Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    92
    vCash
    1500

    State of the Wild

    Pretty much sums up what iv been thinking....

    http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/min110124.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,709
    vCash
    1500
    Not even close to what im thinking. So what if we make the playoffs this year, what about the next, and the next? We need to get some young prospects and pics for the future...Period end of story, make the playoffs now for one year and than suffer through more bad contracts and uncertainty or get some youth deal with a few bad years and become a perennial playoff team

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    92
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    Not even close to what im thinking. So what if we make the playoffs this year, what about the next, and the next? We need to get some young prospects and pics for the future...Period end of story, make the playoffs now for one year and than suffer through more bad contracts and uncertainty or get some youth deal with a few bad years and become a perennial playoff team
    So what if we make the playoffs this year? Since when is making the playoffs bad? Only means more revenue coming in, thus more money to spend on FAs and or more appealing to FAs. I dont disagree with you about getting prospects and picks but anything can happen in the playoffs. I think its more about drafting the right player (maybe by trading up, i.e Jason Zucker 2010 draft) rather than how many picks you can get. I know im kinda going against my word from other threads but i think this article sums up exactly what the people of the State of Hockey are thinking.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,709
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild101 View Post
    So what if we make the playoffs this year? Since when is making the playoffs bad? Only means more revenue coming in, thus more money to spend on FAs and or more appealing to FAs. I dont disagree with you about getting prospects and picks but anything can happen in the playoffs. I think its more about drafting the right player (maybe by trading up, i.e Jason Zucker 2010 draft) rather than how many picks you can get. I know im kinda going against my word from other threads but i think this article sums up exactly what the people of the State of Hockey are thinking.
    I didnt mean to make it sound like the playoffs were bad, just why would we want to make it one year get booted out maybe in the first round have pick #17 or 18 instead of maybe a top 10 or lottery pick? We know our team is in trouble long term (or at least if you look at the contracts we have you should be able to see that) so why not say ok now is the time for a mini rebuild. And I say mini because I still think we have good pieces just some really bad ones too.

    And going on your idea of trading up, would you agree with something alone the line of Boston's first round (or even there first round from Tor.) and Daniel Paille for Brunette+our 3rd+our 5th+ prospect or someones to make money work, would be beneficial too us? I mean Boston is loaded on young talent anyway and dying for a cup and I heard they arent too fond of Paille, it would also give us two first rounds one mid and one late (unless is was Tor than it would be a lottery) and Boston would still have a first. (By the way Boston fans im not proposing this just giving my fellow Wild fans ideas of what would be better for us than trying to make a gun and run for the playoffs that might not work).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    743
    vCash
    1500
    we made the mistake of keeping UFA's who teams wanted. ie gaborik. and it only hurt us, i couldnt care less if were close to the playoffs we need to dump our UFA's and get something in return, DR screwed us on draft picks and also drafted sooo terrible i still feel like finding out where he lives so i can pay him a visit, Hockey news rated our draft picks LAST in the nhl, its time to get some talent comming minnesotas way becuase it dosent seem like to many UFA's want to sign with us.
    \

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,709
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild1414 View Post
    we made the mistake of keeping UFA's who teams wanted. ie gaborik. and it only hurt us, i couldnt care less if were close to the playoffs we need to dump our UFA's and get something in return, DR screwed us on draft picks and also drafted sooo terrible i still feel like finding out where he lives so i can pay him a visit, Hockey news rated our draft picks LAST in the nhl, its time to get some talent comming minnesotas way becuase it dosent seem like to many UFA's want to sign with us.
    Ding Ding! Not only keeping UFA's but signing other teams unwanted UFA's or trading for them and now are stuck with them. People want to come here because we actually have a good fan base, but they dont want to come here because we draft horrible and our team is going no where at the moment. Hence the trading for draft picks and prospects idea. I gave up completely on wild drafting when one year they passed on a good friend with our #16 pick and ended up drafting Leddy....And than we traded Leddy.....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    20,883
    vCash
    2500
    Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    Ding Ding! Not only keeping UFA's but signing other teams unwanted UFA's or trading for them and now are stuck with them. People want to come here because we actually have a good fan base, but they dont want to come here because we draft horrible and our team is going no where at the moment. Hence the trading for draft picks and prospects idea. I gave up completely on wild drafting when one year they passed on a good friend with our #16 pick and ended up drafting Leddy....And than we traded Leddy.....
    the old regime drafted leddy, the new regime traded him...so, if you are knocking the leddy pick, then you should be glad the new regime traded him. As for how the new regime has drafted, they spent all of their top picks on forwards, which is a great thing, considering we have plenty of talented blue liners, but not really any talent at the forward positions. As far as UFA's go, this roster is very hindered by terrible contracts, we have no cap flexibility, so, I think it is good to have these expiring deals on the roster to give us some cap flexibility.

    back to the draft though, how can you have given up on the wild drafting when the new regime has had only one draft? and even going back to the old regime, they did not draft terribly as they landed Gaborik, PMB, Koivu, Burns, etc...
    Last edited by PurpleJesus; 01-27-2011 at 01:07 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,709
    vCash
    1500
    I never said I disagreed with the new regime drafting, although when Cam Fowler was expected to go top 5-top10 and he is still sitting there at our pick I dont care how bad we need forwards you take him. But lets not forget what kind of contracts the new regime is handing out (Cullen, Nystrom, Madden) and it doesnt look like its much different or improved from the old.

    But back to drafts and how you dont think they have done bad from our birth to 2008. Not including any gems and not going past the second round here are a list of people much better available.
    2008- Pick Tyler Cuma(23ovr), Still on the board- Tyler Ennis(26ovr), John Carlson(27ovr), Viktor Tikhonov(28ovr), Derek Stepan(51ovr).
    2007- Pick Colton Gillies (16), Still on the board- Max Pacioretty (22), Michael Backlund (24),David Perron (26), Brendan Smith (27), P.K. Subban (43), Dana Tyrell (47), Wayne Simmonds (61)
    2006- Pick James Sheppard (9), Still on the Board- Michael Frolik (10), Jonathan Bernier (11), Bryan Little (12), Michael Grabner (14), Chris Stewart (18), Claude Giroux (22), Patrik Berglund (25),
    2005- Pick Benoit Pouliot (4), Still on the board- Carey Price (5), Gilbert Brule (6), Dein Setoguchi (8), Anze Kopitar (11), Marc Staal (12), Andrew Cogliano (25), Marc- Eduard Vlasic (35), Paul Stasny (44), Mason Raymond (51)
    2004- Pick A.J. Thelen (12), Still on the Board- Drew Stafford (13), Travis Zajac (20), Wojtek Wolski (21), Andrej Meszaros (22), Mike Green (29)
    2003- Pick Brent Burns (yay a good one! 20) Still on the Board- Ryan Kesler (23), Mike Richards (24)
    2002- Pick PMB (8), Still on the Board- Alexander Semin (13), Cam Ward (25)
    2001- Pick Mikko Koivu (6), Still on the board- nothing
    2000- Pick Marian Goborik (3) nothing to complain about.

    So if your looking, almost every year besides our first 2 there were better options on the board. Now I understand that sometimes you dont scout someone very well or you miss someone EVERY year it happens and EVERY GM does it, but I mean if you look at some of those years....How can you say they ever drafted good besides the first few, I mean I would take Semin over PMB any day, and Ryan Kesler over Brent Burns, than if you look at the other years just wow you cant say they were good drafting at all

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Little Canada, MN
    Posts
    1,153
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    I never said I disagreed with the new regime drafting, although when Cam Fowler was expected to go top 5-top10 and he is still sitting there at our pick I dont care how bad we need forwards you take him. But lets not forget what kind of contracts the new regime is handing out (Cullen, Nystrom, Madden) and it doesnt look like its much different or improved from the old.

    But back to drafts and how you dont think they have done bad from our birth to 2008. Not including any gems and not going past the second round here are a list of people much better available.
    2008- Pick Tyler Cuma(23ovr), Still on the board- Tyler Ennis(26ovr), John Carlson(27ovr), Viktor Tikhonov(28ovr), Derek Stepan(51ovr).
    2007- Pick Colton Gillies (16), Still on the board- Max Pacioretty (22), Michael Backlund (24),David Perron (26), Brendan Smith (27), P.K. Subban (43), Dana Tyrell (47), Wayne Simmonds (61)
    2006- Pick James Sheppard (9), Still on the Board- Michael Frolik (10), Jonathan Bernier (11), Bryan Little (12), Michael Grabner (14), Chris Stewart (18), Claude Giroux (22), Patrik Berglund (25),
    2005- Pick Benoit Pouliot (4), Still on the board- Carey Price (5), Gilbert Brule (6), Dein Setoguchi (8), Anze Kopitar (11), Marc Staal (12), Andrew Cogliano (25), Marc- Eduard Vlasic (35), Paul Stasny (44), Mason Raymond (51)
    2004- Pick A.J. Thelen (12), Still on the Board- Drew Stafford (13), Travis Zajac (20), Wojtek Wolski (21), Andrej Meszaros (22), Mike Green (29)
    2003- Pick Brent Burns (yay a good one! 20) Still on the Board- Ryan Kesler (23), Mike Richards (24)
    2002- Pick PMB (8), Still on the Board- Alexander Semin (13), Cam Ward (25)
    2001- Pick Mikko Koivu (6), Still on the board- nothing
    2000- Pick Marian Goborik (3) nothing to complain about.

    So if your looking, almost every year besides our first 2 there were better options on the board. Now I understand that sometimes you dont scout someone very well or you miss someone EVERY year it happens and EVERY GM does it, but I mean if you look at some of those years....How can you say they ever drafted good besides the first few, I mean I would take Semin over PMB any day, and Ryan Kesler over Brent Burns, than if you look at the other years just wow you cant say they were good drafting at all
    Its really hard because everyone has 20/20 in hindsight. The only pick that was really terrible was Gillies. Everyone knew Gillies was just big and could skate (Which DR loved) and his offensive upside was minimal. He was going to be a 3rd liner most likely, but in all fairness with him and Sheppard their development management was down right awful. Neither of them should have jumped straight to the NHL. Also a few of these picks still have time to turn into something. Cuma is still young and Gillies is going to play in the NHL. DR drafted horribly and it has seriously hampered the growth of our franchise, but to say Fletcher has done so isn't fair. I understand Cam Fowler was the best player available when we picked, but we needed a forward. We already have Scandella, Cuma, Prosser, Falk, and Spurgeon. Granlund was a good pick because he is one of our only prospects with legit top 6 potential. Also Bulmer, Zucker, Larsson, Haula are great picks and Wellman and Palmer were really good college FA signings. This team dug itself a really deep hole with its lack of good drafting and throwing away of picks in trades. Yes it sucks, but we gotta have patience and let Fletcher re-stock our cupboards.
    ]”Goaltending is a normal job, sure. How would you like it in your job if every time you made a small mistake, a red light went on over your desk and 15,000 people stood up and yelled at you.”

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    743
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleJesus View Post
    the old regime drafted leddy, the new regime traded him...so, if you are knocking the leddy pick, then you should be glad the new regime traded him. As for how the new regime has drafted, they spent all of their top picks on forwards, which is a great thing, considering we have plenty of talented blue liners, but not really any talent at the forward positions. As far as UFA's go, this roster is very hindered by terrible contracts, we have no cap flexibility, so, I think it is good to have these expiring deals on the roster to give us some cap flexibility.

    back to the draft though, how can you have given up on the wild drafting when the new regime has had only one draft? and even going back to the old regime, they did not draft terribly as they landed Gaborik, PMB, Koivu, Burns, etc...
    The 2009 NHL Entry Draft was the 47th Entry Draft. It was held on June 26–27, 2009. Fletcher started his job May 21, 2009, Leddy was drafted by Fletcher.
    \

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •