Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Which FA woulf you rather have?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • MARIAN HOSSA

6 40.00%
  • BRIAN CAMPBELL

9 60.00%
Page 2938 of 4513 FirstFirst ... 193824382838288829282936293729382939294029482988303834383938 ... LastLast
Results 44,056 to 44,070 of 67690

Thread: Old threads

Quote Originally Posted by cubsbears1225 View Post
    These trades are really out of left field man.
    It was just an idea i didnt say we would it was more of an example and if we did trade Bickell is Morin Ready to step up

Morin really projects as a top 6 type of guy more than a 3rd or 4th liner. I'm with Boom on his assessment of Bicks, he really has proven he has worth and at value to boot. The other isue with Morin is that he has been hurt a lot this season and is currently still out of the Icehogs lineup.

Rockford, pit stop on the road to being champions.

I want to give a little love to Kyle Beach. He has worked his way up to the top line with Potulny and Taffe and has really raised his game recently. He has been scoring and throwing his weight around while not playing out of control or making terrible decisions. Also, I have heard of 0 off ice issues. Granted, anybody playing with the other 2 vets on that top line have played well but what I have seen of late has been somewhat encouraging for a guy with a lot of upside but just as many question marks. On friday, I finally saw him be the best player on the ice. He was the 3rd star of the game and had the Hogs won, he was easily the 1st.

I've given the guy a lot of flack at times, gotta give credit where it is due.

Rockford, pit stop on the road to being champions.

^^^^^

http://thethirdmanin.com/2011/02/20/...each/#more-348

Interview with Beach. Sounds like he's matured quite a bit. I don't think the off-ice issues are a problem anymore. He could really be a very useful player next year (we could really use his combination of skill and physicality), here's to hoping he can keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by stormbolter73 View Post
    I want to give a little love to Kyle Beach. He has worked his way up to the top line with Potulny and Taffe and has really raised his game recently. He has been scoring and throwing his weight around while not playing out of control or making terrible decisions. Also, I have heard of 0 off ice issues. Granted, anybody playing with the other 2 vets on that top line have played well but what I have seen of late has been somewhat encouraging for a guy with a lot of upside but just as many question marks. On friday, I finally saw him be the best player on the ice. He was the 3rd star of the game and had the Hogs won, he was easily the 1st.

I've given the guy a lot of flack at times, gotta give credit where it is due.
    Great to hear. I hope I am really wrong about Beach, because he has a skill set that the Blackhawks are missing. We could definitely use a mature, non-penalty taking machine Beach next year.

Post Blackhawks Thru 60

Every 10 games I'll give you an assessment of the Chicago Blackhawks, just as the coaches do internally. No one could have thought they would be 31-23-6 and on the outside of the playoff picture looking in after 60 games, but they are. Here's what you need to know about the last 10 games and the first 60:

10) The Run: Is it finally here? Did games 59 and 60 solidify that notion? The Hawks hadn't won back to back games since Jan. 16 and 22, so it's possible. More than that, they've earned points in six of seven. Forget about a winning streak, the Hawks haven't had many point streaks this year because of their inability to get close games to overtime. It will be especially painful if they miss the postseason by a point or two. The Hawks are still in decent enough position, so if they just continue to gather points they should be ok. A 10-out-of-11-point streak, as much as a few wins in a row, would do wonders in the standings. The Hawks still have nine of their remaining 22 games against Eastern conference teams, including five in a row. No less than at least a point in nearly all nine, if possible, is critical.

9) The Lines: The last 10 games have seen major movement among both Hawks' forwards and defensemen, and for now it seems to have paid off. There was no question moving Patrick Sharp back to wing was the right move, and it may have been overdue. That line, with Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews, is poetry in motion. Skill, hockey instincts, and a smoothness about their game, make them dangerous and fun to watch. The jury is still out on whether pairing Dave Bolland with Marian Hossa is a winner, but again, it was necessary to try. Hossa has displayed signs of his former self but not enough. A subtle change in recent days has Bryan Bickell paired with those two, and Michael Frolik dropping down, and that looks to be a good move as well. Other than the top line, the other three are looking a little more interchangeable in terms of the matchup. Ryan Johnson could be a huge key. The Hawks had been getting killed in the faceoff circle, it basically lost them Game No. 58 against Columbus. Johnson and Toews can take every important faceoff when Johnson is dressed. With Johnson's return two games ago from injury, the Hawks have evened up their draws on the season. Bolland should be nowhere near the faceoff circle in the Hawks' zone, when they're killing a penalty.

8) Defensive Pairs: Nick Leddy has been huge. He's allowed Hawks coaches to have a balanced group on the blueline. The halo seems to have disappeared from the Keith/Seabrook duo, and while they'll still have their moments together, there is no guarantee they'll be a pair again this season. Who would have thought when Keith won the Norris Trophy that he'd be paired the following season -- during crunch time -- with a 19-year old just out of college? Leddy might give Hawks' brass more than a moment of pause when it comes to their top four defensemen -- and how much they're paid -- going into next season. Will Keith, Seabrook, Brian Campbell and Niklas Hjalmarsson all be back? (Jassen Cullimore still has more points than Hjalmarsson this year!) It's not a sure thing either way. For now, the defense is improving and Leddy plays older than his teenage looks.

7) Seabrook's Deal: General manager Stan Bowman recently reiterated his desire to sign Seabrook, and for all intents and purposes declared him part of the core. But it hasn't happened yet. That's noteworthy. Also noteworthy is the silence coming from Seabrook's camp. His agent, Steve Kotlowitz, has been quiet, and Seabrook has only made casual references that intimate all isn't going along amicably in the negotiations. He'll be here through Monday's trade deadline -- that much we know. He's a restricted free agent so the Hawks won't have to do anything with him unless he gets an offer sheet this summer. Bowman said the negotiations don't change week to week based on his play, but that doesn't mean they don't change in Seabrook's mind. He's taken over the lead in points among Hawks' defensemen. In fact, he and Duncan Keith are having similar years and everyone knows what kind of contract Keith signed. Among defensemen in the league, Seabrook is 18th in scoring, 15th in ice time, third in hits and 26th in blocks. And remember, this is considered a down year for both Seabrook and Keith.
    Brent Seabrook is one season away from unrestricted free agency. Are the Hawks willing to pay him Duncan Keith-type money?

6) Kaner: The near obsession over Patrick Kane's off-ice habits, which popped up again recently, is borderline pathetic. He's been the same since he entered the league and he hasn't had a bad year yet. And now he's turned up his game another notch. His play makes other betters. That's not a notion you can say about many players -- certainly not teammate Marian Hossa these days. Kane's fundamental ability to make a play, whether that is kicking the puck to his stick, making a tape to tape pass, or snapping a perfectly placed shot, makes him invaluable -- and untradeable. If you think he's having a down year, most players would take a point-per-game pace as a career season. For him, it's just ok.

5) Power play/Penalty Kill: The power play is near the top and the penalty kill is near the bottom of the league, and sometimes you wish those ranking were reversed. In fact, it's a nice hockey debate. Which would you rather have? A top ranked power play or penalty killing unit? After watching this season, it feels like the answer should be penalty kill. It seems more demoralizing to give up a power play goal than it is inspiring to score one. The Hawks have gotten slightly better on the kill, but they continue to give up good shooting lanes to the point man. The power play has been helped by some sudden success, during the last 10-game segment, by the second unit. Dave Bolland has stepped up his offensive game while Brian Campbell and Duncan Keith have had more to say on it as well.

4) The Schedule: As much as it was an enemy early in the year, it should be helpful down the stretch. One last game in Phoenix and the Hawks don't have anything in a time zone that isn't Central or Eastern. That makes a difference. So does playing nine out of 22 against the east. In close games, the Hawks can play it safe, making sure they get at least a point out of those games. Giving an Eastern Conference opponent an overtime point is no big deal. Yes, playing Detroit three times and Tampa Bay and Phoenix twice, along with Boston won't be easy. But consider the Hawks should have more to play for than the Wings or Lightning. Detroit could be locked into a position by the final weekend -- when the teams play a home and home set to finish the season -- and may be taking it easy. Hopefully a trip to the White House in the midst of the playoff race will inspire the Hawks and not distract them from their goal.

3) The Competition: No Hawks' fan could have thought their team would be fighting with the Wild, Ducks, and Stars for a playoff spot. The Hawks are better than those teams, though 60 games haven't said so. The Ducks may be without Jonas Hiller right now, but they have 10 of their next 12 at home, including seven in a row. And one of those road games is down the street in Los Angeles. The other? Against the reeling Avalanche. Speaking of the Kings, they're finishing a 10-game road trip in Anaheim on Wednesday and then play six in a row at home. Later, they have a five game homestand. Dallas also has a long homestand coming, seven straight. Calgary and Minnesota, both with a playoff spot currently, have more brutal schedules. The Flames still have to go to southern California once and the Wild finish the season with three of four on the road, and still have one trip that takes them from Nashville to Dallas to Vancouver and, finally, San Jose. That's brutal.

2) Trade Deadline: Stan Bowman has made one deal which the jury is still out on. Michael Frolik has looked a lot like Jack Skille in the early going. Some speed, some skill, but no finishing touch. It's only been a handful of games so it's too early to judge the two-time former 20 goal scorer. He has been more effective since dropping down to a lower line in games 59 and 60. Bowman still has one more move in him, for that penalty killing defensemen he and the Hawks covet. It will be a smaller name but could pay off huge if the PK improves even slightly. Names still being talked about include Ladislav Smid of Edmonton and Matt Hunwick of Colorado. The deadline is Monday.

1) Leadership: It almost always pops up in these 10-game reviews, and why not? It's as important as anything that happens on the ice. The Hawks were challenged again in that department when Joel Quenneville went down with an ulcer missing games 57-60. It was a seamless transition to assistant Mike Haviland, who hasn't looked out of place. There hasn't been a moment where you might think ‘that wouldn't have happened if Q were here.' Kudos, of course, to Toews, who in Haviland's words, has had to “lead” more this year than ever. Intermission speeches can get old, but from all accounts, when the captain speaks, the team responds, as they did in a critical second period in Game 60, down 2-0 to St. Louis. That kind of leadership will be needed more than ever in the final 22 games.
    Jesse Rogers
    Last edited by cubsbears1225; 02-23-2011 at 11:00 AM.
    FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER ChiTownGuido23

I thought this was a really good article and worthy of reading.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTHEman9990 View Post
    ^^^^^

http://thethirdmanin.com/2011/02/20/...each/#more-348

Interview with Beach. Sounds like he's matured quite a bit. I don't think the off-ice issues are a problem anymore. He could really be a very useful player next year (we could really use his combination of skill and physicality), here's to hoping he can keep it up.
    His current offensive play in his last five or six games is exactly where i was hoping he would be next season with the Icehogs. Hopefully his game is here and this isnt just a streak.

If he can finish the season strong and work a little more on his skating as well as his defense in the offseason, then he may be able to make the team next year if he has a strong camp. I really think the bad penalties will go away with experience, good coaching, and the players around him barking in his ear.

I like the play of Frolik lately, I think he brings a lot of energy and needs to get his first point as a Hawk already. Id like to see him on the 2nd line again and maybe a little time on the powerplay if the hawks have a 2 goal lead at any point.

Western Conference Standings - Updates

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm...d=nav-stn-conf

Up to date standings of the Western Conference.

Let's chat up the big games every night that could effect the Blackhawks.

Time to root for the Eastern Conference teams to come up big against the West!

Post any news that may have to do with the teams we are in competition left.

At this point, just about 20 games left!
    Last edited by Boom!; 02-23-2011 at 11:42 AM.

Last night there were a lot of big games, and it was a decent night from the Blackhawks perspective.

The Blue Jackets beat the Predators. We play the Preds on Thursday and this is a time to take advantage

The Avalanche beat the Blues, putting them further away from the Blackhawks.

The Bruins beat the Flames, hopefully the Flames can't get going on another streak.

The Devils beat the Stars who are in a free fall.

Unfortunately the Coyotes, Sharks, and Wild all won. Not a bad night for the Blackhawks though.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=354914

The Wild's Koivu is out indefinitely with a broken finger.

Definitely a good read with some interesting thoughts. Feel free to post the next one in 10 games as well.

Tonight - Wednesday, February 23rd - Games of Interest

Sharks vs. Penguins - rooting for the Pens

Coyotes vs. Lightning - let's hope Stamkos lights it up!

Oilers vs. Avalanche - Both are dropping fast, but root for the Oilers just to be safe.

Kings vs. Ducks - Both have 68 points. I'm just rooting for a 2 point game, no overtime or shootout.

Quote Originally Posted by Boom! View Post
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=354914

The Wild's Koivu is out indefinitely with a broken finger.
    You have to be shittin me! My fantasy team can not afford another injury. Lol