http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|CGY|home

Niklas Hagman has a busy morning Tuesday.

First he had a meeting with head coach Brent Sutter. Then, at around 10 a.m., he cleared waivers. A half hour later he was on the ice for the Calgary Flames pre-game skate. Following the skate, he had a meeting with acting general manager Jay Feaster. And then he faced questions from the media.

"I just have to do things better," said the Flames winger. "I've got to work on it."

Hagman, who makes about $3 million in salary, was a little surprised that he was placed on waivers but, after meeting with team officials and the head coach, he was focused on helping the Flames stay in the playoff picture.

"It was a good talk. We're on the same page," said Hagman. "Overall, I have to bring a little bit more. I have to make every shift I have count. Get a shot. Do whatever I can to help us keep winning."

The 31-year-old Finn admits that he hasn't produced offensively like he wanted to this season. He has nine goals and 15 assists in 57 games. He is currently on the fourth line with Mikael Backlund and Tom Kostopoulos.

One thing is clear. His teammates and his coach are happy he is still with the team.

"From a purely selfish standpoint, I am glad he is still with us because I think he can help us," said Sutter. "Hags and I had a long conversation this morning. There is no problem at all. It is a non-issue. We need Hags to be a good player for us and he will be."

Centre Brendan Morrison has been on waivers and knows what it is like.

"It's tough as a player. It can be an embarrassing thing," said Morrison. "The bottom line is that he knows the guys in here believe in him. We support him."

Hagman was happy to stay in Calgary.

"I think my contract has something to do with (not being claimed). Obviously it would have been nice if all 30 teams wanted me. But it is in the past now," he said. "It is part of the game. I have no hard feelings. I am still here and I am happy to be here."
This guy is brutal. If you can bury his $3mil along with Kotalik's $3mil in the minors, then we can get creative at the deadline since we'd open a little cap space.