Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What if the Lakers traded Kobe for a prime J.Kidd and Shawn Marion?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lakers would definitely win more than 3 titles under Shaq,Kidd and Marion

12 26.09%
  • The Lakers would be a championship contender but they would never win a title

22 47.83%
  • Shaq, Kidd and Marion in Prime would at least win 2 Titles, giving Phil Jackson a 4 Peat.

18 39.13%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

What if the Lakers did trade Kobe in 2002?

I was reading Phil Jackson's "Last season" book and in one chapter Phil said he went up to management and proposed to trade Kobe for Jason Kidd and Shawn Marion. The Suns supposedly were willing to do this because Kobe was a young all star(22 y/o?), enigmatic, obviously popular (Pre Colorado rape case) and was very talented player but Jeannie Buss did'nt like the idea, because Kobe and Shaq tandem was giving them a lot dollars and success despite the drama.

I ask, how many title's would the Lakers had if they traded Kobe to Phoenix for Jason Kidd and Shawn Marion? Keep in mind Jason Kidd was easily a Top 10 player then and Shawn Marion was an up and coming player.

Would a prime Shaq, Jason Kidd and Phil Jackson win more titles?

vCash
    Jason Kidd isnt the kind of PG Id want around Shaq.

"It’s absolutely ludicrous” (to judge players based on whether they’ve won a title.)

vCash
    Yes because Jason Kidd eventually took the New Jersey Nets to 2 NBA finals and Marion became the most versatile player in the NBA.

You would have a hall of fame PG and center and a SF that can play SG/SF/PF and give you 20 and 10.
    Dallas Mavericks
    2010 - 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!

vCash
    where are the other options?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    If this happened then the Lakers would have only won 1 title with Shaq and there would be 50% less Laker fans on this website today. Man i wish it happened...

vCash
    What if my grandma had balls??

Seriously, how would we know??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers4sho View Post

Then you wouldn't be alive right now
    Dallas Mavericks
    2010 - 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!

vCash
    I am not so sure. Kidd was a great PG, but is he really a good fit with Shaq? Kidd is a horrific shooter, and a runner, of which Shaq wasn't. Marion, ehhh, ok. I mean, in theory, I can see LA winning a couple of rings with those guys. But that is looking at the roster on paper. Games aren't played on paper.
    Plus, we never know what the surroundings would have been.
    On top of that, what would Phx have looked like?? I don't feel like looking it up, but getting Kobe for Kidd/Marion would have worked for Phx as well, would it have not?? Can you imagine the numbers Kobe would get under a Mike D system, in his prime?? jesus

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    I hate "what-ifs"

vCash
    Stupid what if threads

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    On top of that, what would Phx have looked like?? I don't feel like looking it up, but getting Kobe for Kidd/Marion would have worked for Phx as well, would it have not?? Can you imagine the numbers Kobe would get under a Mike D system, in his prime?? jesus
    Thats the more interesting point. The Suns at that point were a 52 win caliber team, without Marion and Kidd its more of a 28 win team. And he wouldve been coached under Scott Skiles.

If we agree that no matter how great Kobe is, he doesnt outweigh the impact of Kidd and Marion at the top of their games, the team would likely win less than 47 games. Over the next 2 years his best teammate is going to be Penny Hardaway and an underdeveloped Joe Johnson. Its possible that DAntoni ends up in Phx sooner considering the relationship he has with Kobe, but the talent pool isnt pretty and their money is tied up to the guy they thought would be their Kobe in Penny.

Still though, any take on the kind of production we could have expected in your opinion?

"It’s absolutely ludicrous” (to judge players based on whether they’ve won a title.)

vCash
    if kobe got traded in 2002, 75% of the laker fan base today would be a fan of whatever team he was traded to.... That's right... i'm calling 75% of laker fans, Kobe-loving-bandwagoners

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mikantsass View Post
    If this happened then the Lakers would have only won 1 title with Shaq and there would be 50% less Laker fans on this website today. Man i wish it happened...

Me too.

vCash
    I think they would have won more title.

vCash

blazerman

Quote Originally Posted by lakers4sho View Post

If your Grandma had balls then you'd be a freak!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast