Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Gale Sayers A Ray Guy Fan

This morning on Mike & Mike, unprompted, Sayers asks if either Mike has ever seen Ray Guy play and proclaims that Guy should have been elected into the Hall 15 years ago.

If Guy has the support of a legend like Gale Sayers among others, who are the (bleep)ing idiots that are responsible for keeping him out?!? This is a (bleep)ing travesty of the highest order!

Maybe we need to start a letter (snail mail + email) writing and robo-calling campaign on their ashes!!! We need to get next to these guys to get them to do our will. I mean so close that when they go to their doctors and he tells them to bend over and cough, they cough up the name "Ray Guy." Give me names, phone numbers and addresses. It's time we acted on this, Raider Nation.

vCash
    Let's get Timmy in, then in another 15 years when we are still having this conversation and we have another 8-10 raiders in the Hall, we can reiterate, no (pure) punters in the pro FOOTBALL hall of fame. if you ask any 53 man roster about kickers, 50 (2 are kickers) will say kickers aren't football players, and thats how the voting goes, and thats the way it should be. kickers don't get votes. i can't disagree.

Before all the comments come in, I LOVED Guy, he changed the position for good. he was fearless. people watch now, but they apply todays rules, back then they could kill the kicker, with his little jump in the air, and sometimes they did. but he would do it every time, and pin the opponent a lot of times.

VOTE TIMMY IN!!

vCash
    Ray Guy is the most egregious omission in any Hall of Fame anywhere. I'll go to my grave believing that.

If you think Ray Guy wasn't a football player, you know nothing about him.

-Stork

vCash
    If Ray Guy isn't hall of fame material, who is?

"Just Win Baby!"

vCash
    ^^we have had this conversation Stork. Guy is my all time favorite punter, period. probably 8-10th favorite football player all time (probably cause i met him when i was a kid, i still have the ball he signed). My point is and was, kickers don't get votes. a lot of kickers are their teams all time point leaders, yet no votes. Plunkett isn't in, yet Aikman, Elway, and Young are in. Raiders are harder to get in period.

VOTE TIMMY IN!!

vCash
    should be in the hall imo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NnamdiPick6 View Post
    should be in the hall imo
    See you took your keyboard off chinese. we can read what you are saying now.

VOTE TIMMY IN!!

vCash
    I heard Sayers on Sirius NFL say the same thing this morning. He's way more opinionated than I ever thought he would be. People don't know the value of a punter because most haven't ever had a good one. The field position game is huge.

vCash
    3X SB Champion
    6X All-Pro First Team
    Last edited by The Final Boss; 01-21-2011 at 02:20 PM.

vCash
    The Kansas Comet is pure class...

Ray Guy won three rings, neutralized the best return man in the game (Rick Upchurch). He also played safety in college, and was the emergency backup QB. I remember him warming up in Soldier Field circa 1984 after Marc Wilson and David Humm were KO'ed. Wilson went back in much to Guy's relief. By far the most physical football game I have ever seen.

There is no viable reason to why Raymond is not in the HOF....Its a sick joke and had he played for any team other than the Raiders he would be in by now...

vCash
    Ray Guy NEVER has a punt returned for a TD.

Ray was the starting safety at the University of Southern Mississipi. He picked off 18 passes in his collegiate career including 8 his senior year.

Ray kicked a 61 yard field goal in college.

He had such good hang time on his punts that a team once had a football he kicked tested for helium.

He saved a TD with his clutch one handed grab on a high snap in Super Bowl 18. He positioned Jack Squirek's TD by pinning the Redskins on theoir goal line.

He never had a punt returned for a TD...NEVER. The next best punter in the history of the game, Shane Lechler has...

vCash
    we need to get Guy, Cliff Branch and Jack Tatem in the Hall of Fame those r three guys that were on of the best or the best of their postions of their time

vCash
    That one failed extra point attempt in the mid 70`s sealed his fate lol .I didn`t realize Guy never had a punt returned for a TD ,that means if your gonna deny Ray Guy then no one at this position should ever be inducted ( simple enough ).

vCash

Very good read guys!

It looks like the HOF Sr Committee is still trying to get him into the Hall. He also fell into hard times and had to sell all 3 of his SB rings, damn.. Here are some passages from the article, but I recommend those that don't have a short attention span to read the full article.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--le...l-of-fame.html

On one wall of his office hangs a giant framed certificate that says he is a member of the College Football Hall of Fame. On the opposite wall is a poster commemorating the NFL's 75th Anniversary Team to which he was named in 1994. You can see him in the poster, wearing his Oakland Raiders jersey, No. 8. His leg is locked in an almost impossible leg kick, having just launched a football into the sky.
    "He changed the game, really," says former Raiders coach Tom Flores. "It was never a glamorous position until he came along."
    Too many people on too many of the selection committees over the last quarter of a century don't think a player who is on the field five or six times a game without making a tackle, catching a pass or setting a block should gain football immortality. Voters sympathetic to Guy talk about powerful voices on the committee, writers from important publications whose influence carried significant weight didn't even want to discuss the possibility. They talk about one in particular who dismissed Guy with a dramatic flourish, offended that a punter in the Hall was being seriously considered.
    Are they right?

They don't want to hear arguments that he turned punting into a weapon, that he never had a punt returned for a touchdown in his 14-year career, that he perfected punting out of bounds to minimize returns or that the Raiders had assembled a great offensive machine that often left him to punt with only half a field that prevented him from building more staggering statistics.
    Guy developed a penchant for kicking the ball out of bounds. This was hard to do because kicking out of bounds is not as precise as booting the ball straight downfield. There was greater risk for "shanking" the ball or hitting off the side of the foot and having it wobble only a few yards in the air. But soon he perfected the technique of dropping kicks off the sideline inside the 20-yard line. This cut down on his yards-per-kick but it also eliminated returns. It seemed at the time a fair tradeoff
    This is what I remembered him doing, pinning the opponent deep in their own end of the field and booming punts high in the sky. His punts stayed in the air so long, they started using a clock to count the "hang time" of his punts.

ahhh... the good ole days

watch 4free here http://firstrownow.eu

vCash
    Plunkett, Flores and Guy get snubbed every year.

Why?

I had the privelidge and honor to talk to Mr. Flores in Kansas City this year the night before the raiders/KC game. My buddies Steve, Tim, bro in law Adolfo and my husband Rolando and I were at the hotel where the raiders were staying at. Mr. Flores walked in and had a seat at the bar where we were all hanging out. We said hello to him, he bought us a round of beer. My friend Steve said, "Sir, I have to ask. Why the hell are you, Jim and Ray not in the hall of fame?" Tom looked at us and without missing a beat said "The media hates the Raiders. They hated Al Davis for his bold actions even though he was a pioneer for the NFL. We will never be in the hall of fame."

It's a damn shame. BTW here's a pic of the bottle he bought for me with his autograph.
    http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...027_200627.jpg
    Don't like me?

Go have a seat with the rest of the putas waiting for me to give a flying fk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast