Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Carbs and dietary fiber

I'm low carbing it, trying to keep it around 100 a day. (maybe i'm to low, you tell me) i'm eating 1800-2k calories a day. More towards the 2k

Anyway I got an email from body builder about quest protein bars. Thinking about going to gnc to get one to try but 24 carbs is a lot for one bar (i'll buy off bodybuilding if i like the taste). But the stuff from bodybuilding said with it being so high in dietary fiber it lowers the carbs) it has 18 dietary fiber. So what does that effectively reduce the carbs too?

Now I know shakes are better or getting your protein naturally is better. But I want something for a snack like this morning for instance. I forgot my lunch at home, didn't eat breakfast (well besides a cheese stick) and I want to wait on having my shake till after my workout. I know there is difference of opinion on whether taking protein right after a work out is needed or anytime, but Corey got me on Truetin and the stuff helps me get through my workout because about 30 minutes in when i'm sometimes wanting to give up I think in 40 minutes i'll be done and i'll be relaxing in my chair sipping on some shake.
    So long story short help me understand carb reduction via dietary fiber, and if i'm stupid for worrying that much about carbs. Thank you peeps

Come to psd where admitted dupes who do nothing but troll the gd and fs forum are free. But man don't you dare mention trolling on someone's wall.

vCash
    Well, there is without a doubt quite a difference between sugar carbs vs fiber carbs. I really can't say how big a difference, but I personally really just look at sugar, as opposed to carbs, when going through a nutrition label. I'm not really cutting tho, so maybe its different for u.

Quest bars are cool, but I used to need 2 of them because they're not very filling. Some other good protein bars I've come across are thinkthin and jaybar. Jaybar seems to be made of the best indgredients, but its macro profile isn't as good as the other two. I've been banging on thinkthin because they're the cheapest.
    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

vCash
    Thanks Nasty, I read this and it says over 5 fiber you can subtract http://www.livestrong.com/article/51...actually-work/

That said you raise a good thing about maybe quest bars aren't even the best, anyone got some good macro ones with great taste?

Come to psd where admitted dupes who do nothing but troll the gd and fs forum are free. But man don't you dare mention trolling on someone's wall.

vCash
    If your going for quest bars, Id go with the Apple Pie. Tried others but once I got apple pie its all I order now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    Thanks Nasty, I read this and it says over 5 fiber you can subtract http://www.livestrong.com/article/51...actually-work/

That said you raise a good thing about maybe quest bars aren't even the best, anyone got some good macro ones with great taste?
    I think the three I mentioned are all pretty legit, thinkthin, jaybar, and questbar. They are all made of actual indgredients, unlike other bars
    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

vCash
    No one can tell you whether 100g carbs is too low. It's on a completely individual basis. If it was me hell yes that is too low. I would feel like **** and have **** workouts on 100g carbs. I prefer 300-400g for optimal performance. Others do fine with a lot less than 100g. What I'll say is don't force it. If you feel good on 100g great keep it going. If you don't then up the carbs. Don't think anything magical will happen on a lower carb diet.

As far as fiber this video might help. Very good channel in general is 3DMJ they are awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXBm46Rmn9U

vCash
    Im doing carb back loading right now. <30 g of carbs on my off days and before workouts.

vCash
    From everything I've seen from people doing Keto and reading about Keto diet, you count net carbs which are carbs minus fiber. So in your case you can only count 6 carbs (24-18). It has something to do with fiberous carbs being digested differently than regular carbs. I'll try to find a link.

vCash
    If you want to get really picky, you could subtract the grams of fibre from the total grams of carbohydrates. The reason a lot of carb-counters do this is because fibre isn't technically digested by the body, and thus renders adding them to the total net carbs quite useless.