I am a bit surprised that Boras would take this deal, but the opt out gives Chen one more chance at free agency, though he will be 32 then. The contract is technically five years, $80 million with a sixth year vesting option, but Chen receives $6 million in 2016 and $14 million in 2017 before the opt-out can happen. Typical Loria move, and I know my team the Orioles expected to lose Chen anyway, but this doesn't make it easier. At least we get a compensation pick.

Also if Cosart returns to 2013 form, then he, Chen and Fernandez make a pretty underrated top 3.

The Miami Marlins reportedly agreed with free-agent left-hander Wei-Yin Chen on Tuesday on a five-year contract, guaranteeing $80 million, with a vesting option for a sixth year. Jon Heyman of MLB Network first reported that a deal was close, and Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports and Buster Olney of ESPN first reported it was done.

Chen posted a 3.34 ERA with 153 strikeouts in 31 starts for the Orioles in 2015, and has a 3.72 ERA in 117 starts for them since 2012, when he came over from Taiwan.

The deal does not include a no-trade clause, and with the Marlins history it's possible that Chen will be a trade chip at any of the next five upcoming deadlines. Heyman adds that the deal includes an opt-out for the player after the second season, and could be worth $96 million total if it vests.

The rotation depth of the Marlins, who also recently added Edwin Jackson, looks like this:

1. Jose Fernandez, RHP
2. Chen, LHP
3. Jackson, RHP
4. Tom Koehler, RHP
5. Jarred Cosart, RHP
6. Adam Conley, LHP
7. David Phelps, RHP

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...-year-contract