durbin's constituents but other than that i dont know.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I dont know if it matters, but the majority of their voters probably do want them to do this, so if that weighs in then they are doing the will of their constituents.

I agree with you there are much bigger issues, but i dont think it is fair to say they arent representing us when none of us (that i know if) are actually their constituents. There are some Chicago fans here so i will assume they are Durbin's constituents but other than that i dont know.
    I daresay they are not doing what their constituents want. I daresay most really aren't looking at that as an issue of whether or not they will re-elect them.

vCash
    What are you basing that on?

vCash

I have a hard time believing that a majority of their constituents give a **** if a professional baseball player is dipping on the baseball field. Anyone with even the slightest bit of intelligence knows the harms of chewing tobacco. And if they don't, they can read the huge warning label now on all tobacco products. The fact is is that some people like to dip. It's not for me or the government to decide what environment dipping is acceptable. If Major League Baseball wants to ban chewing tobacco that's a different story.

vCash
    wtf.....I'm sorry isn't there an economy in decline and an environment in shambles?

Tobacco is legal for people over 18....STFU and deal with it.

"ohhhhh the children......what about the children in baseball stadiums?!?!"

Everyone wants to blame the outside world for what their own kids do. Take an active role.

Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan56 View Post
    Dear Dick and Frank,

Sincerely,

The Taxpaying Public
    Agreed. They're constituents may want it, but come on.....their constituents probably also want a house made out of rainbows and candy canes.....it doesn't mean it should take up time when there are more pressing issues.

Can't wait to put in my 3rd party vote....

vCash
    Alchohol and tobacco are legal, and widely advertised all over the place.

...but don't use them!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Schmooze View Post
    Alchohol and tobacco are legal, and widely advertised all over the place.

...but don't use them!
    How much of our tax revenues would go away if people actually listened?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    This "issue" and the steroids "issue" aren't quite the same.

First, steroids are illegal, so the Senate (was it the Senate?) at least had some business there.

Now of course I think steroids should be legal, but there's still a difference even given that. Steroids are linked to performance (or at least believed to be). Tobacco is not. The widespread use of steroids creates a climate where a player has no real choice but to use, or else put his livelihood on the line. The widespread use of tobacco creates a peer pressure climate, but there's no added pressure to perform.

I'm not sure the Senate should be getting involved in either scenario, but this one is remarkably dumber than the steroids issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast