Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    With the way most people drive, I wonder if they even test AT ALL anymore.

Yes put them in all languages....put it in Klingon and f'n Braille. Who cares? Nobody is gonna obey the laws when they're in a rush and putting on make-up, eating a quarter-pounder with cheese and smoking a cigarette at 75 mph anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    With the way most people drive, I wonder if they even test AT ALL anymore.

Yes put them in all languages....put it in Klingon and f'n Braille. Who cares? Nobody is gonna obey the laws when they're in a rush and putting on make-up, eating a quarter-pounder with cheese and smoking a cigarette at 75 mph anyway.
    I wish that the test was much harder. There are so many people out there who suck at driving and are an absolute risk to everyone on the road. The most notable story i can think of is when i drove my grandparents down to Florida and there was a guy playing the drums, i mean hats and everything. Somehow he controlled the car very well for what he was doing but i sped by him about 95mph and freaked out my grandmother out but when i explained it she felt better.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Question: should driving a manual transmission be required as part of your license test? If you can't handle driving a car with a manual transmission, are you really a good enough driver to be on the road?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Question: should driving a manual transmission be required as part of your license test? If you can't handle driving a car with a manual transmission, are you really a good enough driver to be on the road?
    Sure, you can be.

Manual transmissions are pretty ridiculous these days. They don't even save on gas mileage anymore. I mean, I know it's more fun, especially when you're driving a sports car, but that's about it.

And anyway, it's a completely different set of skills. It's like demanding that someone be able to drive a bus before they can drive a car.

vCash
    lol. true. crap that means I fail. Should I surrender my license? Anyone here want to volunteer and drive me around. Let me know I am in Orange County CA. lol

vCash
    Absolutely not, unless you plan to drive one it shouldnt matter. I dont have a manual transmission so i have no use in the knowledge.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by philab View Post
    Sure, you can be.

Manual transmissions are pretty ridiculous these days. They don't even save on gas mileage anymore. I mean, I know it's more fun, especially when you're driving a sports car, but that's about it.

And anyway, it's a completely different set of skills. It's like demanding that someone be able to drive a bus before they can drive a car.
    Quote Originally Posted by lamar2006 View Post
    lol. true. crap that means I fail. Should I surrender my license? Anyone here want to volunteer and drive me around. Let me know I am in Orange County CA. lol
    Well obviously a more experienced driver would be able to hold their own on the road, but it would probably make it harder for people to acquire their license in the first place. Anything (within reason) that does that, I'm ok with.

vCash
    I meant to post this yesterday, but forgot with my computer ******** out on me:

Oh, did you mean the driving portion?

I assumed you were speaking about the written (I'm ing myself here)...lol

And no, but I think that per some written request to a state, an arrangement for a driving instructor that speaks the language of the driver taking the test could be made (where requests would have to be made some time in advance as determined by the state and that the one seeking the license would have to make arrangements to meet where the state says an instructor is available - so as to make available a language-appropriate instructor while not putting extra cost on the state).

And similarly, I don't believe that a state should be required to, say, staff English, Spanish, Chinese, French, Japanese, Vietnamese, Polish, etc. speaking instructors at all times. I think that if a state is to participate in a program such as this hypothetical one that they should be able to choose what languages and in what quantities they're staffed.

And as another thing, I don't think a state should be forced to offer multiple languages for driving tests. If they choose not to do so, that's their choice (albeit one I don't necessarily agree with).

vCash
    Well obviously a more experienced driver would be able to hold their own on the road, but it would probably make it harder for people to acquire their license in the first place. Anything (within reason) that does that, I'm ok with.
    And that's not within reason.

The large majority of vehicles out there aren't manual transmission. Why should you force the majority to use a minority vehicle in getting their license?

It'd be the same thing as saying "You have to drive this (multiple hundred CC) motorcycle for your driving test." They're the exception.

If you want to make it harder to get/keep a license, do annual driving tests for EVERYONE, and make the tests more difficult to pass. FFS, the girl I test drove with nearly killed us on her test, and because the violation could only be scored as a minor one worth like 2 points, she could pass.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by debo0775 View Post
    And that's not within reason.

The large majority of vehicles out there aren't manual transmission. Why should you force the majority to use a minority vehicle in getting their license?

It'd be the same thing as saying "You have to drive this (multiple hundred CC) motorcycle for your driving test." They're the exception.

If you want to make it harder to get/keep a license, do annual driving tests for EVERYONE, and make the tests more difficult to pass. FFS, the girl I test drove with nearly killed us on her test, and because the violation could only be scored as a minor one worth like 2 points, she could pass.
    Well, obviously I'm in the minority on this one. But here's a theory of mine: people who drive manual transmission vehicles are less likely to talk on their cell phone while driving or otherwise drive distracted, because driving a stick forces you to be a more active participant in driving than driving an automatic vehicle does.

vCash
    So you'd prefer more people drive illegally, with NO certification instead of minimum certification?

vCash
    Well, obviously I'm in the minority on this one. But here's a theory of mine: people who drive manual transmission vehicles are less likely to talk on their cell phone while driving or otherwise drive distracted, because driving a stick forces you to be a more active participant in driving than driving an automatic vehicle does.
    It in itself is also a distraction. You aren't going to get any argument from me that cell phones, radio, talking to passengers, eating, etc. are NOT distractions, but you're just replacing a distraction with a distraction.

vCash
    It in itself is also a distraction. You aren't going to get any argument from me that cell phones, radio, talking to passengers, eating, etc. are NOT distractions, but you're just replacing a distraction with a distraction.
    Shifting gears is basically subconscious after doing it for a little while, but it doesn't allow you to use a phone in case a sudden situation arises where you need to shift gears. I wouldn't consider shifting a distraction at all.

vCash
    And no, but I think that per some written request to a state, an arrangement for a driving instructor that speaks the language of the driver taking the test could be made (where requests would have to be made some time in advance as determined by the state and that the one seeking the license would have to make arrangements to meet where the state says an instructor is available - so as to make available a language-appropriate instructor while not putting extra cost on the state).

And similarly, I don't believe that a state should be required to, say, staff English, Spanish, Chinese, French, Japanese, Vietnamese, Polish, etc. speaking instructors at all times. I think that if a state is to participate in a program such as this hypothetical one that they should be able to choose what languages and in what quantities they're staffed.
    Yeah, I've had this argument before, only regarding Spanish in public schools ...

I don't care if a state finds that, hey, 10% of the population speaks some minority language, but we just can't conceivably provide special services for them.

I DO care if a state finds that, hey, 10% of the population speaks some language that's not my language and I'm trying to promote my language and so I will deny "those people" special services.

In other words, use reason. Refusing to provide services to a large minority constituency merely because they are the minority is not reasonable. Don't draw lines or make distinctions between languages. Just take the situation as it is and react accordingly.

vCash
    Shifting gears is basically subconscious after doing it for a little while, but it doesn't allow you to use a phone in case a sudden situation arises where you need to shift gears. I wouldn't consider shifting a distraction at all.
    I wouldn't consider shifting a distraction either. But I wouldn't rule out the possibility that some will still, say, use a cell phone while driving stick.

Manual transmissions sort of self-select better drivers. If everyone was forced to drive manual, there would be some godawful manual-transmission drivers. But everyone is not forced to drive manual, so the godawful drivers drive automatic because it's easier. In other words, drivers who drive stick aren't better drivers because they drive stick; they drive stick because they are better drivers. Forcing everyone to drive stick would just force the godawful drivers to take on a more difficult task. And that's a very bad idea.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast