Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Workout Routine

vCash

Workout Routine

Hey guys,
    I am just wondering if y'all can help me out on this....
    My buddy said he wants to start coming to the gym with me. He doesnt want a heavy bodybuilding workout. Mainly just for a little bit of weight loss, to do cardio and to just overall improve his general fitness. he has had some back problems (due to piano moving) in the past, so preferably a routine that is somewhat easy on his back...

Thanks so much and any help ASAP is appreciated...

Note: He would like to do a 5 day routine. thanks guys!
    Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.

vCash
    Also any tips on what he should eat would be great too!

vCash
    Sure we can help, I'll give a proper response in the morning.
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

vCash
    easy on the back eh... i dont want to give any suggestions. i have a bad lower back that i am trying to rehab while gaining size and strength, its tough.

food... thats easy, have protein in every meal, veggies, and complex carbs such as brown rice brown bread...sweet potatoes are good to have as well. keep it simple. never over do on the carbs. have 3 meals and 2 snacks a day.

cardio and weight lifting i think everyone has there own opinion/preference.

i usually do sprints til i cant do anymore and thats after my weight lifting sessions, i also do the prowler after and stairs to warm up.

on a 4 day split i usually will do some cardio on off days.

“It is more about them than it is about the team. Cannot play with them, cannot win with them, cannot coach with them. Can’t do it. I want winners. I want people that want to win.” - Mike Singletary

vCash
    Bump.....could anyone please help me out? I am going to the gym with my buddy tomorrow

vCash
    I could try...how much detail do you want me to go into?

"I am built for power, not for speed."--Me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior21 View Post
    I could try...how much detail do you want me to go into?
    Id say go in pretty good detail...I need all the help I can get to help him out

vCash
    Ok...basics. Always warm up. I like 10 minutes or so of light cardio to get the blood flowing before any lifting. Then I do a direct warm up for the muscle I am training that day, which is usually a couple of light sets of 8-15 reps (depends on which body part and how I feel).

I will give you my split, is a good 5 day split.

Mon-chest
    Tue-back
    Wed-off
    Thurs-legs
    Friday-shoulders
    Sat-arms
    Sun-off

Ok, chest. Meat and potatoes. Bench press. By far the most important movement in building a nice chest. I prefer using the barbell as opposed to dumbbells but they are basically interchangeable.

For his grip, usually bars have a ring on it, I like keep my index finger around that, if there is no ring then have him find a spot where his hands will be about 6-10 inches outside of his shoulders. Thats a good starting grip. If he goes closer it will focus on his tris more, too far and you wont get a full ROM (range of motion).

I have no idea where his strength is so I cant advise you on weights obviously

2 sets of warmup. The bar should ideally touch his chest just around where his nipples are or slightly below that. I would do an additional 4 sets of increasing weights. Keep the weight where he can handle anywhere from 8-12 reps in the beginning. He can adjust later on when he becomes more familiar.

Incline bench. Same movement just at a different angle. Tends to be more difficult than flat bench. 4 more sets, same rep range

I would now either throw in cables where he can hit the chest at high and low angles. 4 sets of each. You could also do db flyes at this point too. I love cables because I get to see myself in the mirror (whatever works right?)

That would be a good chest workout. Simple, straightforward, and easy. There are other exercises that can be done obviously.

Is that enough detail? Also, whats the deal with his back? Is it still hurt? What part? What type of gym is this?

vCash
    Ya thats pretty great detail....he pulled his back when you used to move pianos. He's fine now, he is just cautious cause it is pretty tweakable. Its his lower back, Ciatic nerve (spelling?). Like I said, hes ok, hes just gotta be careful not to pull it again. Its a standard gym, With Weights, some cardio stuff etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Forte22 View Post
    Ya thats pretty great detail....he pulled his back when you used to move pianos. He's fine now, he is just cautious cause it is pretty tweakable. Its his lower back, Ciatic nerve (spelling?). Like I said, hes ok, hes just gotta be careful not to pull it again. Its a standard gym, With Weights, some cardio stuff etc.
    If it's his lower back then he should be able to do lat pulldowns, pullovers, straight arm pulldowns, and reverse grip pulldowns. Those target the lats, upper and middle parts of the back.

vCash
    Ok...basics. Always warm up. I like 10 minutes or so of light cardio to get the blood flowing before any lifting. Then I do a direct warm up for the muscle I am training that day, which is usually a couple of light sets of 8-15 reps (depends on which body part and how I feel).

I will give you my split, is a good 5 day split.

Mon-chest
    Tue-back
    Wed-off
    Thurs-legs
    Friday-shoulders
    Sat-arms
    Sun-off

Ok, chest. Meat and potatoes. Bench press. By far the most important movement in building a nice chest. I prefer using the barbell as opposed to dumbbells but they are basically interchangeable.

For his grip, usually bars have a ring on it, I like keep my index finger around that, if there is no ring then have him find a spot where his hands will be about 6-10 inches outside of his shoulders. Thats a good starting grip. If he goes closer it will focus on his tris more, too far and you wont get a full ROM (range of motion).

I have no idea where his strength is so I cant advise you on weights obviously

2 sets of warmup. The bar should ideally touch his chest just around where his nipples are or slightly below that. I would do an additional 4 sets of increasing weights. Keep the weight where he can handle anywhere from 8-12 reps in the beginning. He can adjust later on when he becomes more familiar.

Incline bench. Same movement just at a different angle. Tends to be more difficult than flat bench. 4 more sets, same rep range

I would now either throw in cables where he can hit the chest at high and low angles. 4 sets of each. You could also do db flyes at this point too. I love cables because I get to see myself in the mirror (whatever works right?)

That would be a good chest workout. Simple, straightforward, and easy. There are other exercises that can be done obviously.

Is that enough detail? Also, whats the deal with his back? Is it still hurt? What part? What type of gym is this?
    That five day split is almost identical to mine. I do shoulders on Thur, arms on Fri and legs on Sat. I throw in 30 min of cardio 5 days and abs 4-5 days.
    GJO- You will never be forgotten. "MORE THAN MINFINITY"!

vCash
    I've been using that split for years. By far my favorite. I used to have an extra workout day in there where I would repeat Mondays workout on Sat and the following week every workout would move up a day. That way everything will get hit twice once per month (more or less). Only one day off that way. Abs I usually hit twice per week since I hit them hard with weights.

vCash
    I've been using that split for years. By far my favorite. I used to have an extra workout day in there where I would repeat Mondays workout on Sat and the following week every workout would move up a day. That way everything will get hit twice once per month (more or less). Only one day off that way. Abs I usually hit twice per week since I hit them hard with weights.
    This is exactly what my next routine was going to be like!

vCash
    That was a good split. Hard on your body but it worked very well for me.