Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Wooo what a win! 9-1

Lol it was a ridiculous game, Budaj/Anderson each got pulled, the Avs looked brutal. I'm just glad we were on the winning side of it. Felt like we couldn't do anything wrong! Thoughts on the game?

vCash
    5-0 after 1 period...lol

vCash
    great example of two teams going in opposite directions.

vCash
    Hopefully the Flames can keep it up, they lost Jackman and Jokinen in the game, more to come on their injury updates.

vCash
    http://flames.nhl.com/club/recap.htm...id=DL|CGY|home

DENVER (AP) - Not even Peter Forsberg could have saved the Colorado Avalanche from this drubbing.

Jarome Iginla scored twice and the Calgary Flames routed the deflated Colorado 9-1 on Monday night.

This was supposed to be Forsberg's home debut in his latest NHL comeback but the Avalanche announced Monday morning he was retiring after two games with the club because of his troublesome right foot.

Fans who expected to see the star were witness to Colorado's worst loss of the season.

"Tonight was completely unacceptable," center Paul Stastny said. "We should be ashamed of our performance."

Forsberg was disappointed he could not overcome his nagging foot problem.

"We can fly to the moon, we should be able to fix the foot," Forsberg said at a news conference Monday in Denver. "It's been a problem and not one we've be able to solve. But it's OK now. I'm happy with my career and move on from here."

The former NHL MVP signed a $1 million prorated deal last week to play the rest of the season for the team he helped lead to two Stanley Cup titles.

Forsberg played two road games but didn't record a point in more than 35 minutes of ice time.

His foot started bothering him again so the 37-year-old reached the decision Sunday to retire.

"I'm really happy that I got the chance with the Avalanche to come back here and try for the last time and put an end to it," said Forsberg, who will have his No. 21 sweater retired by the team at some point next season. "Knowing for fact, 100 percent sure, that I'm not going to play anymore.

"When I look back, I'm going to be feeling pretty good about my career."

Olli Jokinen and David Moss had a goal and three assists each and Curtis Glencross also scored two goals.

Anton Babchuk, Alex Tanguay and Matt Stajan also scored and Miikka Kiprusoff had 17 saves for the Flames, who had five goals in the first period. Backup goalie Henrik Karlsson played the final 6:51 and made five saves.

"It's fun when you score goals like that," Moss said. "It's good mood a good feeling hopefeully we can keep it going."

Daniel Winnick scored for Colorado, which has lost eight in a row and 10 of 11. The Avalanche also lost center Matt Duchene to a hand injury late in the second period.

vCash
    http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=552766

The Calgary Flames won a critical game Monday in Colorado. They also lost two very critical players.

Olli Jokinen, who had a four-point first period, and Tim Jackman both left the game with lower body injuries.

Jokinen, the first the player to have a four-point period for the Flames since Al MacInnis in March 1991, took what appeared to be a knee-on-knee hit just as the first period ended. Philippe Dupuis was assessed a five-minute major and a game misconduct on the play. Jokinen returned to action in the second period but did not play in the third period.

The Finnish forward has been a force of late. He has 11 points in his last seven games.

Jackman, who had a goal disallowed in the first period, crashed feet-first into the boards in the first period and did not finish the game.

The rugged forward has three goals in his last four games.