Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Officials: Sen. Joe Lieberman will retire in 2012

WASHINGTON -- Sen. Joe Lieberman has decided to retire in 2012.

Democratic officials, who requested anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly, said Tuesday that the independent from Connecticut would not seek a fifth term in 2012.

The 68-year-old Lieberman won his fourth term in 2006 as an independent after losing the Democratic primary to businessman Ned Lamont, but he continues to side mostly with Senate Democrats.

Connecticut Democrats have been upset with Lieberman since his appearance at the Republican National Convention in 2008 and his endorsement of GOP presidential candidate Sen. John McCain.

They've also criticized his strong support of the Iraq war, although they were pleased when he led the fight to repeal the ban on gays serving openly in the military.
    Source: Washingtonpost.com

I wonder if this will free him to vote more Republican or Democrat, because i dont believe any "independents" in the Senate are truly independent. But if he votes with Republicans on more issues i could be proven wrong. The other thing i am wondering is how this affects the balance because there will be two candidates (i assume) who run that are actually Republican and Democratic.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Oh no, not Droopy Dog!

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Source: Washingtonpost.com

I wonder if this will free him to vote more Republican or Democrat, because i dont believe any "independents" in the Senate are truly independent. But if he votes with Republicans on more issues i could be proven wrong. The other thing i am wondering is how this affects the balance because there will be two candidates (i assume) who run that are actually Republican and Democratic.
    Yeah, it's really a shame and disgrace to the term. I wish Nader had started smaller and ran for Senate. I'm not a big Nader guy, but the cause is fine and it'd be nice to have had a REAL independent in the Senate.

vCash
    Droopy Dog isnt the only one that isnt running. Kent Conrad isnt running for re-election either.

vCash
    Jumping Joe, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

vCash
    This may be the end of the Connecticut for Lieberman Party. Whatever shall we all do?
    I'm going to list ALEC in credits as associate producer of creating horrifying things for us to talk about -John Oliver

People who think the least powerful members of society are responsible for most of its problems are deluded, at best.

vCash
    These were the two guys who ran in the 2006 election against Lieberman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned_Lamont
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Schlesinger

vCash
    I wonder what team's hat he'll wear in the Hall of Fame.