Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 52
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    35,664
    vCash
    1000

    Should Driving tests be in only English?

    In America.....

    thoughts?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    35,319
    vCash
    500
    I don't think so. While driving is a privilege, it's become almost a necessity for anyone that isn't in a major metropolitan area that has public transportation who wants to work (or even go to school). I don't think it's fair to "punish" someone simply because they don't speak the overwhelming language. That said, if an employer wants to have a driving test (for a position that demands driving as a facet of the position) in only English, I'm fine with that.

    I think the difference to me is that you don't have to know English in order to drive (assuming if using directions that are print-based and not delivered orally) as a citizen. But, if employed, it's likely you have to communicate as a function of your job with English speakers, and not being able to speak the english language is a hindrance to being able to complete your job.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    35,664
    vCash
    1000
    so do all test drivers need to be bi-linguial

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    26,934
    vCash
    1500
    Yes, they should be bi-lingual.

    And the two languages should be Navajo and Cherokee.


    I mean, that was your point, wasn't it? That those damned immigrants need to learn the native language?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The Land Beyond the Wall, VT
    Posts
    7,073
    vCash
    1500
    As long as a driver can understand the traffic signs, with are color and shape coded as well, who cares? All that matters to me is that the person can friggin drive without endangering me or my kids on the road.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    35,664
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    Yes, they should be bi-lingual.

    And the two languages should be Navajo and Cherokee.


    I mean, that was your point, wasn't it? That those damned immigrants need to learn the native language?
    how is there a point to be made by asking an open ended question asking for opinions?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    5,819
    vCash
    1500
    To me, this question is easily answered. I want every driver on the nation's roads to be insured. To get insurance, you need a license. Hence, I am in favor of granting licenses to every driver capable of driving safely. I don't care if they only speak Urdu, as long as they can drive safely.
    "The idea that the market will solve such things as environmental concerns, as our racial divides, as our class distinctions, our problems with educating and incorporating one generation of workers into the economy after the other when that economy is changing; the idea that the market is going to heed all of the human concerns and still maximise profit is juvenile. . . Are we all in this together or are we all not?" - David Simon, creator of The Wire

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    35,664
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Labgrownmangoat View Post
    To me, this question is easily answered. I want every driver on the nation's roads to be insured. To get insurance, you need a license. Hence, I am in favor of granting licenses to every driver capable of driving safely. I don't care if they only speak Urdu, as long as they can drive safely.
    I like this post....except the part where you have a Duke Blue Devil as your avatar

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    5,819
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I like this post....except the part where you have a Duke Blue Devil as your avatar
    I'm really not even a Duke fan, it's just a good match with the name, hehe.
    "The idea that the market will solve such things as environmental concerns, as our racial divides, as our class distinctions, our problems with educating and incorporating one generation of workers into the economy after the other when that economy is changing; the idea that the market is going to heed all of the human concerns and still maximise profit is juvenile. . . Are we all in this together or are we all not?" - David Simon, creator of The Wire

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    39,986
    vCash
    1500
    I think they need to be able to read road signs, that are in english, or be able to pass the test to know what road signs mean.

    That's the extent of it. Because we can't have every language known to man on a road sign. But if they can pass the road sign portion, I don't much care if they can read english or not

    Heck I know an illiterate guy (well did he died last year) that could't read at all, and had a drivers license.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    queens, ny
    Posts
    2,112
    vCash
    1500
    yes. states can't afford to be printing numerous tests in diff languages to accommodate everyone.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    19,671
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    I think they need to be able to read road signs, that are in english, or be able to pass the test to know what road signs mean.

    That's the extent of it. Because we can't have every language known to man on a road sign. But if they can pass the road sign portion, I don't much care if they can read english or not

    Heck I know an illiterate guy (well did he died last year) that could't read at all, and had a drivers license.
    Quick illteracy fun fact....Dave Thomas(founder of Wendy's was illterate). That is all.

    ..but in regards to the thread yes they should only be in English merely for cost and practicality purposes.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,010
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TRUTH-TELLER View Post
    yes. states can't afford to be printing numerous tests in diff languages to accommodate everyone.
    Nah, this is inconsistent.

    If you're going to bring a cost analysis into this, then don't try a bright line. You draw a bright line -- "yes, tests should only be in English" -- and then justify it with a cost analysis -- "can't afford to be ..." The two are incompatible on the grand scale.

    I also advocate a cost analysis. And the reality is that English will almost always win out over other languages. But what if a majority, say, Spanish-speaking county or a state with a sizable Spanish-speaking population finds it cost-effective to administer driving tests in Spanish in the name of properly training prospective drivers? Then by all means allow the county to administer driving tests in Spanish.

    Drivers will have to know English signs whether they can read or not. But to the extent that we're going to be penalizing people for not understanding "flash your headlights for me" or "take a U-turn here," the whole idea is pretty stupid. To the extent that we're penalizing people for not being able to read a question on the written portion, the whole idea is ridiculous. Worry about understanding concepts, not languages.

    Remember, there's no official language in the United States.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    65,107
    vCash
    1500
    Since we dont speak English in this country i dont think the tests should be in English. No one is going to know where the Olde Street is.

    What the hell is a metre?
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Gibraltar.jpg

    That looks dangerous!
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._-_2251349.jpg
    Member of the Owlluminati!


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    39,986
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Since we dont speak English in this country i dont think the tests should be in English. No one is going to know where the Olde Street is.

    What the hell is a metre?
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Gibraltar.jpg

    That looks dangerous!
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._-_2251349.jpg
    you spelled fun wrong.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •