Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 53
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The Land Beyond the Wall, VT
    Posts
    7,141
    vCash
    1500

    The Huckleberry Finn Fiasco

    Well folks, I was surprised this had not yet landed in the forum. At first, I was concerned about how a thread like this would be treated, so I pm'd BMD to see what he thought. He gave his blessing.

    So I understand the publisher is running copies of the book where the "N" word has been replaced by the word "slave".

    Personally, I disagree with this becasue I feel like it masks over the racism that was, and is so much a part of our culture. If my kids were to read this, I would want them to read the original text, as Twain had intended so that they could understand it more fully, and so that we could talk about it. I think that racism needs to be discussed so my kids can appreciate the issue's significance, and people's emotions associated with it.


    Here are two links. I didn;t see a good one for the case for the revisions, so if someone disagrees with me, and has a good source, I'd like to read it.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_807921.html

    http://napervillesun.suntimes.com/ne...in-racism.html

    What do you guys think?
    I also want to be clear that this thread is about the book only. I didn't intend for this to turn into a discussion about use of the N word outside this context if we can help it.

    Thanks for your thoughts.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Andyville
    Posts
    2,854
    vCash
    1500
    I agree. I see no sense in changing the text. You can't really have a discussion on the history of racism and those types of words without ackowledging that they existed, and were quite prevalent.

    I haven't read up a ton on this, but was there specific outcry at the language or is there just people who love to censor things doing it again? I'll definitely be sure to read the links you provided.
    lol nothing matters

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The North Pole
    Posts
    3,774
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan56 View Post
    Well folks, I was surprised this had not yet landed in the forum. At first, I was concerned about how a thread like this would be treated, so I pm'd BMD to see what he thought. He gave his blessing.

    So I understand the publisher is running copies of the book where the "N" word has been replaced by the word "slave".

    Personally, I disagree with this becasue I feel like it masks over the racism that was, and is so much a part of our culture. If my kids were to read this, I would want them to read the original text, as Twain had intended so that they could understand it more fully, and so that we could talk about it. I think that racism needs to be discussed so my kids can appreciate the issue's significance, and people's emotions associated with it.


    Here are two links. I didn;t see a good one for the case for the revisions, so if someone disagrees with me, and has a good source, I'd like to read it.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_807921.html

    http://napervillesun.suntimes.com/ne...in-racism.html

    What do you guys think?
    I also want to be clear that this thread is about the book only. I didn't intend for this to turn into a discussion about use of the N word outside this context if we can help it.

    Thanks for your thoughts.
    I don't agree. I remember in high school English class when we read this book, I was reading aloud one of the sections where the N word is used and I stopped and said, "do I have to read this?" and my teacher said yes. It was interesting, to say the least. If we start glossing over some of our less proud histories, we're bound to repeat them.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    35,437
    vCash
    1500
    Ed Rendell was right...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,010
    vCash
    1500
    Let's not propagate the faux romantic revisionist history of this nation. It's bad enough as it is.

    Slavery wasn't pretty. Racism isn't a jolly ol' laugh. If certain facts, words, or events of history are hard to swallow ... GOOD. Some things should be hard to swallow.


    Now I don't think anyone should be forced to read the word aloud in public school, but that has less to do with the word in question and more respect for personal opinion and autonomy.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    6,615
    vCash
    1500
    "Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."
    -- Mark Twain

    "Adam was but human - this explains it all. He did not want the apple for the apple's sake, he wanted it only because it was forbidden. The mistake was in not forbidding the serpent; then he would have eaten the serpent."
    -- Mark Twain
    Young black males in recent years were at a far greater risk of being shot dead by police than their white counterparts 21 times greater i, according to a ProPublica analysis of federally collected data on fatal police shootings.

    But racism is dead. Right?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    40,047
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Labgrownmangoat View Post
    "Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."
    -- Mark Twain

    "Adam was but human - this explains it all. He did not want the apple for the apple's sake, he wanted it only because it was forbidden. The mistake was in not forbidding the serpent; then he would have eaten the serpent."
    -- Mark Twain
    Quite the turn of events that the guy who was openly against censorship has his worked censored years after his death.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    32,373
    vCash
    1490
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan56 View Post

    Personally, I disagree with this becasue I feel like it masks over the racism that was, and is so much a part of our culture. If my kids were to read this, I would want them to read the original text, as Twain had intended so that they could understand it more fully, and so that we could talk about it. I think that racism needs to be discussed so my kids can appreciate the issue's significance, and people's emotions associated with it.
    I agree 100% and to feel otherwise I honestly have no tolerance for....which is why I was glad this topic didn't come up.
    Rewriting the works of dead authors does not change history.

    Quote Originally Posted by North Country View Post
    I don't agree. I remember in high school English class when we read this book, I was reading aloud one of the sections where the N word is used and I stopped and said, "do I have to read this?" and my teacher said yes. It was interesting, to say the least. If we start glossing over some of our less proud histories, we're bound to repeat them.
    Rewriting history won't change the future. It's a disgrace to the book to change it's original writing and dishonest to children's education to pretend the word isn't in there. It is 100% necessary to include it and understand the times. You can't wipe away slavery by changing words and you can't hide it from kids.

    You LEARN from the past so that you don't repeat it.

    How far do we go with this anyway? Eliminate all negative words from classic works of literature until our kids are lied to (more than they already are) and have a completely false sense of history?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Valencia, CA
    Posts
    3,780
    vCash
    1500
    Yeah, I love the people on TV who thought this was a good idea because schools had banned the book because of the N-word.

    Apparently the best answer to censorship is more censorship.
    "If [Republicans] were around when Columbus set sail, they must have been founding members of the Flat Earth Society." -- Pres. Barack Obama

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    32,373
    vCash
    1490
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgersFan28 View Post
    Yeah, I love the people on TV who thought this was a good idea because schools had banned the book because of the N-word.

    Apparently the best answer to censorship is more censorship.
    I love the school and Wal-Mart book bans these days......it's like 1950 all over again. Will it ever end? Ignoring something doesn't make it go away......I've been trying that with Sarah Palin for 2 years now....

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The North Pole
    Posts
    3,774
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    I love the school and Wal-Mart book bans these days......it's like 1950 all over again. Will it ever end? Ignoring something doesn't make it go away......I've been trying that with Sarah Palin for 2 years now....

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The Land Beyond the Wall, VT
    Posts
    7,141
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by North Country View Post
    I don't agree. I remember in high school English class when we read this book, I was reading aloud one of the sections where the N word is used and I stopped and said, "do I have to read this?" and my teacher said yes. It was interesting, to say the least. If we start glossing over some of our less proud histories, we're bound to repeat them.
    I didn't understand your pont here. You said you didn't agree, but it appears we do about not glossing over the ugly parts of our history. I also agree with you that reading it aloud in class shouldn't be mandatory. I don't think it has much to do with learning, unless you're reading 'The Puppy Who Lost His Way' in Kindergarten, and learning how to actually read.

    Please explain where we don't agree.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    21,592
    vCash
    1500
    I am against censorship.

    This is stupid.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Valencia, CA
    Posts
    3,780
    vCash
    1500
    Others have justified this by citing how movies/tv programs contain words that are censored in order to present them on network TV, cable TV, airplanes, and other places. I'm having a bit of trouble knocking that one down logically.
    "If [Republicans] were around when Columbus set sail, they must have been founding members of the Flat Earth Society." -- Pres. Barack Obama

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Andyville
    Posts
    2,854
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgersFan28 View Post
    Others have justified this by citing how movies/tv programs contain words that are censored in order to present them on network TV, cable TV, airplanes, and other places. I'm having a bit of trouble knocking that one down logically.
    I'd say the difference in mediums should count for something. There's a difference in censoring something like South Park for people to enjoy on TV and censoring a book that is being studied. One is for education, the other entertainment.
    lol nothing matters

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •