1 4.76%
  • D.J. Davis

0 0%
  • Sean Nolin

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Blue Jays top 30 prospects #5

Well Barreto wins a close one as he grabs the number 4 spot.

My pick for the number 5 spot goes to the RP Hoffman, the kid has all the tools to be a Ace in this league a mid 90's FB but can reach back for a 96-97 fairly easy, a great 12-6 curve, a decent change up that could be a plus pitch in time and a slider that's a work in progress but also has the chance to be a plus/average pitch. At 6-5 and hovering around 200lbs he has very good size and scouts say a very smooth balanced delivery, now hopefully he can bounce back from the T.J. surgery he had last season. The bright side of his T.J. surgery is the simple fact the Jays would have never been able to grab him with the 9-11 picks, most scouts had him in the top 5 before the injury some as high as the number 1 pick.

Osuna IMO is his closest competition and even though he had a rough season in a very SSS after his own T.J. surgery he's still only 19 years old and has already proven he can be dominate against older competition. Osuna a righty who stands at 6-2 and weighs a whopping 225-230 lbs has a repertoire that consist of a low to mid 90's FB but the ability to mix speeds up very well, a very good change that has a splitter type movement to it that makes some opponents look downright foolish and his third pitch which needs a decent amount of refining is a curve/slurve. With very good control of his FB and CH the 19 year old's development of that curve could turn the hefty Mexican into one of the premier pitching prospects in all of baseball.

I truly think Osuna could make a Norris like jump next season but I still think overall Hoffman's stuff is just too damn good and should take the #5 spot.

#1. Aaron (Dirty) Sanchez
    #2. Daniel Norris
    #3. Dalton Pompey
    #4. Franklin Barreto

vCash
    Osuna.

Is Hoffman that much better than Osuna that Osuna dropped out of the MLB 100 prospects (was like in the 90's before) while Hoffman is like 97th despite being injured and probably won't pitch until like late season next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Osuna.

Is Hoffman that much better than Osuna that Osuna dropped out of the MLB 100 prospects (was like in the 90's before) while Hoffman is like 97th despite being injured and probably won't pitch until like late season next year.
    Some think so, he was a consensus top 1-5 pick in a stacked draft. He also pitched 8 innings of 1 hit shut out ball with 16 K's in his last outing before the surgery.

vCash
    Got to go with Osuna here.. Sure Hoffman has a tonne of talent but there is still some risk involved

Sure Hoffman was dominating college bats at 22 but lets not forget that Osuna was mowing down professional hitters who were a couple years older than him when he was 18-19

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber0104 View Post
    Got to go with Osuna here.. Sure Hoffman has a tonne of talent but there is still some risk involved

Sure Hoffman was dominating college bats at 22 but lets not forget that Osuna was mowing down professional hitters who were a couple years older than him when he was 18-19
    I do think it could go either way. I just see Hoffman even though probably being out most of next season further along then Osuna. Hoffman seem's like he will take a path similar to Stroman a full year/year in a half in the minors then he could be pitching for the Jays. Osuna is probably 3 years away. Either way I see both guys even though being top 20 specs in all of baseball within 1-2 years and could easily turn out to be better then the 4 guys ahead of them.

vCash
    Going Osuna again here.

vCash
    Extremely close but I went with Osuna because he has some minor league expierence.

vCash
    I'll take Hoffman

vCash
    We're really lucky to be choosing between these guys at 5/6. If Pentecost never got injured it's possable we could be talking about him here too.

Things will always work out in the end, but if you want them to turn out a certain way... You need to make it happen.

vCash
    Hoffman.

Osuna is next. Let's not pretend like Osuna didn't have TJ and didn't come back looking quite ordinary. I think Hoffman has better stuff and polish... But not by a huge margin.

vCash
    I'd like to see some positive results from Osuna down in 'Zona.

I went Hoffman, simply because of the hype he generated pre-draft. Both will have to prove healthy to remain in the top 5-6 prospects in the system, but I think that if everything clicks - Hoffman has the higher ceiling.

Damn good problem to have though!

vCash
    Still going with Castro..he is the same size as Hoffman, except he is over a year younger and can already touch 98 mph at the age of 19. Castro has minor league experience, and has been absolutely flying up through the system advancing 6 levels there is a good chance he is in NH by the end of next season at the age of 20.

Here are a couple good links to scouting reports done on him (second one with a video of him warming up)

http://yourvancs.com/charting-miguel-castro/

http://yourvancs.com/charting-miguel-castro-part-dos/

He does need to work on his off speed stuff, but he is oozing with potential.

vCash
    Osuna is going to kick *** next year once he's fully healed up -- he's also going to be just 20, while Hoffman will be 22 before he starts to pitch and likely he'll need some reps in Bluefield before even considering Lansing or Vancouver. Osuna is going to be, at minimum, back at Lansing but may even get the assignment at Dunedin -- gotta go with Osuna.

vCash
    Didn't Osuna have better ratios at Dunedin than the guy at #1 on this list did when he was two years older than Osuna, all while coming fresh off surgery? Were the reports on him not great or are we going off ERA or something?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    Didn't Osuna have better ratios at Dunedin than the guy at #1 on this list did when he was two years older than Osuna, all while coming fresh off surgery? Were the reports on him not great or are we going off ERA or something?
    I'm not really sure what the reports on him where but other then the K ratio I don't see any numbers that were very good at all. Not that a 22 inning sample size after coming off surgery means anything to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast