Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 46 to 52 of 52
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    14,885
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    The next time you go into a coffee shop and ask for bangers and mashed, here in America, let me know what you get?
    that is a regional phrase (and most people know what it is), its hardly any more different from regional dialect of Boston vs New Orleans
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,010
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    The next time you go into a coffee shop and ask for bangers and mashed, here in America, let me know what you get?

    Seriously, we do speak a series of unique English dialects, but travel around the UK, or for that matter, just around England, and you and I would agree that they speak a spectacular variety of dialect. Apples and pears means a very non fruit thing when speaking Cockney slang than it does at our local supermarket.
    I swear Brits are just making up slang sometimes. Bumpers? What on earth is a "bumper"? (Actually, I know that answer to that one now.)

    Anyway, I'm just not sure what the argument is. Do we speak "English"? We most certainly do. Is it an English language? Yes. Is it exactly what they speak in England? No.

    Cockney slang is crazy, but a lot of upper-class, RP-accent types don't understand it a whole lot better than we do. There are plenty of American dialects that are difficult to understand -- the "stoked" surfer So-Cal language, deep South, whatever the hell is going on in Minnesota ... It's all English though. If you want to get more specific, again, someone has already done that: American English, Hiberno-English, Cockney, "Pittsburghese," etc.

    And frankly, if we're looking for the dialect that's best understood across ALL English speakers, it's the "American" dialect. No one ever has a hard time understanding me in Dublin, London, etc. because of Hollywood and the American news media. For me, the accents and slang were a bit harder to pick up.

    But again, I'm just kind of lost as to what we're talking about anymore ...

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The Land Beyond the Wall, VT
    Posts
    7,141
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by philab View Post
    I swear Brits are just making up slang sometimes. Bumpers? What on earth is a "bumper"? (Actually, I know that answer to that one now.)

    Anyway, I'm just not sure what the argument is. Do we speak "English"? We most certainly do. Is it an English language? Yes. Is it exactly what they speak in England? No.

    Cockney slang is crazy, but a lot of upper-class, RP-accent types don't understand it a whole lot better than we do. There are plenty of American dialects that are difficult to understand -- the "stoked" surfer So-Cal language, deep South, whatever the hell is going on in Minnesota ... It's all English though. If you want to get more specific, again, someone has already done that: American English, Hiberno-English, Cockney, "Pittsburghese," etc.

    And frankly, if we're looking for the dialect that's best understood across ALL English speakers, it's the "American" dialect. No one ever has a hard time understanding me in Dublin, London, etc. because of Hollywood and the American news media. For me, the accents and slang were a bit harder to pick up.

    But again, I'm just kind of lost as to what we're talking about anymore ...
    Holy ****, those redneck hicks were right! "Gad damnit fool, talk Americin'"

    Right up there with "They toook r' jeerbs!!"

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    19,669
    vCash
    1500
    "Would you like me to take the Chiswick roundabout through Hounslow and Staines?"

    "What is this ****ing Middle Earth? Just take us to the airport OK?"

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The Land Beyond the Wall, VT
    Posts
    7,141
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by The Schmooze View Post
    "Would you like me to take the Chiswick roundabout through Hounslow and Staines?"

    "What is this ****ing Middle Earth? Just take us to the airport OK?"

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    7,331
    vCash
    1500
    This would be impossible to do in new york city. New york city runs on the backs of immigrants, recently transplanted. I don't care if they can speak english so long as they recognize the signs and drive well. I have driven cars in Peru, Puerto Rico, Mexico and Turkey... and I drove there fine. New Zeland (where they speak english) was the hardest place for me to drive, for obvious reasons.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    queens, ny
    Posts
    2,112
    vCash
    1500
    when in rome...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •