Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Buccaneers Face $7 Million Question on Michael Johnson

One of the benefits of the new trend toward pay-as-you-go contracts comes from the reality that, if the player doesn’t perform at a level worthy of his pay, the team can tell him to go.

Last year, the new regime in Tampa opted not to continue the year-to-year, $16 million annual deal for cornerback Darrelle Revis. This year, the Bucs could decide to pull the plug after only one season with defensive end Michael Johnson.

Signed as a free agent after spending 2013 with the Bengals under the franchise tag, Johnson inked a five-year, $43.875 million deal with $23 million guaranteed. Of that amount, $7 million will become fully guaranteed as of the third day of the 2015 league year. Which means that the Bucs can avoid $7 million by cutting Johnson loose.

But here’s the problem for Tampa. With $9 million already paid in 2014, the Bucs already owe Johnson another $7 million that is fully guaranteed, with no offset language. So they’ll have to ask themselves whether they’re willing to let Johnson walk away with $16 million for one year — or whether they want to push the arrangement to $23 million over two.
    What do you guys think? Do we just wash our hands from this disaster or hope that he rebounds in 2015?

The Buccaneers are on the clock.

vCash
    I wasn't enamoured by him last offseason in free agency, never once had him in my mock.. I tell you what though I rather be paying Justin Houston big money over Mike Johnson if given the choice

But I see MJ sticking around. He played with a nagging injury all season and his game picked up at the end where he showed some good play down the stretch. Our BUCS will probably want to see what he can do during a healthy season before cutting bait.

BTW Anthony Collins should get arrested for thievery or ran out of town. He did very well in a limited role in Cincinnati where some of us thought he'd be an upgrade over Donald Penn (guilty here) he was downright awful as a full time starter

vCash
    I'd keep him for one more year but definitely bring in some competition through draft and resign Clayborn on a prove it deal. He started playing ok down the last couple games.

vCash
    MJ isnt going anywhere. He came in and re-injured a high ankle sprain which is a nightmare to deal with. Then once he was getting better from the ankle he broke his hand and was playing with a cast. So he will be here again but probably on a prove it year. Collins can kick rocks tho.

vCash
    This is a tough one. I like MJ, but its been a tough year for him to say the least. He was pretty much a non factor all year. We need a guy that teams have to prepare for and can cause constant pressure. I think he gets another year, but hes on the bubble for sure.

>Watch Me On Twitch Here<
    Click Here to Become a PSD Member!
    ★I am a Member of the BUC NATION