Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Bush's billion-dollar fence fail

Quote Originally Posted by NYT
    Homeland Security Cancels ‘Virtual Fence’ After $1 Billion Is Spent
    By JULIA PRESTON
    Published: January 14, 2011

The Department of Homeland Security on Friday canceled a project to build a technology-based “virtual fence” across the Southwest border, saying that the effort — on which $1 billion has already been spent — was ineffective and too costly.

Janet Napolitano, the homeland security secretary, said she had decided to end the five-year-old project, known as SBI-Net, because it “does not meet current standards for viability and cost effectiveness.” In a statement, Ms. Napolitano said border agents would instead use less expensive technology that is already part of their surveillance equipment, tailoring it to the specific terrain where they will be scouting for illegal border crossers and drug traffickers.

Ms. Napolitano’s decision brought a long-expected close to a project carried out by the Boeing Corporation under a contract first signed in 2005 under President George W. Bush, which had been plagued by delays and cost overruns. Originally estimated to cost more than $7 billion to cover the 2,000-mile length of the border, it was the subject of more than a dozen scathing reports by the Government Accountability Office. . .

Source.

Oops.
    I'm going to list ALEC in credits as associate producer of creating horrifying things for us to talk about -John Oliver

People who think the least powerful members of society are responsible for most of its problems are deluded, at best.

vCash
    I strongly believe that some long fence is an 18th century attack on a 20th (not going to say 21st) century problem.

The most sophisticated fence is still just a fence. There are ways to easily get around electric fences, there was easy ways to get around unmanned surveillance, and there are semi-easy ways to get around manned surveillance.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    The only obvious solution to me is a fence made of fire and tigers.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    How do you weave tigers into a fence?
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I strongly believe that some long fence is an 18th century attack on a 20th (not going to say 21st) century problem.

Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Labgrownmangoat View Post

Source.

Oops.
    Yeah a $1 billion "oops". If they invested that into feeding/clothing/sheltering the homeless and education there would be no oops. Big price to pay for a plan that was done just to appease your political base.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    How do you weave tigers into a fence?
    This smacks of a closed mind.

The tigers pretty much weave themselves.

vCash
    Really the cheapest solution is to just hire Chuck Norris to stand at the border all day.....only problem is that he will scare the border itself away

vCash
    Yeah, big giant fences are no good. The Ming Dynasty, East Germany, North Korea, Robert Frost. Not exactly the company I want to keep.

This might not be the horrible news it seems though. A sunk cost is just that. I don't know what a billion dollars is in the grand scheme of things anymore. Looks like this was estimated at $7B, so we were probably looking at like $10B. Hell, to cut and run at a billion seems like a deal.

vCash
    Fences are always doomed to fail.

You need a moat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by philab View Post
    Yeah, big giant fences are no good. The Ming Dynasty, East Germany, North Korea, Robert Frost. Not exactly the company I want to keep.

This might not be the horrible news it seems though. A sunk cost is just that. I don't know what a billion dollars is in the grand scheme of things anymore. Looks like this was estimated at $7B, so we were probably looking at like $10B. Hell, to cut and run at a billion seems like a deal.
    Exactly. The biggest problem in programs like these, sunk costs cant be recouped and in the grand scheme of things should never be considered in the future decisions.

vCash
    Uh guys, the virtual fence was the Dems' idea. It was a proposed alternative to the physical fence that the Bush admin was in favor of back in '05.
    "If [Republicans] were around when Columbus set sail, they must have been founding members of the Flat Earth Society." -- Pres. Barack Obama

vCash
    It is simple really.

The people coming over are not American citizens. Since they are not citizens that means they are trespassing. When some one trespasses onto your property that you don't want their just shoot them in the ****ing face.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    Fences are always doomed to fail.

You need a moat.
    A moat full of radioactive waste filled with mutant alligators.

As for metsbulls1025, shooting 10-20 million people "in the face" or otherwise is called genocide. You may want to look it up.
    I'm going to list ALEC in credits as associate producer of creating horrifying things for us to talk about -John Oliver

People who think the least powerful members of society are responsible for most of its problems are deluded, at best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgersFan28 View Post
    Uh guys, the virtual fence was the Dems' idea. It was a proposed alternative to the physical fence that the Bush admin was in favor of back in '05.
    Duncan Hunter and Jon Kyle were the ones who wrote the bill, neither are Democrats.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgersFan28 View Post
    I don't care if it was Dr. Seuss's idea, it's socially irresponsible.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast