Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

LDS Church makes changes to their scriptures

This comes from a Mormon friend of mine on Facebook:

Friends,

Most of you have recognized the new LDS.org website. Some of you have recognized that with the new site also came changes to chapter headings and footnotes in the scriptures. Not nearly is significant in number as the changes in the 1981 edition of the LDS scriptures, but equally confirming on the messages being conveyed. Here are a list of the changes that I’m aware of, along with some thoughts and two very compelling short videos below. I’d love to hear your thoughts as you prayerfully review the changes asking “what would the Lord have me understand about these recent changes?”

1 Nephi 12:23- The footnotes for “dark” have been removed (Jacob 3:3 and Alma 3:7 (6-19)) and replaced with 2 Nephi 26:33

2 Nephi 5- the words in the chapter heading “the Lamanites are cursed, receive a skin of blackness” were changed to “the Lamanites are cut off from the presence of the Lord, are cursed,”

2 Nephi 5:21- The footnotes for “curse” (2 Nephi 1:17 and Alma 3:6 (6-19)) were removed and replaced with “TG Curse”.

2 Nephi 5:21- The word “blackness” has a new footnote which is 2 Ne. 26:33.

Alma 3:6- The footnotes for “curse” have been changed from 1 Ne. 2:23 and 2 Ne. 5:21(21-24) to 2 Nephi 5:21; 26:33.

Mormon 5 Chapter heading removes “The Lamanites shall be a dark, filthy and loathsome people” and replaces it with “Because of their unbelief, the Lamanites will be scattered, and the Spirit will cease to strive with them“

Mormon 5:15- The footnotes for “become” no longer reference 1 Ne. 2:23 and Alma 3:19(16-19) but are replaced by 2 Nephi 26:33

Moses 7:8,22- The words “blackness” and “black” both get new footnotes which lead to 2 Nephi 26:33.

From prayerfully studying the scriptures laid out in the Blacks in the Scriptures DVD series and the talk on “How To Reach African Americans” we understand that a curse is a separation from God because of sin, including loss of the spirit, a diming of the light of Christ within, a separation from His path and ways thereof (see 1 Nephi 20:23 then follow footnote for curse to Job 24:13)

We also understand that skin being spoken of in reference to “black” or “white” is referring to the state of the spirit and not a literal or physical skin color change. There are some that are still in the process of gaining a testimony of these gospel principals. I think that these recent changes should aid in this process. Notice that the changes in the chapter headings of 2 Nephi 5 and Mormon 5 get the reader so much closer to understanding the curse as a “separation” than does the earlier language.

Secondly, notice all of the redirecting, in addition to new footnotes pointing us to 2 Nephi 26:33. This is significant because as we’ve studied all of the scriptures laid out in the attached scripture reference guide for “black” and “white”, by the time we get to 2 Nephi 26:33, we understand that Joseph Smith could have easily translated the word “black” as “wicked” meaning the spiritually dark, as well as the word “white” as “righteous”, referring to the state of the spiritually pure and clean. Well I say he could have easily translated it as such and he actually did. See Alma 11:44. You’d think you’re reading the exact same passage, but this time you see the wicked and the righteous, in place of black and white.

So I sincerely hope that this is helpful and that you’ll pass this onto others and engage in productive conversations about these new changes from the Church.

And now for the video. Now the Lord has told us over and over that He is no respecter of persons. He teaches us in 1 Samuel 16:7 that He doesn’t look on the outward appearance as does man. We see many times in the Book of Mormon where the Nephites, Lamanites and Amlicites had to do specific things to themselves just to be able to distinguish themselves from each other. They would not have had to do this if there were an actual skin color change. (See Alma 3). We also see in the Book of Mormon times when the Nephites passed themselves off as Lamanites just by telling them that they were Lamanites. This also could not have happened if there were a literal skin color change. By the way, anyone ever seen anyone’s skin color change after a baptism? So this video is riveting. It starts slow, so please be patient and know that it gets really gripping. After viewing it, ask yourself if a loving Father in heaven and our Savior Jesus Christ, would create these dynamics seen in these children in a matter of minutes and hours. I think the scriptural truths will resonate as you view these and confirm the understanding set forth with the newest changes to the scriptures from the church.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BrFH...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UbNp...eature=related

Day two of the experiment saw those who thought they were better, find out that they were worse and that those with different color eyes were better. I was amazed at how quickly the high self worth of that group plummeted. The lower sense of self worth caused them to not apply themselves, believe in themselves or approach their work with undivided thought, instead, partly thinking about their second class status. Even couched in kind tones, today we find many in the church who utilize labels of separation like your people, our people etc. We are one.

Sincerely,

Marvin
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    We're talkinb about the book of Mormon here right?

Started by Joseph Smith a man convicted of fraud who wonders into the desert, finds a hidden message, is given magic glasses so that only he can read it....

vCash
    It sounds like this was nothing more than an attempt to clarify the translation, nothing wrong with that imo.

The PSD's Official Steve Nash Support Crew, Members: R4L

vCash
    Now with less racism!
    United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon called the bombing of the UN school, which was acting as a shelter, an "outrageous" act that could have no possible justification. “Nothing is more shameful than attacking sleeping children,” Ban said in his most harsh statements to date against Israeli action. Source.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Labgrownmangoat View Post
    Now with less racism!
    Hah. My thoughts exactly.

I wonder why the change now though? Has there been an outcry within the Mormon community or something? Or perhaps they would want to appear more appealing for some reason. I wonder if there is unrest in some other denomination.

The Giants NL West Division chase.

Gagné's HGH Care Package

vCash
    They found the scripture to be wrong? HEY I do have something in common with Mormons!

vCash
    The history of Mormonism is truly hilarious.
    lol nothing matters

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PunkShizzle View Post
    The history of Mormonism is truly hilarious.
    No more hilarious or crazy then any other religion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Well if there's a scale, I'd have to say Mormonism is funnier than most of the others.

What's great is that the further you get away in time from the origins, the more widely accepted it becomes and the less you can challenge it. It's "offensive" to bad mouth or mock centuries old jueo-Christian, Hindu or Buddhist faith, but we openly mock and question Scientology. Mormonism is in that middle ground. Once thought of as crazy as Scientology and now spreading enough to be more accepted and less open to questioning. Soon Scientology will spread enough to get there and when someone says "aliens hahahah really??" they'll be met with "shhh that's not nice. I'm suing you intolerant bastard!".

I just hope the Pastafarians are more openly accepted soon. RAmen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidaz4Life View Post
    It sounds like this was nothing more than an attempt to clarify the translation, nothing wrong with that imo.
    wrong. this religion only makes changes for the benefit of public perception over the past 2 centuries. see polygamy and their previous views on race, including those of Brigham young and J smith. their religion is rooted in racism and fraud.

I have a feeling this is a move to help their political candidates on a broad scale, see Mitt Romney. I think they realize they have zero chance in a national election with the racism rooted in the foundation of their religion.

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    I know it's fun and easy to make fun of this. But think about this. An established religion, with millions of members, changing the text to their holy book in order to make it more in line with modern times and removing the racism. I applaud them. I'm not about to move to Utah and take two wives, but hey at least they are (to a certain extent) admitting fault and doing something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    on the crazy scale..

All religions < Scientology

There are more crazy religions... it's why the flying spaghetti monster thing actually works as an argument.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
    wrong. this religion only makes changes for the benefit of public perception over the past 2 centuries. see polygamy and their previous views on race, including those of Brigham young and J smith. their religion is rooted in racism and fraud.

I have a feeling this is a move to help their political candidates on a broad scale, see Mitt Romney. I think they realize they have zero chance in a national election with the racism rooted in the foundation of their religion.
    They can't erase their history... It's a good move to remove racism whenever one can.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    I know it's fun and easy to make fun of this. But think about this. An established religion, with millions of members, changing the text to their holy book in order to make it more in line with modern times and removing the racism. I applaud them. I'm not about to move to Utah and take two wives, but hey at least they are (to a certain extent) admitting fault and doing something about it.
    Muslims need to do the same thing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertys View Post
    Muslims need to do the same thing
    Please read about Islam before make broad critiques that have no foundation in reality. This isnt the first time you have said "Muslim" and meant "terrorist", they are not the same word and not even close.

Commentary: Terrorism Is at Odds With Islamic Tradition
    by Khaled Abou El Fadl

With the recent escalation in suicide bombings against civilian targets in Israel and the continuing threat of Osama bin Laden terrorist attacks, the relationship between Islam and terrorism is, once again, the subject of rampant speculation.

Some Muslim scholars have proclaimed such acts of terrorism as jihad and considered the suicide bombers martyrs in the cause of God. Several non-Muslim commentators have gone so far as to suggest that Islamic law actually commands Muslims to wage terrorist attacks against infidels.

Ignoring for the time being that Muslims themselves often have been victims of terrorism, I am sure that there are a number of Muslims who do believe that terrorism, at some level, is justified. It is worth noting, however, that, at a minimum, this belief is at odds with Islamic law. The Islamic juristic tradition, which is similar to the Jewish rabbinical tradition, has
    exhibited unmitigated hostility toward terror as a means of political resistance.
    Within the first three centuries of Islamic history, Muslim
    jurists exhibited a remarkable degree of tolerance toward political rebellion by holding that a political rebel may not be executed nor his property confiscated.

Classical Muslim jurists, however, were uncompromisingly harsh toward rebels who used what the jurists described as stealth attacks and, as a result, spread terror. Muslim jurists considered terrorist attacks against unsuspecting and defenseless victims as heinous and immoral crimes, and treated the perpetrators as the worst type of criminals.

Under the category of crimes of terror, the classical jurists included abductions, poisoning of water wells, arson, attacks against wayfarers and travelers, assaults under the cover of night and rape. For these crimes, regardless of the religious or political convictions of the perpetrators, Muslim jurists demanded the harshest penalties, including death. Most important, Muslim jurists held that the penalties are the same whether the perpetrator or victim is Muslim or non-Muslim. It is because of this
    tradition that pre-modern terrorists had become so notorious in Islamic history.

Some Islamists today argue that the only effective way of resisting oppression or occupation is through terrorism and, therefore, it has become a necessary evil. But this type of unprincipled and opportunistic logic is not supported by the rigorous classical heritage.

Although there is no doubt that Islamic law endorses the right to self-defense, it even regulates self-defense so it is not abused.

As one classical jurist put it, "If political expediency becomes the law, nothing will remain of this religion."

Furthermore, even if one assumes that countries such as the U.S. and Israel wage indiscriminate attacks resulting in civilian casualties, from the
    theological point of view this would still not justify acts of terrorism. It is a well-established Koranic precept that the injustice of others does not excuse one's own injustice. Simply put, Israeli helicopters slaughtering
    Muslim civilians as they sit in their living rooms does not justify the Palestinian bombers slaughtering Israeli children as they enjoy a meal with their parents in a restaurant.

There is also another dimension to this problem.

Modern Muslim terrorist groups are more rooted in national liberation ideologies of the 19th and 20th centuries than they are in the Islamic
    tradition.
    Although these terrorist groups adopt various theological justifications for their behavior, their ideologies, symbolism, language and organizational structure reflect the influence of the anti-colonial struggle of the developing world. For instance, the groups often use expressions such as hizb(party),tahrir(liberation),taqrir al-masir (self-determination),harakah(movement),al-kawadir al-fa'alah(the active cadres) or harb muqaddasa (holy struggle). These expressions are imported from national liberation struggles against colonialism and did not emerge from the Islamic heritage.

In short, modern Muslim terrorism is part of the historical legacy of colonialism and not the legacy of Islamic law. According to the Islamic
    juristic tradition, terrorists would have no quarter.
    Source: Muslim-Lawyers.net
    Member of the Owlluminati!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast