1 12.50%
  • In the draft lottery

1 12.50%
  • Mired in between the lottery and the playoff seeds

6 75.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Playoffs or Draft Lottery?

As of 1-12-11, the Sabres are seated in the curious position of being 10 points out of a playoff spot, and just 1 point out of the draft lottery to pluck the #1 pick in the upcoming draft.

It's "playoffs or bust," literally.

After last night's games (and the Sbares' loss to Philly), SportsClubStats.com dropped the Sabres likelihood of making the playoffs to 7.1%.

It's a dire situation, indeed - even if the Sabres notch a 23-12-5 record in the remaining games, they will mathematically finish with a 43.8% chance to sneak into the top 8.

What makes it all more tragic is the possibility that they will finish out of the playoffs, and also out of the lottery. The teams ahead of them are too consistently good, and the teams behind them are too consistently bad.

Also, there is no clear cut #1 pick in this year's draft - with the International Scouting Service and the NHL Scouting Department considering 5 or more candidates to be taken 1st overall in this year's draft. No Gretzky prototypes this year.

The trade deadline is not far away. If the Sabres aren't close to the 8th seed soon, players with market value like Tim Connolly and Steve Montador will be sent packing in order to rebuild, which would yield the team in the direction of the lottery. If the Sabres still show hope, they actually could look to add players to the roster to make a long lunge at a playoff spot.

And of course, with Terry Pegula visiting the HSBC arena yesterday, new ownership could make moot all mathematical and rhetorical arguments surrounding the future of this franchise.

New ownership brings tear-down change.

Maybe Pegula will tear down those nasty slugs from the Arena jumbotron, too.
    Last edited by ScottyMCSS; 01-12-2011 at 09:09 AM.
    Yes, I am Superfan

vCash
    I could easily see them playing themselves into a selling market trying to push Pomminville, Connolly and a few others like Gaustad out the door. Re-grouping sounds like the best idea to me and getting assets.

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GrkGawdofWalkz View Post
    I could easily see them playing themselves into a selling market trying to push Pomminville, Connolly and a few others like Gaustad out the door. Re-grouping sounds like the best idea to me and getting assets.
    Pommer is a fan favorite and when given a line to work with..well he's good, scary good.

I agree, heft the dead weight like connolly, even monty, weber, rivet, neids.

Goose? Well him with one of the best face off percentages in the NHL should stand and I say he's a keeper. He works hard and is a grinder. We need that.

I think we will be screwed out of both the playoffs and the lottery, but then again, I'm not one to deliberately want a team to tank, especially if the goods aren't there to make it worth it. Also this is Regier's and Ruff's last year under contract, unless they are told to tank, it's evaluation time for them... it's all or nothing, i hate to say, but I think it will be nothing.

vCash
    Leafs would be greatful for the Sabres to roll over, sell, and take a high pick. One more team between the pick we sent to the Bruins and the number 1 overall pick haha.

But seriously, with Roy out the Sabres have a unique opportunity to re-load and not rebuild. Moving some of the dead weight and SOMEWHAT tanking could allow them to grab a top 4 pick which could give them an immediate contributer for next season. If they can somehow surpass the Senators and get a pick in the top 4 they are in line for one of the (now) big 4 of the draft. Moving a guy like Leopold who is having a great season should net them a nice return and moving guys like Grier, Niedermayer, Hecht, Montador, and some others could allow for some kids to get into the lineup to see what they have. Moving Patrick Lalime is a must. No one will want him but getting top prospect Jhonas Enroth into some games for the Sabres down the stretch to see what they have in him, likely to showcase his skills for a trade, will be huge for the Sabres.

I could see Enroth involved in an offseason trade to Edmonton for someone nice in return like Penner or Hemsky. Would work nicely for both teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by McJoe View Post
    Moving Patrick Lalime is a must. No one will want him but getting top prospect Jhonas Enroth into some games for the Sabres down the stretch to see what they have in him, likely to showcase his skills for a trade, will be huge for the Sabres.

I could see Enroth involved in an offseason trade to Edmonton for someone nice in return like Penner or Hemsky. Would work nicely for both teams.
    Not gonna happen this season...Miller thinks highly of Lalime and because our job is to keep him happy, lalime will stay, next year however..so not gonna happen. In regards to Enroth, he'll be the #2 next season, no sense keeping him down in the minors any longer and he'll get some NHL playing time. There's no other choice goalie wise in the minors for us, and to spend bucks on a backup isn;t the thing to do, unless there's some way we can get Ty Conklin back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mintyp69 View Post
    Not gonna happen this season...Miller thinks highly of Lalime and because our job is to keep him happy, lalime will stay, next year however..so not gonna happen. In regards to Enroth, he'll be the #2 next season, no sense keeping him down in the minors any longer and he'll get some NHL playing time. There's no other choice goalie wise in the minors for us, and to spend bucks on a backup isn;t the thing to do, unless there's some way we can get Ty Conklin back.
    Enroth is one of the top goaltending prospects in the NHL and he could be in high demand if he can prove to be a decent NHL goaltender. If a team like Edmonton is going to give you Hemsky or Penner but you have to prove that he's an NHL goaltender than you probably do it. And if Lalime won't be back like you said, than whats the point of keeping him for 2 more months to keep Miller happy...if he likes Lalime, then you have to re-sign him and trade Enroth anyway...

vCash
    ^^maybe a better option is shutting Miller down and letting him have the surgery that he reportedly needed(unless he already had it and I missed it). That would get Enroth in some more games and allow him to boost his trade value.

vCash
    Honestly, moving or waiving Neidermayer/Lalime needs to be the first move. Then moving Grier, Connolly, Hecht and even Pomminville if you can. Montador might get a second round pick?
    Last edited by GrkGawdofWalkz; 01-22-2011 at 10:41 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by McJoe View Post
    Leafs would be greatful for the Sabres to roll over, sell, and take a high pick. One more team between the pick we sent to the Bruins and the number 1 overall pick haha.

But seriously, with Roy out the Sabres have a unique opportunity to re-load and not rebuild. Moving some of the dead weight and SOMEWHAT tanking could allow them to grab a top 4 pick which could give them an immediate contributer for next season. If they can somehow surpass the Senators and get a pick in the top 4 they are in line for one of the (now) big 4 of the draft. Moving a guy like Leopold who is having a great season should net them a nice return and moving guys like Grier, Niedermayer, Hecht, Montador, and some others could allow for some kids to get into the lineup to see what they have. Moving Patrick Lalime is a must. No one will want him but getting top prospect Jhonas Enroth into some games for the Sabres down the stretch to see what they have in him, likely to showcase his skills for a trade, will be huge for the Sabres.

I'd stay away from Hemsky because Buffalo already has enough injury prone players. Dustin Penner does sound very nice though.

cynomatic is offline spɹoʍ ɯopuɐɹ ǝɯos pɐǝɹ
    vCash
    Mired in between the lottery and the playoff seeds - IMO The Sabres will finish 10th in the East

vCash
    ^CYNO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He's ALIVE!!!

vCash
    RIVET (3.5mil)
    Grier (1.5mil)
    Connolly (4.5mil)
    Niedermayer(1.3mil)
    montador(1.6mil)
    lalime(650k)

unless we are with in 2 games of the playoffs the day of the deadline I try to move all of these guys for whatever I can get. The only one IMO keep is lalime let enroth play all the starts he can get in the AHL. If you can get anything

for Niedermayer: either a 6th or 7th rounder or a prospect that needs a new start
    Grier: 5th round pick or energy player

Montador: a second round pick or young player

Connolly: a second rounder and a young player or prospect

Rivet: your not going to get any value back here best bet is to try and swap his 3.5 expiring contract for a similar contract that has one year left or that is a few hundred thousand more and we can get mid level pick for our troubles.

vCash
    Connolly will be a very sought after addition to a playoff bound team - especially given his contract that expires after this year. No risk.

Rivet, well, we've eaten half his contract. Someone will bite (Sharks).

Grier is a guy anyone would want on their roster for the long haul in the playoffs. He isn't 25 anymore, but he adds essential depth and True Grit.

Niedermayer. Moving on.

Lalime. Miller's Boy. He Isn't going anywhere until his contract is up.

Montador - playing the best hockey of his life. Would definitely fetch high returns from a playoff driven team. I say deal him, before his inconsistencies resurface.

Wildcards: Ennis, Gerbe, Byron. We can't hold onto this many skilled guys under 5'9". Kassian. Exactly what the Sabres, and every team, needs ON the ice. But - would the new owner want the off ice drama, or would he wish to whisk all that sort of nonsense away from the franchise?
    Yes, I am Superfan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cynomatic View Post
    Mired in between the lottery and the playoff seeds - IMO The Sabres will finish 10th in the East
    Good to see you rise from the dead.

vCash
    I don't see them making a move now unless it's for the right fit. Is there really anyone that would want Connelly for the remainder of the season wiling to pay Versteeg type prices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast