Thread: Rage

vCash

Rage

RAGE

Developer: id Software
    Publisher: Bethesda Softworks

Release Date: NA September 13, 2011, EU 9/15, AUS 9/16
    Platforms: Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Mac OS X

An id Software release is typically a pretty big deal in gaming circles, as the developer has essentially reached that rarefied air that allows them near-complete control over the development of its games. After essentially founding an entire genre in 1992 with the company's breakout product Wolfenstein 3D, the first person shooter (FPS) genre and it’s father company would go on to bigger and better things including Doom, Doom II, Quake, Quake II, Quake III Arena, Quake 4 and Doom 3.

Now that id Software is owned by Maryland-based publisher Bethesda Softworks, publishers behind The Elder Scrolls series, I’m trusting that whatever they do next will continue to be properly developed and might actually blend the genres of RPG and FPS together as good as or better then Bethesda’s Fallout 3 did so successfully a few years ago.

The latest id property, their first since 1996, (yes, really)Rage is a multifaceted title with no one genre to define it.
    At it’s heart it’s a first person shooter as the majority of the action will feature dungeon crawls or rather sewers where you will face off against vicious mutants. Yes the game takes place in a post-apocalyptic wasteland created by an asteroid impact, based on the real life asteroid Apophis, which is on track to pass near Earth in 2036. Similar to that Bethesda’s immensely popular Fallout 3 but more along the lines and looks of Borderlands. In Rage's story, the asteroid hits, and the few pockets of survivors are forced to start a new civilization. Though Rage seems like it'll feature an open-world area dotted with towns and outposts, much like The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, this sandbox here seems like more of a framework, as the majority of the combat is to take place in interior areas, like a sewer and an abandoned factory. Each mutant bandit clan you come across have different characteristics and traits. Not only in looks and but in combat so you cannot go into each battle expecting to see the same thing.
    But the game is not specifically a FPS title as it is much much more complex.
    To explore the vast open wasteland your going to need some vehicles. There are a variety of vehicles in the game ranging from ATV's to Armored Trucks but the most befitting for the environment is the rough-and-tumble driving ability of the dune buggy. Driving gameplay will be an important feature of Rage. Players will use their dune buggy vehicles to not only transport themselves from place to place but for vehicular combat, like Twisted Metal, out in a vast playable open world setting. Players will also have the ability to augment their cars with various items and upgrades they can gain by completing races, racing like in games such as MotorStorm.
    Rage will also feature some role-playing game (RPG) elements—an inventory system and the capabilities of weapons will be based around types of ammo. Whether or not there will be weapon customization is not known but there will be a Crafting System! One of the coolest things within the game is this feature which allows you to create usable items and weapons from the junk that's strewn about the environments. Ranging from placeable turrets, to a remote control detonatable RC car rigged with camera and explosives (ala Call of Duty Black Ops), on up to bigger and more deadly machines like a spider-like auto-turret that runs out ahead of the player after being deployed.
    Everything about the game seems extensively detailed, intricate, and diverse. Considering the game has been in development for years, it was announced in 2007, we can expect a polished final product that is a deep and expansive and hopefully long lasting experience that should be followed by sales success so that it can become a new series of hits for id Software.

I for one cannot wait to get my hands on it. It isn't slated for release until 9/13/2011 but it's already looking polished enough to show off.

HERE ARE SOME GAMEPLAY VIDEOS AND TRAILERS.

I compiled them into a playlist so pick and choose or watch them all back to back.

For more videos or better quality visit Rage's page @ Gametrailers.com
    Last edited by WIPurplePride; 01-14-2011 at 05:55 AM.

vCash
    Additionally, the game was awarded Best First-Person Shooter, Best New IP, Best Xbox 360, PC, and PlayStation 3 game as well as the Game of the Show of E3 2010 by GameTrailers.

vCash
    i will have to play this game!

Bring It On Schwarzenegger!!!

vCash
    They still haven't talked about the multiplayer or co-op but I'm hoping whatever it is like it's fun.

vCash

Rage

Am I the only one who thinks this game looks orgasmic?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd0RtabEah4

Heres a video of the gameplay
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd0RtabEah4

and YES i know it looks like fallout, but i love fallout and I think this looks like it should be even better... thoughts?

vCash
    I already made a thread on this.
    http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums...d.php?t=574968

/lock or merge

vCash
    bump.

vCash
    Didnt see that thread, but aside from 2 other posters, I guess I am the only one whose super excited for this game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by F*(&"Next Year" View Post
    Didnt see that thread, but aside from 2 other posters, I guess I am the only one whose super excited for this game.
    i think i'm going to pick this one up as well, but i'd like to see more between now and when it's released. right now it just looks like a fallout/borderlands clone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
    i think i'm going to pick this one up as well, but i'd like to see more between now and when it's released. right now it just looks like a fallout/borderlands clone.
    I don't think it looks like a "clone" of anything. I never saw borderlands or fallout's enemies behave as good as I've seen those in Rage demonstrated. Does Fallout have vehicles? Bordlerands does but this game was in development before that game was even started or released so it can't be a "clone".

It's similar in style but it should be more polished as well, once it finally comes out.

Can't wait to hear more on the multiplayer.

11. 01-22-2011, 07:51 PM
    Reason
    link to forum

vCash

vCash
    In the last few episodes of the Jace Hall Show they've been showing clips of RAGE but here's a nice exclusive video clip, lengthlier then the rest. http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/03/11...n-4-episode-18

vCash

vCash
    Sooo basically, Fallout 3+Borderlands=Rage?

props to VCU for the sig!

vCash
    With such a mismash of things you run into the danger of it being spread too thin and nothing being very fleshed out, but sounds interesting nevertheless.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast