Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=...id=DL|NHL|home

The Calgary Flames finally lost a game in regulation Saturday night.

Mikael Samuelsson scored twice midway through the second period to lead the Vancouver Canucks to a 4-2 victory against the Flames at Rogers Arena. It was Calgary's first regulation loss in 11 games.

Alex Burrows also scored twice, one of them into an empty net, and Mason Raymond added two assists for the Canucks (36-11-9), who maintained their lead atop the NHL standings with their seventh victory in eight games.

Roberto Luongo made 24 saves to improve to 16-0-5 in his past 21 games.

"Our penalty kill has been good all year and come up big in crucial situations and no different tonight, said Luongo, who remains unbeaten in regulation since Dec. 5 (16-0-5).

Tim Jackman and Curtis Glencross replied for Calgary (28-22-8), which dropped to ninth place in the Western Conference, one point behind the Minnesota Wild.

"It was a playoff game where you give up a couple power-play goals and don't get any, that was the difference in the game," Calgary coach Brent Sutter said. "In our last 23 games that's what, four regulation losses, so it's been a pretty good run here and now we just get recharged."

Samuelsson is red-hot for the Canucks with 14 points, seven of them goals, in his past eight games.

With the Canucks trailing 2-1 and on their heels in the second period, Samuelsson took control of the game in a 2:40 span.

He took a feed from Raymond in the slot, spun and whipped a wrist shot past a screened Miikka Kiprusoff to tie it.

Samuelsson struck again on a power play minutes later, slapping the puck through Kiprusoff's legs with Daniel Sedin providing the distraction in front. It was Samuelsson's 300th point in 595 career games.

"My second goal would never go in," Samuelsson said of Sedin parking himself in front of Miikka Kiprusoff. "It's not about only the goal scored. That's even more important, get in front or finish hits or whatever it is. It's not all about the points and the goals.

"I'm not only here to score goals, but when it doesn't go in for you, what are you going to do?" added Samuelsson, who had one assist in his previous 14 contests. "You gotta stick with it and believe in yourself. Everybody is important to the team and not everyone puts points up."

The Flames, playing their second game in as many nights, made a charge in the third period on the strength of three consecutive power plays. Rene Bourque hit the post on a man advantage, while Luongo stoned Olli Jokinen with a blocker save with six minutes remaining and Matt Stajan on a 2-on-1 with 3:48 to go.

Burrows put the game away with an empty-netter with 42 seconds remaining.
    Tough loss. Back to back games are never easy but we really should've taken advantage of the Canucks with their destroyed blueline. It's too bad, this would have been a big confidence builder but we have to come back with a win in our next game.

vCash
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=353924

DENVER -- Jarome Iginla and Curtis Glencross each scored twice Monday as the Calgary Flames embarrassed the deflated Colorado Avalanche 9-1.

Olli Jokinen and David Moss both added a goal and three assists for the Flames, hours after Avalanche star Peter Forsberg again announced his retirement from hockey two games into his latest comeback.

Anton Babchuk, Alex Tanguay and Matt Stajan also scored and Miikka Kiprusoff had 17 saves for the Flames, who scored five goals in the first period. Backup goalie Henrik Karlsson played the final 6:51 and made five saves.

Daniel Winnik scored for Colorado, which has lost eight in a row and 10 of 11. The Avalanche also lost centre Matt Duchene to a hand injury late in the second period.

Talk about a **** pumping. This was a big game for us, in Denver nevertheless, and the boys really jumped on the Avs in the first period. I'm glad to see we didn't give up either, and just kept pouring it on. Glencross is white hot right now.

vCash
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=354232

CALGARY -- With just 73 combined goals over 1,720 career games, it's a rare occasion when either Cory Sarich or Steve Staios is an offensive star.

They both played that role Wednesday night for the Calgary Flames.

Goals just over two minutes apart from the rugged defenceman broke a 2-2 third period tie and sent the Flames to a 4-2 victory over the Dallas Stars.

Sarich gave Calgary the lead at 2:35 on the defenceman's third goal of the year, a snap shot into the top corner from just inside the blue-line.

"I don't score them very often so when they really mean something, it makes it that much more satisfying," said Sarich.

Then, with the Flames short handed, Staios took Rene Bourque's pass and rifled a 40-foot slapshot past Kari Lehtonen for his second goal of the season.

"I saw Bourque going down the wing and I knew that they were tired so I jumped up into the play and I got it and I shot it as hard as I could," said Staios, playing his just his fifth game since Dec. 5 due to a combination of injuries and being a healthy scratch.
    You know things are going good when Sarich is scoring. You know things are going really good when Steve Staois is playing, nevertheless scoring. Good to see Jokinen playing after that knee he took against the Avs.

vCash
    Wow, it's about time the Flames showed up. (Sorry I have been so busy with school it's been difficult to watch the Flames)
    "You don't choose to be a Liverpool fan. You get chosen."
    Kenny Dalglish

vCash
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=354991

CALGARY -- A week of rest was all Boston Bruins goaltender Tim Thomas needed to get back on track.

The all-star netminder made 28 saves and Milan Lucic scored twice Tuesday as the Bruins downed the Calgary Flames 3-1.

Thomas was playing for the first time in a week after getting a two-game rest from Bruins coach Claude Julien. The 36-year-old came into the contest having lost consecutive games for the first time all the season, giving up eight goals in the process.

"My legs felt fresher tonight than they have in a little while," said Thomas, who improved to 27-8-6 and lowered his league-leading goals-against average to 1.99.

Thomas made it back into the win column with a victory against one of the NHL's hottest teams. Calgary entered the night a sizzling 11-1-2 in its past 14.

Trailing 1-0 early in the third, the Flames had a great chance to tie the game but Thomas slid across to deny Jarome Iginla after the Flames captain and Alex Tanguay worked a perfect give-and-go in the slot.

"That's why he's on top of all categories for goalies in the NHL. He's a gamer," Lucic said. "He comes to play every night."

Later in the period, Thomas threw out an arm to get a piece of Cory Sarich's point shot that then went off the post.

"That whole week was good for him," Julien said of Thomas' break. "Tuukka (Rask) was able to win us a couple games in that span. It's great to see. We're hoping that we can utilize both of them from here on in so we're in a position to have some fresh goaltenders heading into the post-season."

Brad Marchand had the other goal for Boston (34-19-7).

Curtis Glencross replied with his 20th goal for Calgary (31-23-8), breaking Thomas' shutout bid at 17:27 of the third to get the Flames within a goal.

Lucic clinched the win for the Bruins into an empty net with 47 seconds remaining.

"We can't dwell on this, we've had a good stretch here and we've got to just keep taking the positives and keep it going," said Glencross, who extended his point-scoring streak to eight games (seven goals, five assists).
    Would have been a nice two points, considering we've played more games than all the other teams in the hunt right now, but we can't dwell on this one. Just have to come out strong next game and keep the wheels rolling. We need some defensive help though. Steve Staois sssucckss.

vCash
    Good stuff. congrats.

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

vCash
    http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=...navid=sb:recap

Now that the San Jose Sharks have finally regained their customary standing atop the Pacific Division, they'd like to put some distance between themselves and the rest of the competition.
    Ryane Clowe forced overtime by scoring with 2:34 left in regulation and added the only goal in the shootout as the Sharks extended their winning streak to six games by beating the Calgary Flames 4-3 on Friday night at the Scotiabank Saddledome.

"It was a great play by Patty Marleau to pass it to me from the corner," Clowe said of the tying goal, which he scored by snapping a shot from the slot past goalie Miikka Kiprusoff. "I tried to shoot it before Kipper got set. I know that's a hard shot for the goalie, kind of half way up on the blocker side. It was good to see it go in."

The victory capped a month that saw the Sharks go 11-2-0 despite playing 10 of their 13 games on the road. They open a six-game homestand on Tuesday and play 13 of their last 19 at the Shark Tank.

With the win and a loss by the Coyotes to the Blue Jackets, the Sharks have a three-point lead in the Pacific, which boasts the tightest race from top to bottom of any division in the League. Just nine points separate San Jose from Anaheim, which currently sits 11th in the Western Conference standings.

The Flames are in seventh, part of a pack of teams in which just four points separate fifth through 12th place. They looked poised to add two to their season total after David Moss and Niklas Hagman scored 1:36 apart late in the second period for a 3-2 lead heading into the third.

"We let them take the game to us in the last 10 minutes," Calgary coach Brent Sutter said. "They were skating and moving and we were standing and watching."

Kiprusoff, who finished with 30 saves, was doing his best to hold off the Sharks, but Clowe snapped a shot past him for his 18th goal of the season. After overtime was scoreless and the first two shooters on each side came up empty in the penalty-shot tiebreaker, Clowe used a backhand deke on Kiprusoff before going to his forehand for the decisive goal.

"We gave him an opportunity and he went out and got it done," San Jose coach Todd McLellan said.

Devin Setoguchi gave the Sharks the first of two one-goal leads they enjoyed in regulation when he opened the scoring 3:34 into the first period. He backhanded his own rebound past Kiprusoff for a 1-0 lead.
    Another game we let slide out of our hands late. We got a point, but should've had two points.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12