Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,188
    vCash
    1500

    Miss. license plate proposed to honor KKK leader

    yahoo news

    JACKSON, Miss. – A fight is brewing in Mississippi over a proposal to issue specialty license plates honoring Confederate Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, who was an early leader of the Ku Klux Klan.
    The Mississippi Division of Sons of Confederate Veterans wants to sponsor a series of state-issued license plates to mark the 150th anniversary of the Civil War, which it calls the "War Between the States." The group proposes a different design each year between now and 2015, with Forrest slated for 2014.
    "Seriously?" state NAACP president Derrick Johnson said when he was told about the Forrest plate. "Wow."
    Forrest, a Tennessee native, is revered by some as a military genius and reviled by others for leading an 1864 massacre of black Union troops at Fort Pillow, Tenn. Forrest was a Klan grand wizard in Tennessee after the war.
    This man is always in my list of worst men in the history of our country. The fact that the state is considering memorializing him points out that some of the battles that people claimed are done (racism) are in fact, still to be finished.

    To me, that later in life he distanced himself from the KKK, later in life, therefore is entitled to be viewed separately from what he did is a crock.
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    65,370
    vCash
    1500
    Whew, I was wondering when Virginia wouldn't have the worst idea about "celebrating" the confederacy. We tried to give them a month just like February is considered black history month. But I feel like this would be worse than Virginia's shenanigans.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    6,115
    vCash
    1500
    You just don't understand the War of Northern Aggression well enough, obviously. . .

    Seriously though, I used to work for the state of Mississippi and this doesn't surprise me much.
    “We learn from history that we do not learn from history”
    ― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    40,038
    vCash
    1500
    I don't see what the big deal is. People will have to pay to show this "off". Not sure why someone would want to have that to show they are a racist but, none the less, it's apart of their history. I suppose it shouldn't be state sponsored though.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,188
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    I don't see what the big deal is. People will have to pay to show this "off". Not sure why someone would want to have that to show they are a racist but, none the less, it's apart of their history. I suppose it shouldn't be state sponsored though.
    It is your last sentence that is the point. It is not about someone wanting to prove they are a racist, it is about the state participating in it.
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    40,038
    vCash
    1500
    I'm sure one could argue, that NCAAP plates are wrong though.

    Of course I think personalized plates are worthless, although I did almost get one for my Alma Mater, till I said wait, I paid for a degree from them, and give them a donation every year, that's enough

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,188
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    I'm sure one could argue, that NCAAP plates are wrong though.

    Of course I think personalized plates are worthless, although I did almost get one for my Alma Mater, till I said wait, I paid for a degree from them, and give them a donation every year, that's enough
    So tell me, when did the NAACP murder a group of people because of their race? When did the NAACP lynch people? You just were not thinking straight when you wrote that.
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Ohio State University
    Posts
    1,198
    vCash
    1500
    Pretty stupid. If you see here, Mississippi has license plates for just about everything, including all of the NASCAR drivers:

    http://www.dor.ms.gov/mvl/availabletags.html

    Unfortunately, they don't have a John Lee Hooker license plate. What a shame.

    What the state won't do for cattle brands...

    = N E W | Y O R K =

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    40,038
    vCash
    1500
    http://www.dor.ms.gov/mvl/tag_img/Tougaloo.jpg

    When I grow up i'm going to Tougaloo college!

    It's like Bovine University only better

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,010
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    http://www.dor.ms.gov/mvl/tag_img/Tougaloo.jpg

    When I grow up i'm going to Tougaloo college!

    It's like Bovine University only better
    What on earth are you getting at?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NOR CAL
    Posts
    8,785
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    yahoo news



    This man is always in my list of worst men in the history of our country. The fact that the state is considering memorializing him points out that some of the battles that people claimed are done (racism) are in fact, still to be finished.

    To me, that later in life he distanced himself from the KKK, later in life, therefore is entitled to be viewed separately from what he did is a crock.
    Cab you were pretty quick to praise the later years of Byrds life without much fuss if I remember correctly. To be fair to you this man was much worse than Byrd but I thought I would point that out.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt


    There's no country on Earth that would tolerate missiles raining down on its citizens from outside its borders.
    -Barack "drone" Obama, 11/18/2012

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,188
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy West View Post
    Cab you were pretty quick to praise the later years of Byrds life without much fuss if I remember correctly. To be fair to you this man was much worse than Byrd but I thought I would point that out.
    As you pointed out, this man was much worse, but to really understand who he was, you have to read (and I don't mean you personally) that this man was pure evil. He conducted a slaughter that did not end until his own men could no longer deal with the blood.

    There is no comparison. Show me where Senator Byrd conducted a race based slaughter. Don't use anything else. Just that. To compare them stretches credibility to the point it snaps in two.

    This evil man was accused of war crimes. This is a general who ordered the killing of troops that had surrendered.

    Randy, as Marine, are there many things worse than ordering the killing of troops that have surrendered?
    Last edited by cabernetluver; 02-11-2011 at 01:22 PM.
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    30,961
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    I don't see what the big deal is. People will have to pay to show this "off". Not sure why someone would want to have that to show they are a racist but, none the less, it's apart of their history. I suppose it shouldn't be state sponsored though.
    Exactly....which is why I firmly back Maryland to issue John Wilkes Booth memorial license plates and Oklahoma's City's city hall monument to Timothy McVeigh. It's a part of their history.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NOR CAL
    Posts
    8,785
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    As you pointed out, this man was much worse, but to really understand who he was, you have to read (and I don't mean you personally) that this man was pure evil. He conducted a slaughter that did not end until his own men could no longer deal with the blood.

    There is no comparison. Show me where Senator Byrd conducted a race based slaughter. Don't use anything else. Just that. To compare them stretches credibility to the point it snaps in two.

    This evil man was accused of war crimes. This is a general who ordered the killing of troops that had surrendered.

    Randy, as Marine, are there many things worse than ordering the killing of troops that have surrendered?
    Well there is not a true comparison to be made. The only thing I could point out was this slaughter was known as a huge thing and the man was celebrated in the Klan. Byrd then made a choice to become part of an organization that did celebrate those acts by becoming a member and at some point a leader.

    Now when I joined the service I made a choice to join an organization responsible for killing some folks prior to my enlistment. I do not however equate the USMC and the KKK as the same type of organizations.

    I do not like either man honestly, what they did and at what points in their lives they did it do not make a huge difference to me.

    I could think of a couple of things worse than killing troops that surrendered. Killing civilians and children who want or have no part in the conflict comes to mind as one.......but just if you wanted a one word answer it would be no.

    If I remember correctly you were supposed to treat surrendering troops just like fellow soldiers. Provide medical attention, water or whatever else was needed. I was never really around many troops that had surrendered so I don't know how they were really treated........I am sure they were not slaughtered though, if so we would have heard much more about it I am sure.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt


    There's no country on Earth that would tolerate missiles raining down on its citizens from outside its borders.
    -Barack "drone" Obama, 11/18/2012

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On the way to Camelback
    Posts
    2,836
    vCash
    1500
    I don't have a problem with them really doing this. Even a swastika is protected speech so having a picture or w/e they plan to do should be under that. Let them waste their money, I know most states require you to put down at least 10 grand so you can have your personalized plates (for your club, team etc.) and I can bet they won't ever reach the numbers needed to get back a return on their investment.

    The Giants NL West Division chase.

    Gagné's HGH Care Package

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •