Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Blue Jays' Edwin Encarnacion: Baseball's quietest superstar

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/05/28...test-superstar

lex Anthopoulos doesn’t hide from the truth: He didn’t care much for Edwin Encarnacion when his name was being kicked around in trade talks for Scott Rolen.

“First prize in the deal was Zach Stewart,” said Anthopoulos. Stewart never did win a game pitching for the Blue Jays.

“Second prize was Josh Roenicke.” He did pitch 36 innings for the Jays, all in relief.

“Encarnacion was the add-on,” said Anthopoulos. “We (J.P. Ricciardi was the general manager) didn’t really want him. The way the deal came down money wise, we had no choice, we had to take him.”
    Damn the Jays sure got lucky with Edwin then.

I still remember when people were calling him E5 and wanted him gone.

vCash
    The way he played we had every reason to want him gone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    The way he played we had every reason to want him gone.
    He was out of position, but damn did he work out for us.

vCash
    The Jays let him go on waivers and Oakland picked him up. They let him go too, so that tells you what Beane thought of him. It was when the Jays re-signed him that he finally took off.

It's really amazing to think of how many hitters the Jays have transformed out of nowhere. Bautista, EE and, to some degree, Frasisco.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    Cases like Edwin and Bats are very rare -- Jays got stuck by lightning twice and they are very lucky cause guys like Edwin and Bats on the open market would be $25 mil plus each in salary. How many teams even have one of these types of low ball deals for monster production, let alone two? (not counting team controlled rookies).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanyo View Post
    Cases like Edwin and Bats are very rare -- Jays got stuck by lightning twice and they are very lucky cause guys like Edwin and Bats on the open market would be $25 mil plus each in salary. How many teams even have one of these types of low ball deals for monster production, let alone two? (not counting team controlled rookies).
    this is what makes not being able to compete in their time here so frustrating..

AA basically hit 2 huge lottery tickets and he still hasn't been able to cash them

props to vick27m

"Art was my first major in college but it was too hard, so I majored in math"
    Ron Artest

vCash
    Good to see us get some runs early against Sheilds.

vCash
    Dictionary...Person on Steriods.......picture of Edwin

Sydney, Australia but born in Exhibition Stadium
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampirate View Post
    http://www.torontosun.com/2014/05/28...test-superstar

Damn the Jays sure got lucky with Edwin then.

I still remember when people were calling him E5 and wanted him gone.
    It was E3. As I've mentioned in another thread...I'll finally admit I was wrong. Last year, the year before I wanted him traded as I though he'd regress. When he was bad...he was bad. His D was shocking...He'd swing at pitches that the catcher didn't even catch...I hated him. He has this face that good or bad looks like he doesn't care...That bugged the hell out of me.

He had the slow start this year and I felt he could pick it up and get catch up to Joey. He did...that did it for me. Great player! I was wrong about him. Sorry EE...Let's hug it out.
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    Yes.
    Plus his better than Jose Bautista and not only that he doesn't make that much what he does..way under payed in baseball market.

“The pleasure of rooting for Goliath is that you can expect to win. The pleasure of rooting for David is that, while you don’t know what to expect, you stand at least a chance of being inspired.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBall20 View Post
    Yes.
    Plus his better than Jose Bautista and not only that he doesn't make that much what he does..way under payed in baseball market.
    Let's not get too crazy. Bats bring a few things that EE doesn't.

Bautista does things EE can't. The main thing is he's a walk machine. I lot walks...I think it's one of the most underrated offensive stats. It does the following...
    -Get's you on base.
    -Messes with the mind of a pitcher.
    -Adds 5-8+ pitches to the PC where a hit on the first pitch is just 1 pitch. A lineup with high OBP guys can take a pitcher out 1-2 innings sooner so you get to wear out the BP. I read ESPN box score (changed for yahoo this year.)
    Jose will have 22-28 pitches in a game. Way more than his teammates. Some times He'll have 20%+ of the games pitches. That's a bat you want in the line up.

Jose also has maybe the fastest bat speed in the game also.

If I had to choose a 50HR guy with 30 walks or a 35HR guy with 80 walks...I'll take the 50 walks over the 15 runs as you'll win more games.

But we are spoiled anyways as we have both. I think the best 1-2 punch in the game today.
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBall20 View Post
    Yes.
    Dude, so many of your posts are so ignorant.

vCash
    Encarnacion generally has a great walk rate so it's not like he doesn't do that. It's just that Jose is on another level. That, and he gets pitched around on occasion to get the lefty/lefty match up set up for Lind.

They're both fantastic players but yeah, Bautista is the better of the two. But it's a nice "problem" to have when you're debating about which elite teammate is better than the other .

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    Encarnacion generally has a great walk rate so it's not like he doesn't do that. It's just that Jose is on another level. That, and he gets pitched around on occasion to get the lefty/lefty match up set up for Lind.

They're both fantastic players but yeah, Bautista is the better of the two. But it's a nice "problem" to have when you're debating about which elite teammate is better than the other .
    What bautsista is this season so far is Votto with Power. Maybe not all the way Votto is to walks, but Jose is making it pretty close this year.

vCash
    Bats has always been a walks machine like Votto. Or should I say Votto's been a walks machine like Bautista.

BTW...you see how in todays game Joey and EE's walks dramatically increased the PC on Guthrie. He's recovered a bit but...you have to love walks...even if you don't get the run.
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast