Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Chicago Blackhawks Rip or Praise Player Thread

Ok here is something a bit new to the boards here. We will use this thread for you guys to come in here and praise or rip a Blackhawks and/or Icehogs player. Disputes are welcomed, and maybe encouraged, but keep them friendly
    Also staff members of the organization can be thrown in at any time too. Please share your opinions on the following questions.

Current Blackhawks Roster:
    Favorite Player-
    Lease Favorite Player-

Favorite Prospect-
    Least Favorite Prospect- (biggest bust)

vCash
    I'll start it off with the prospects...because I feel pretty strongly about the potential bust.

Favorite Prospect:
    Jeremy Morin. The guy is a sniper and his one big knock has always been his skating, but I think he improved that tremendously in the offseason and looked good up with the Blackhawks. He reminds me a lot of Brouwer. Morin is a perfect compliment for any of our top 6 guys. He can hit, snipe, and do it all.

Least Favorite Prospect: Kyle Beach. I just don't feel good about the guy at all. He seems to be an absolute moron on and off the ice. He takes dumb penalties and doesn't always pick the best time to fight. I also think that he has to make some major improvements on his speed or he will be an after thought. I hope he proves me wrong because he is a guy that can be a force...I just don't see it happening.

vCash
    Favorite Player- Viktor Stalberg (excluding the stars) If he isnt traded, I expect to see him log in a few more minutes a game by the end of the season.

Least Favorite Player- Jake Dowell Very cheap option at center on the 4th line which I understand but I just dont like him out there. There are veterans out there who can replace him with more experience and grit at the same price.

Favorite Prospect- Kyle Beach. I have never followed a prospect in any sport and hope my team drafts him like the Hawks did. I remember watching the draft and I almost jumped thru the roof when they chose him. Unless I am wrong, the guy is maturing and has not had any problems on or off the ice in the past few seasons(maybe 1 suspension last season). His past issues seem to haunt him, especially on this forum. This year is a huge stepping stone for him. We wont see him until he resigns with the team at a lower salary and I am hoping he does pan out. I am very biased when it comes to Beach but understand he has the potential to be as much of a bust as he could be a stud.

Least Favorite Prospect- Igor Makorov I dont think hell ever see the ice in Chicago
    FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER ChiTownGuido23

vCash
    ^^^ Beach has 91 PIMs this year (7 fighting majors) through 44 games played. He has 22 points and is a -13. Everything I have read is saying that he is still taking stupid penalties. If he had half a brain I would feel good about him...he just hasn't proved otherwise.

He has potential, especially with his size and hands...but he needs to get his act together.

vCash
    ^^^ I know hes been benched for taking stupid penalties too

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsbears1225 View Post
    ^^^ I know hes been benched for taking stupid penalties too
    If he can get past the dumb penalties, he could be a solid 3rd liner in the NHL...next year. He could put up 15+ goals and 20+ assists with his hands. He is just a liability out there a lot of times though.

He needs to improve his foot speed and defensive play. But most of all he has to stop making poor decisions.

vCash
    Addressing the Beach situation, he hasn't had any off ice problems that I have heard of which is a plus. Unfortunatly, the on ice issues are all there. He hasn't looked dominiant consistantly at all. He has had streaks of looking fantastic on the offensive end but he is easily goaded into taking bad penalties and he can be selfish in terms of when he fights. When you have 90+ PIMS and only 35 of thoe are fighting majors, that indicates a problem.

The bigger issue I have is on D. I look at +/- with a questioning eye for a lot of players but for him I believe it is pretty reflective of his 2 way effort. It's his first full year and he has the physical tools but it's going to take more work between the ears.

As for Jake Dowell, he is EXACTLY the type of player I want on my team. He kills penalties, fights, can score, blocks shots, and is a great team mate. What people don't give him credit for is his leadership on and off the ice. THe guy isn't going to win any beauty contests in his game but that's perfect for a 4th liner. He can also swing up a line in a pinch. You are getting every dime of your money with that guy and IMO a lot more.

Rockford, pit stop on the road to being champions.

vCash
    I would have to agree with Boom! and Storm on mst o what is said. Beach has defintely showed he can still be a clown on the ice, whether its a dumb penalty, bad fight. He also is seen alot of times after the whistle crying, pleading to the ref.

On the Makarov post, I hope that is wrong. I absolutely love Makarov, he hs great skill and potential, but doesn't get the ice time to use it.

To say Jake Dowell doesn't provide enough grit isn't fair. He is always the one stepping in for a teammate if needed, excellent penalty killer, 110% every shift, also can be a leader. He has even stepped up during injuries and played 1st and 2nd line minutes.

vCash
    A player I'd like to praise is Troy Brouwer.

He is 5th in the league in hits right now and fits perfectly with Kane/Toews.

Brouwer works his *** off, isn't afraid to stand up for a teammate, and is a great energy guy for our team. If we had a couple more guys like him (even with a lesser skill set) on our 3rd line, we'd be in pretty good shape.

I'm really happy with the way Brouwer has progressed and is playing this year.

vCash
    I didnt know Havlat is back with the Hawks....

Hossa missed the 3rd period tonight. Why? Because of a fat lip?

vCash
    Joel Quenville....

This guy is really starting to piss me off for playing Kopecky on the 2nd line with Hossa. This whole "countryman" thing has got to stop. Sure they played well in the olympics together as well as the beginning of the season, but Kopecky has been absolutely brutal and is bringing that line down!

Brouwer has been playing his *** off and has been the hawks' best forward behind Toews and Sharp. He needs to be playing with Hossa and Frolik.

vCash
    I want to give a little love to Kyle Beach. He has worked his way up to the top line with Potulny and Taffe and has really raised his game recently. He has been scoring and throwing his weight around while not playing out of control or making terrible decisions. Also, I have heard of 0 off ice issues. Granted, anybody playing with the other 2 vets on that top line have played well but what I have seen of late has been somewhat encouraging for a guy with a lot of upside but just as many question marks. On friday, I finally saw him be the best player on the ice. He was the 3rd star of the game and had the Hogs won, he was easily the 1st.

I've given the guy a lot of flack at times, gotta give credit where it is due.

Rockford, pit stop on the road to being champions.

vCash
    ^^^^^

http://thethirdmanin.com/2011/02/20/...each/#more-348

Interview with Beach. Sounds like he's matured quite a bit. I don't think the off-ice issues are a problem anymore. He could really be a very useful player next year (we could really use his combination of skill and physicality), here's to hoping he can keep it up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stormbolter73 View Post
    I want to give a little love to Kyle Beach. He has worked his way up to the top line with Potulny and Taffe and has really raised his game recently. He has been scoring and throwing his weight around while not playing out of control or making terrible decisions. Also, I have heard of 0 off ice issues. Granted, anybody playing with the other 2 vets on that top line have played well but what I have seen of late has been somewhat encouraging for a guy with a lot of upside but just as many question marks. On friday, I finally saw him be the best player on the ice. He was the 3rd star of the game and had the Hogs won, he was easily the 1st.

I've given the guy a lot of flack at times, gotta give credit where it is due.
    Great to hear. I hope I am really wrong about Beach, because he has a skill set that the Blackhawks are missing. We could definitely use a mature, non-penalty taking machine Beach next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DanTHEman9990 View Post
    ^^^^^

http://thethirdmanin.com/2011/02/20/...each/#more-348

Interview with Beach. Sounds like he's matured quite a bit. I don't think the off-ice issues are a problem anymore. He could really be a very useful player next year (we could really use his combination of skill and physicality), here's to hoping he can keep it up.
    His current offensive play in his last five or six games is exactly where i was hoping he would be next season with the Icehogs. Hopefully his game is here and this isnt just a streak.

If he can finish the season strong and work a little more on his skating as well as his defense in the offseason, then he may be able to make the team next year if he has a strong camp. I really think the bad penalties will go away with experience, good coaching, and the players around him barking in his ear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast