2 3.92%
Page 190 of 257 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190191192200240 ... LastLast
Results 2,836 to 2,850 of 3848

Thread: The CFL Thread

Quote Originally Posted by T.O.Bombinators View Post
    calvillo..please retire now
    or come play for Winnipeg.

Ticats to rebuild Stadium.

The Ticats failed to find a new site for the team to play in. Instead they will rebuild Ivor Wynne Stadium

HAMILTON, Ont. -- Hamilton Mayor Bob Bratina and Tiger-Cats owner Bob Young have agreed to give up the search for a site to build a new stadium -- and simply rebuild the one they've already got.

The two made the announcement during a news conference Tuesday at Ivor Wynne Stadium, home of the CFL team. City council, which has discussed as many as five possible sites over several years of acrimonious debate, will get its chance to discuss the new proposal at its meeting on Wednesday.

Hamilton has until Feb. 1 to confirm plans for a stadium that would be used for the 2015 Pan American Games and then become the new home of the Tiger-Cats.

"The fundamental story is HostCo (organizing committee for the Pan Am Games) has given us a deadline and we respect the deadlines they've given us," said Young, who has agreed to a 20-year lease at the new stadium. "We know that this can work at this location ... The good news is we have a footprint (where) all the zoning works, all the environmental aspects work. We know that this location will work for a stadium."

The planned $115-million stadium, funded by the city and the organizing committee, would have 25,000 seats. The north stands would remain intact while the south stands would be demolished and completely rebuilt. It would use about 10 hectares -- the current stadium land, plus the land from the practice field next door and the closed-down high school across the road. Up to an estimated 1,500 parking spots would be created.

Construction would begin in 2012 with completion set for 2014.

Young said this was not the best solution for the team, but given the deadlines and budget, he had to make some concessions, primarily with access and visibility. He said he felt the site was close enough to a main access road off the Queen Elizabeth Way, and to rail lines, that they could make it work.

Ian Troop, the CEO of the 2015 Toronto Pan American Games, said in a statement that he wouldn't comment until the plan had been evaluated.

The municipalities of Mississauga and Brampton still plan to submit plans for a soccer stadium for the Pan Am Games before the Feb. 1 deadline, while Markham has withdrawn its expression of interest.

Troop said the deadline for submission of plans won't be extended.

Bratina said that proposed future Light Rail Transit in Hamilton and expanded GO Train service into Niagara could alleviate access problems.

While the proposed new stadium would have fewer seats than the current Ivor Wynne, Young said teams are now counting on more revenue coming from broadcast rights, which makes a larger stadium unnecessary. He also feels it is big enough to host a Grey Cup.

Bratina said he contacted city councillors about the agreement earlier Tuesday morning.

"This (the building of a new stadium) should have been a fun thing over with a year ago, and we're still arguing about it," said Bratina, the former radio voice of the Tiger-Cats who has just begun his first term as mayor.

Under the terms of the deal, $70 million will be available from Hostco and $45 million from the Hamilton Future Fund.

The Tiger-Cats wouldn't specify their contribution to the renovation, although team president Scott Mitchell said three corporate partners -- Molson Coors, Primus and Tim Hortons -- were committed financially to helping with the project
    http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=348918

At least we won't lose our team...

My prayers have been answered. Why this didn't happen earlier or this kind of renovation was brought up is weird
    Head of the Bandwagon to make tunnicliffderek the Miami Dolphins Manager, Guaranteeing us another 72' season

Quote Originally Posted by tunnicliffderek View Post
    i would trade our first,our 1st next yr and cam wake for aj green.Locker isnt a project hed start day one
    i think cutler is worth 2 1st rounders and a 3rd thats just me though

Last edited by dbroncos78087; 01-30-2011 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Merged

Chad Owens to Stay In Toronto Despite NFL calls

Chad Owens, kick returner and wide receiver for the Argos is going to stay in Canada rather than go to the NFL. Many NFL teams contacted him but he said that the Argos were the place for him.

Will we see this trend continue?

This just in: Chad Owens LOVES crack.

Quote Originally Posted by LegendX View Post
    This just in: Chad Owens LOVES crack.
    Possibly. But in all reality, they said he's making a base salary of 150k plus at least 50k of bonuses, to literally, only return kicks.....I guess, he would do the same in the NFL, so yeah....who knows.

Credit--- Phins1983

Former Packer Ahman Green to the Als

Mediocre

The Montreal Alouettes have agreed to terms with former Green Bay Packers star Ahman Green, fueling speculation the Als may be about to part ways with potential free agent and 2009 Grey Cup MVP Avon Cobourne.

The club isn't expected to announce Green's signing until March due to his current United Football League (UFL) contract which is set to expire.

Green will be joining fullback Diedrick Dahrran, a former Nebraska Cornhuskers alumni, on the Als' roster although Diedrick was redshirted in 1998, the same year Green was drafted by the NFL's Seattle Seahawks.

Drafted in the 3rd round of the 1998 NFL Draft, Green was traded to the Packers in 2000. Despite his injury-shortened 2005 season, the club re-signed him to a one-year, $2 million contract.

After the 2006 season, he became a free agent and signed a four-year, $23 million deal with the Houston Texans.

He played for the UFL's Omaha Nighthawks in 2010.

Green will turn 34-years-old on February 16.

LOL I remember watching him in Green Bay.
    Head of the Bandwagon to make tunnicliffderek the Miami Dolphins Manager, Guaranteeing us another 72' season

i would trade our first,our 1st next yr and cam wake for aj green.Locker isnt a project hed start day one
    i think cutler is worth 2 1st rounders and a 3rd thats just me though

Quote Originally Posted by BluejaysFan08 View Post
    LOL I remember watching him in Green Bay.
    It's been a while eh?

Oh well. I don't see him getting many carries in Montreal regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada26 View Post
    Possibly. But in all reality, they said he's making a base salary of 150k plus at least 50k of bonuses, to literally, only return kicks.....I guess, he would do the same in the NFL, so yeah....who knows.
    wouldn't he earn more in the NFL simply getting paid the minimum?

Former Al Avon Cobourne to Tiger Cats

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have added free agent tailback Avon Cobourne to their roster, signing the 2009 Grey Cup most valuable player.

The announcement comes just hours after the Montreal Alouettes announced the signing of free agent cornerback Dwight Anderson.

The Als' starting tailback the last three seasons, Cobourne began shopping himself on the free agent market, which opened today.

Cobourne became the Alouettes' starting running back in 2008, finishing the season with 1,557 all-purpose yards and was named a CFL East Division all-star. The following season, he rushed for 1,214 yards and 13 touchdowns, culminating in CFL All-Star recognition and being named the MVP of the 2009 Grey Cup.

Last season, Cobourne had 956 yards rushing and over 550 yards receiving in 15 games.
    Woo!

CFL takes away Labor Day Classic Game

The classic, historic game between the Tigercats and Argos will not be played in 2011.

Scotiabank Labour Day Weekend this year features two traditional match-ups and two emerging rivalries. The Bombers visit Saskatchewan and Edmonton plays in Calgary. Hamilton, who finished second to Montreal in the East the past two seasons, hosts the Alouettes, and the Argos host the Lions.

"While these are all compelling match-ups, there's no doubt we would have loved to see the Argos face their traditional Labour Day foes in Hamilton," Cohon said.
    I hate it. Thoughts?

wtf